• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cut Grey Golf Ball Review

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
United States United States
The best damn golf balls under 20 bucks.

That's what Cut Golf claims on their well put together site.

I decided to find out.

Who is Cut Golf you ask? They are a direct to consumer golf ball company that loves the game of golf and wants to make it more affordable for the masses to get tour level golf balls in their bags.

I'm a huge fan of the concept of the "Guerrilla Golf Ball" movement that is in full swing. From Vice, to Snell, to Cut...I dig it.

My current gamer is the formidable Srixon Z-Star. I love the length I get off the tee. The feel on all shots is great and the green side spin is 2nd to none for this hack.

How would the Cut Grey stack up?

Well, let's look at the specs:

Both are 3-piece Urethane.
Srixon: 338 dimples.
Cut: 312 dimples.
Srixon: 88 compression.
Cut: 80 compression.
Srixon: $39.99/dozen
Cut: $19.95/dozen

I have had the Srixon's in the bag for several years now so I am extremely familiar with their performance.

Off the tee I noticed that the Cut Grey had a little higher trajectory than I am used to. This wasn't a bad thing at all and I appreciated the extra height. No additional distance was noticed but I didn't notice a loss in distance either.

Iron shots felt crisp and had the same high trajectory I saw off the tee. This was a HUGE difference for me as I normally hit a lower trajectory shot and have to rely on spin to hold greens. There was no difference in distance or perceived spin as I was able to point and shoot.

Wedges...wedges are my bread and butter and are my babies. This is where I saw the biggest difference from the Srixon ZStar. Normally when I hit a chip I'll bring it in low, let it skip and stop with the amount of spin I get. It's predictable, playable and I like it. I did not see the same thing with the Cut Grey. There was a little more rollout than I am used to and it turned 3-5' putts into 5-8' putts. After I got used to the rollout I left shots a little short to allow for the rollout. Not a huge deal but that was my experience.

Conclusions...I think the Cut Grey is making a serious push to knock the Srixon's out of my bag. At $40/dozen I can literally go 2 for 1 by going with the Cut Grey.

Pros:
No distance loss or gain.
Higher trajectory.
Good looks.
Soft feel.

Cons:
Not as much spin as current gamer.

If you are in the market for a new ball for the new season, take Cut Golf up on their trial offer for $6.50/sleeve. I don't think you will be disappointed. I certainly wasn't!!!

Check them out here: Home

ImageUploadedByShot Talk1509935127.206375.jpg

ImageUploadedByShot Talk1509935140.725724.jpg

ImageUploadedByShot Talk1509935151.987427.jpg

Last edited:

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
The best damn golf balls under 20 bucks.

That's what Cut Golf claims on their well put together site.

I decided to find out.

Who is Cut Golf you ask? They are a direct to consumer golf ball company that loves the game of golf and wants to make it more affordable for the masses to get tour level golf balls in their bags.

I'm a huge fan of the concept of the "Guerrilla Golf Ball" movement that is in full swing. From Vice, to Snell, to Cut...I dig it.

My current gamer is the formidable Srixon Z-Star. I love the length I get off the tee. The feel on all shots is great and the green side spin is 2nd to none for this hack.

How would the Cut Grey stack up?

Well, let's look at the specs:

Both are 3-piece Urethane.
Srixon: 338 dimples.
Cut: 312 dimples.
Srixon: 88 compression.
Cut: 80 compression.
Srixon: $39.99/dozen
Cut: $19.95/dozen

I have had the Srixon's in the bag for several years now so I am extremely familiar with their performance.

Off the tee I noticed that the Cut Grey had a little higher trajectory than I am used to. This wasn't a bad thing at all and I appreciated the extra height. No additional distance was noticed but I didn't notice a loss in distance either.

Iron shots felt crisp and had the same high trajectory I saw off the tee. This was a HUGE difference for me as I normally hit a lower trajectory shot and have to rely on spin to hold greens. There was no difference in distance or perceived spin as I was able to point and shoot.

Wedges...wedges are my bread and butter and are my babies. This is where I saw the biggest difference from the Srixon ZStar. Normally when I hit a chip I'll bring it in low, let it skip and stop with the amount of spin I get. It's predictable, playable and I like it. I did not see the same thing with the Cut Grey. There was a little more rollout than I am used to and it turned 3-5' putts into 5-8' putts. After I got used to the rollout I left shots a little short to allow for the rollout. Not a huge deal but that was my experience.

Conclusions...I think the Cut Grey is making a serious push to knock the Srixon's out of my bag. At $40/dozen I can literally go 2 for 1 by going with the Cut Grey.

Pros:
No distance loss or gain.
Higher trajectory.
Good looks.
Soft feel.

Cons:
Not as much spin as current gamer.

If you are in the market for a new ball for the new season, take Cut Golf up on their trial offer for $6.50/sleeve. I don't think you will be disappointed. I certainly wasn't!!!

Check them out here: Home

View attachment 29549

View attachment 29550

View attachment 29551
Nice review.

OP
Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
For me, the KSig was basically identical in feel/performance to a ProV1. I'm not saying that is good. I was never a huge fan of the ProV1, but for $15 a dozen, I like the KSig good enough.

That was my hope in trying these over the ZStar. I wasn't disappointed.

OP
Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
I played my 2nd round with the Cut Grey on Sunday and I was thrilled with the performance! Couldn't be happier.

I spoke to Matt from Cut Golf last week, fantastic guy!

He was pleased with my review and we got to chatting and one thing led to another and I'm the newest Brand Ambassador for Cut Golf!!!

I'd encourage anyone interested in giving the balls a shot to use my promo-code and get 10% off. It is good for dozens, combos, hats, etc. Let's get the word out.

Here is the link to the site: SHOP

Here is my code: NICKT10

🔥 Latest posts

Members online