• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Daly gets serious with Harmon

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
John Daly has finally come to a startling conclusion: He thinks it's time for him to get serious about his game. Daly, a two-time major champion who lost his PGA TOUR card last year and had to rely on sponsor exemptions, said last week that he would start working with swing coach Butch Harmon. "Butch will push you. I never had anybody push me to do things," Daly said last week. "I need to be pushed hard. It's something that maybe should have been done a long time ago, but I was too stubborn. You get a little older and your eyes don't see things and you don't feel the same as you would normally."
Truth and Rumors | Galleries | Golf.com

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
He was on the "Bob and Tom" radio program this morning. He has a new book out with golf tips that's supposed to be pretty good. A cool guy.

figjam

Aug 29, 2007
Although we all love him just the way he is, losing a few pounds and doing some work in the gym would probably help his game no end.

West Coast Duffer

Orange County California
Oct 12, 2007
Although we all love him just the way he is, losing a few pounds and doing some work in the gym would probably help his game no end.

This is something i have been thinking about for awhile. Does anybody here workout or keep active other than golf? I feel my game could be better if I worked out or stayed in better shape.

figjam

Aug 29, 2007
This is something i have been thinking about for awhile. Does anybody here workout or keep active other than golf? I feel my game could be better if I worked out or stayed in better shape.

As I am rapidly approaching 40 I have decided to take up regular exercise to try to maintain some core strength and flexibility. I only do pushups and situps, plus some dips and dumb bells, but I am trying to do it regularly. Can't say it has improved my game yet as only just got back into it, but over the years I have found that I hit the ball better during the periods when I am doing strength training.

I have also developed some back problems over the last year or so, and think they might be improved by some strengthening of the core muscles.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I'm very active. I'm also 19, though. But there's an obvious benefit to one's golf game from exercise. Most of you have probably noticed that even on a cool day, it's easy to break a sweat at the range if you're really going after it. Breaking a sweat by repeating a few 1-2 second motions is definitely a sign that you're using a lot of muscle groups.

The better those muscle groups are trained and toned, the easier it is to control a fast swing, the more effortless it becomes, and the more speed you can produce.

And WBL, you may be able to make it around the loop without a wheelchair. :) Maybe.

To the guys that don't do much exercising, you'd be surprised as to how much better you feel. And for the heavier fellows, strength training builds muscle. More muscle to maintain forces your metabolism to burn more latent energy. Some minor strength training and a regular aerobic workout (exercise bike, treadmill) can do a lot more for you than you think.

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
No, JD needs to quit drinking beer and quit gambling. And he needs to learn how to grind.

I agree...he has become a parody of himself. I hear Taylormade dropped him. As far as getting his career back on track, that shipped may have sailed.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Great news!!!! JD has won two majors without any dedication to the game. The possabilities are endless if he commits to golf (which includes giving up drinking, gambling & starting going to the gym etc). I always wondered what could John Daly have achieved if he had Vijah Singhs work ethics, now we might find out.

solarbear88

Jan 3, 2007
I have always thought Daly was cool. But he is lazy and rather stupid, just look at some of his life choices. I reckon he has wasted his potential and don't really expect much out of him any more.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Great news!!!! JD has won two majors without any dedication to the game. The possabilities are endless if he commits to golf (which includes giving up drinking, gambling & starting going to the gym etc). I always wondered what could John Daly have achieved if he had Vijah Singhs work ethics, now we might find out.

Sadly I fear it will never happen. I really like the guy, one of the best natural golfing talents that has ever lived, but imo he is past the point of return to compete on Tour again. Too much water under the bridge, too many burgers, beers, rolls of the dice and divorce lawyers. Every time he turns over a new leaf, it seems that he enters a chapter even darker than the previous one.

Harmon is merely PR. He will have no effect unless Daly commits to changing everything else. The dude has a unique swing and one that Harmon will not change a huge amount. He may be able to help with things like alignment and aspects of his short game / putting, but really he needs to help JD on the mental approach.

He is a sponsors nightmare, a huge risk, sort of like a Golfing Russian Roulette. I doubt any pro golfer has churned though as many deals that that dude. Sure the crowds love him. He brings a lot to a game that suffers from drabness and tour cloning.

His two majors were unique for different reasons. In him prime he can shoot the lights out. Massive drives, aggressive irons, flawless putting. Who doesn't love that sort of golf? But how many times have we seen JD shoot though the leader board only to fall all over himself with a triple bogey and then he goes into free-fall. I doubt you can teach an old dog new tricks, but grinding and discipline are the two clubs he has always been missing from his bag.

I would love to see him continuing to compete. Good luck to him, say a prayer for him, but frankly I see JD resigned to the "Beyond the Pale" golfers graveyard.

(btw I hope he proves me wrong!!)

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
"It's something that maybe should have been done a long time ago, but I was too stubborn."

Maybe??? How could he not be certain at this point.

JD hit the self destruct button a long time ago and I doubt any real changes are going to happen now. Good luck to him though.

lamebums

300 yards into the woods.
Jul 4, 2007

I've been working out at the gym pretty regularly since April. Since then I've been able to add about 80 yards to my drives. +1 for working out to improve your golf game. Granted, my scores haven't improved because I'm hitting them further into the woods, but still... :laugh:

🔥 Latest posts