• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Darren Clarke - LEGEND

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Can't say much cept hahahahahahahahahaha. Anpother golfer from Norn Iron wins a Major.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Boring tournament. I think this year's was the worst of them all. Although I was rooting for Jimenez and he failed miserably yesterday.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Was that sexy chick kissing him at the end his new wife or daughter? I know he lost his wife to cancer.

In any case, well played Darren! The Euros are taking over after the "Tiger Era" it would seem.

shep3470

Apr 5, 2009
Omaha, NE
It was his wife, a former Ms. Ireland.

I have to agree, it was boring. I didn't even see the first 2 rounds because I was up in the Colorado mountians. I DVR'd them but could not force myself to sit through it. Only watched the leaders play the back nine today. Clarke seems like a very genuine guy. Good for him. I loved it when even Phil got close he was still playing with a smile.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Another fun tourney! Michelson came on strong on the front 9. Would have had a chance to put pressure on if he'd continued his run. DJ was putting pressure on until he put his ball in the water. That gave Clarke a 4-shot lead with 4 to play.

Watson's good performance... The young amateur shooting 65... Wind... rain... Links golf like we don't see here in the U.S. Great viewing, especially when the temps were above 100 here. Once we had our rounds in early a.m., the recliner and tv were the place to be.

Clarke interviewed well. There were a lot of good stories... Bjorn, Lewis, Clarke. Clarke's battle with his mental side after his wife's death and, then, to come back to win the "crown jewel" makes for interesting viewing. Two things caught my ear during his intereview(s). One was his visit with his agent a few months ago. He told his agent that, due to his age, this could be the last chance to win a major. So, he began training specifically for this tourney. As others were playing the Scottish Open last week, Clarke was practicing at Sandwich. He focused his entire effort toward this tourney, knew the course, had played the course in all possible weather conditions, and used that focus to win. The second was the comment from some advisor, "Let your attitude determine your golf, not your golf determine your attitude." Clarke took this tourney on with a smile and a postive attitude. He was going to take whatever game showed up and make the best of it. His attitude... an extremely positive one... determined the positive outcome of his great week of golf. If more of us would approach this game with that optimism... that attitude of laughing at and with ourselves... I truly believe we would score better and enjoy this game even more.

Great win, Darren!!!!!

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
There's nothing boring about shooting level par on that course in those conditions.

thekid65

Jan 2, 2009
Yeah, Kudos to Clarke for a well played tourney. I was wondering all weekend, and perhaps one of the Euros on this board can answer...do the Euros calculate their distance to the pin in yards, or meters? I spent a lot of time watching the British coverage this weekend...and it seemed all the announcers were referring to yards, not meters...which I thought was odd. Obviously isnt a huge difference on the short-yardage shots..but when you're talking about something over 220 or so, it does seem like it would make a difference.

harrison

Nov 3, 2010
definitely happy to see someone like this win he definitely deserves it and he played get given the conditions. I was really surprised with the Americans though, didn't think they had a chance going into the tournament then 6 ended up in the top 10 finishing spots not bad.

Barkz

Aug 26, 2010
Yeah, Kudos to Clarke for a well played tourney. I was wondering all weekend, and perhaps one of the Euros on this board can answer...do the Euros calculate their distance to the pin in yards, or meters? I spent a lot of time watching the British coverage this weekend...and it seemed all the announcers were referring to yards, not meters...which I thought was odd. Obviously isnt a huge difference on the short-yardage shots..but when you're talking about something over 220 or so, it does seem like it would make a difference.

We still talk in yards over here when it comes to Golf. I left school 22 years ago and have always been able to use the Metric system. Yet my parents and to a greater extent my grand parents still prefer to use the old Imperial system. Although if you watch any of the tournaments in mainland Europe, they will calculate in metres. It's just the UK who are stuck in their ways.

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
If you found it boring then your understanding of golf is extremely limited.

IG is in the minority now, not many NIers left without a Major under their belt. What a run they are having and all nice guys with plenty of charm and charm isn't handed out that generously.

shep3470

Apr 5, 2009
Omaha, NE
If you found it boring then your understanding of golf is extremely limited.

How does finding it boring mean our understanding of golf is extremely limited? Maybe it's because I am from the US and you are from the UK. If your understanding of the game is superior to mine, maybe you would enjoy watching the 2 worst ranked golfers in the world golf rankings go head to head. Or, perhaps, if you are superior in the aspect of golf knowledge, that handicap would be a tad better than 12.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
How does finding it boring mean our understanding of golf is extremely limited? Maybe it's because I am from the US and you are from the UK. If your understanding of the game is superior to mine, maybe you would enjoy watching the 2 worst ranked golfers in the world golf rankings go head to head. Or, perhaps, if you are superior in the aspect of golf knowledge, that handicap would be a tad better than 12.

Then I am a total Golf idiot as well because I found it BORING. I'm sorry I'm not at your knowledge level but I'll do my best to train and read all this year to see if I find fascination next year on a Major decided between Sergio Garcia and Sponge Bob Square Pants

🔥 Latest posts