• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Dave - How do you like the Hogan tape?

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Bravo said:
Have you watched it yet? Decent playback quality?

I'm not going to get to watch till the weekend. We have one VCR in the livingroom and my wife would rather do just about anything than watch a golf video.

We're babysitting the grandson this weekend so I should have plenty of time since her world revolves around him when we have him. I'm planning on watching then heading to the range at least once this weekend.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
Hey Dave, have you read Pennick's Little Red Book? I ask this simply because I have 3 books on golf that I tend to review pretty regularly, and they are Pennick, Hogan's 5 Lessons, and Zen Golf. Those 3 cover every aspect of feel, mechanics, and psych that I think I'll ever need. Not that I can be helped, mind you. ;)

You sir, have great taste in reading material.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I've read it and go back to it often. I live near Austin where he taught and know a few people who took lessons from him. He is a legend is these parts. There's even a bronze statue of him at the Golfsmith headquarters store.

I got Zen Golf and Tour Tempo for Christmas and have been studying both. Zen's gonna take a few reads to sink in I think.

The Hogan tape Bravo sent relates the Tour Tempo books and the Y & L drill. I'm hoping these can help me but if recent play is any indication, I'm screwed.

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
Nah. Ya gotta dip before you can climb.

Remember Confucius (or was it Bob Uecker) said, "From the valley, you can only see the mountain."

UUUUuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Bravo said:
Have you watched it yet? Decent playback quality?

I got to watch the video Sat. afternoon. You're right about seeing the swing vs. reading about it.

I thought it was interesting that some of the things in the book were not in Hogans swing. I was kinda glad to see that he didn't really keep his elbows that close at address. I had tried that and it feels awkward.

The playback quality was fine, typical of vcr. When I get the surround picked out I'm gonna try to sneak in a dvr. My original wiring plan got scrapped over the weekend so I'm back to square one.

Thanks again, I'll be watching this a few times over the coming weeks.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Oh make sure you get a DVR....this will be one of the best decisions you have ever made.

Glad you liked the tape. I want to get a DVD burner soon to dump programs onto DVD.

🔥 Latest posts