• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Dave Pelz Clinic

ecooke21

Sep 6, 2006
I figured I would write a short review of my experience at the Dave Pelz one day clinic. My Fiance bought it for me for fathers day.. To be honest, I dont think I would have purchased it for my self....BUT, I am VERY glad I took it..

I arrived at the CC and got carted up to the rear practice range. we had our intro's and were each given a pvc contraption that we assembled and were told what it was a "Tee Square" for alignment purposes.. It was was 3 pieces of pvc and a fitting that formed a "T". They really emphasized on alignment, and ball placement. After a rehearsed intro speach by one of the instructors, we were split into three groupss of 6. there were 3 instructors total. We concentrated on the Sand, pitch, and chip shot.

I was in group "B", we started learning the sand shot. We met our instructor, and started using a "Bunker board". I have to say they really felt like i was swinging in a bunker.. I had some very usefull tips from the instructor.
errpage

Second, I went to the chip shot... It is VERY uncomfortable to stand in the positon for the shot. After 10 minutes, I got it down and made a bunch of good chips..

Lastly was the Pitch shot, very basic shot, short backswing and follow through type motion.. nothing too complicated.. I was hitting some good pitches by the end of my "pitch session"..

Lastly was the putting session.. This was awesome! We were all fitted for our putters. The way pelz teaches putting is weird, BUT (IMO) effective. EVERYONE had to shorten there putters, or choke up on them.. Eyes over the ball, and a square to square putter stroke. we focussed on rythem and distance control.. I feel this was the best part of the class..

I couldnt wait to try my new technics on the course, so I played 18 the next day.. MAN! I dropped about 15-18 strokes off my game.. My best round this year was 120 ( I know Im a hacker) and I shot a 103 yesterday! I carried the Pelz technics,(grip, posture, etc) into my other clubs and it made a HUGE difference for me!! On top of that I am pretty sure I only three putted 3 times.. the rest were two putts, 1 one putt, and chip from about 25 feet out.. I rushed a few putts, I would have done even better If I took my time like I should have..

I know My scores are still high, but this is the closest I have ever come to 100.. I am stoked.. I hope to break 100 next time I go out.. My buddies were all impressed on how much my game improved from the clinic..

TheWOAT

Sep 26, 2006
Congrats on the low score.

Im thinking of buying his shortgame book. Yesterdays round I had 6 three-putts (39 putts total), and 8 flubbed chips and pitches inside of 40 yards. I shot a 97, two off my all time best score. I couldnt believe I had wasted about 14 shots. Over 60 strokes were putts or half wedges and chips...

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
That's great man. I can remember when I finally learned to chip. It was actually out of a Pelz/Mickelson article. I practiced for a few weeks and went from totally sucking at it to being darn good, now it's the deadliest part of my game. My GW has about 3times as many birds as my putter. Keep at it and not only will you go under 100 but never go over it again. Once you can chip well, it basically takes 2 screw up's to make a bogey.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I took a one-day Pelz class a few years ago, and I agree that the putting tips were the best part of the class. The putter fitting was a revelation, and I've since adopted a shorter putter and a more straight-through stroke, although I do think it's unnatural to make a true straight-back, straight-through stroke - too much hand manipulation. But I like his method for playing break - pick apex distance, multiply by 3 to get aimpoint.

I also really liked the bunker shot method.

Pelz uses statistical analysis to develop his methods, and if you MERGE his methods that make sense to you on an instinctive level, it can improve your game.

The only problem I have with the Pelz method is when you buy into it 100%. Then golf becomes too mechanical.

🔥 Latest posts