• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible.....

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
I just picked this up the other day and decided to give it a read. I know alot about Pelz's theories from his appearences on the Golf Channel and his articles in Golf Magazine, but I finally decided to give one of his books a try as the local Barnes and Noble did not have any other golf books I was interested in. To be honest, I was never expecting to enjoy the read as I have always found Pelz to be a bit arrogant on his TV appearences and the price he charges for his schools is astromically high which seemed to confirmed his arrogance.

It came as quite a shock when I started to read the book that I was enjoying it. Even more so, I found myself agreeing with a lot of his theories (putting excluded, I am a beleiver in the die at the hole school rather than the 17 inches by the hole school) and teachings. I am only about a third of the way through the book and have not had the opportunity to go out and try some of the drills and swing changes, but they seem like they would work as advertised.

Has anyone gone through this process or one of Pelz's schools? Does this stuff actually work for the amateur or do you have to be golfing at a professional level in order to take full advantage of the techniques?

Really intersting stuff. There is even some cross-over to Wishon's book in regards to Tom Kite and equipment specs. Nothing earth shattering, but I found it interesting how both Pelz and Wishon run with a similar train of thought on equipment specs.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Now you've got me wanting that book. I like Pelz. I've watched his shows on GC and I also agree with the 17" by the hole theory on putting (works for me). He also says alot of stuff that I don't agree with but his list of putting tips (in my mind) is pretty solid. :)

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I was considering this book today at the book store after my Hoing session (see thread in Equiptment talk). But decided on Hogan's 5 lessons due to all the positive press it's had on this site. (mainly Dave). Let us now how you find it.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I woudl rather boil my testicles in oil than read that book.Its not for me:)

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Now you've got me wanting that book. I like Pelz. I've watched his shows on GC and I also agree with the 17" by the hole theory on putting (works for me). He also says alot of stuff that I don't agree with but his list of putting tips (in my mind) is pretty solid. :)

He also has a putting bible which you may like. Since I disagree with his founding principle of putting (17 inches by the hole) it probably will not end up on my shelf, but it may be just the thing for you.

I was considering this book today at the book store after my Hoing session (see thread in Equiptment talk). But decided on Hogan's 5 lessons due to all the positive press it's had on this site. (mainly Dave). Let us now how you find it.

I have seen it on the shelf for years now, just never bought it as there have been other books I found that I like better. This was the first time I found it on the shelf and did not find anything else I wanted more. Like I said in the first post, it paints a wonderful picture on how to improve your short game (inside 100 yards) but I am kind of looking to see if it really works before I spend the amount of time required to change my short game. The best examples he had in the book were Tom Kite, Payne Stewart (the book was published in 1999, so it came out prior to his death and apparently prior to his 2nd US Open, come to think of it, it is also another cross over to Wishon's book...), Lee Janzen, and Annika Sorenstam. All acheived success after working with Pelz and obviously Phil had some success after working with him, but will it work for me or any other average amateur?

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast

Deep in thought
Sep 6, 2005
Some people absolutely hate Pelz, but I think his ideas and explanations can be very useful for some players.

The big thing for me with Pelz is his book really helped me develop a framework that I was able to use, and with the way I tend to think about things start to develop feel for the short game shots. I think that for analytical sorts the book can be quite useful as a way to help develop feel for the short game -- over time I discovered that I had begun to get a feel for how much I wanted to take the club back and how far to go through, I wasn't stuck with having to envision everything along the clockface, I had developed feel for the shots.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Pelz

I admire his application and anyone that teaches Mickelson to hit better lob shots has to be respected,but I hate all the science applied to putting and the short game.I have a copy of Seve's short game vhs,and its the opposite of Pelz,full of feel and touch,little technical stuff,just an attempt to instill in you the need to work on feel.He does tell you the simple things,where the ball should be positioned etc etc,but thats it.When I say man Eddie and that frigging robot on the green I have to watch some of Seve's vhs as an antidote.Pelz talks of the 'circle of acceptance' or whatever,when hitting 50 yarders,Seve and Rotella tell you to try and hole every shot.Its mind-boggling stuff and not for me,although as I said I am intrigued on his technique he is giving Mickleson (strengthen left hand,weaken right hand and this gives max loft going back,with a 60* and the face wide open it becomes easy to hit the ball vertical and catch it,Mickelsons stock crown pleaser.Its actually easy,but doing his lobs in a tournament is another matter)

benk

Ben
Dec 4, 2006
asfd

I'm with Dave. I had more of a pelz type short game for 3 years [ without knowing it ], and thought I got up and down alot [ I averaged 78 with a 6 green in regulation ], but it was inconsistent when it comes to spin. I just hit a lot of low shots that 1 hopped and stopeed, and didn't make many. I also had a little bit more of a straight back straight through stroke.

When I switched to Stan Utley, my short game and putting just absolutley took off. I'm making a chip ever few rounds now, and my distance control on my putting is so much better.

I could go on about how straight back straight through is basically outside-outside, but that's for another time.

Dave, where could I find seve's dvd? He's my short game idol [ along with Tom Pernice ], and I didnt' know he had that dvd.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I woudl rather boil my testicles in oil than read that book.Its not for me:)

Amen, could not have said it better myself. I picked up his book after it first came out and went through it...it completely messed up what little short game I had. i am talking about I was to the point that I was using a putter from 40-50 yds off the green. It took me 3 seasons to get his crap out of my head...

I should say that I am not the analytical type and his methods fly in the face of how I am in almost everything that I do. Wish I knew that b4 buying the book...

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
This will sound strange coming from me, but I

do not believe it takes a Bible-length book to cover either the short game or putting. Ben Crenshaw has a very short video on putting that covers the subject pretty well, as does Ledbetter and others. All videos on golf will have good sections on putting like those of Nicklaus and Strange.

I believe in sound technique with all shots involved in this game, but it just doesn't take that many words. Some are suggesting Peltz is a bit full of himself, and I hope that is not true. However, I remember on one of his television episodes where he was seriously teaching how to skim a shot across the water! I realized then that he was a little out of touch with reality or was very much full of himself and his ability. Concerning that ability, he has to be a better teacher than a performer. But I have to admit, he is making some pretty big bucks doing what he does. I think a lot of people fall for him because it is always brought up that he worked with NASA as if that would make him infallible when it comes to any part of golf.

Sincerely, Cypressperch

(For those of you who cannot believe that I would criticize a book for its length, I would think a complete book on golf could be done in 200 pages provided it was well illustrated.)

benk

Ben
Dec 4, 2006
dsf

The putting book is a joke. Seriously, do you have to have a bible for that? Stan Utley explained his in his book, in like, 2 paragraphs, lol.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Benk

Unfortunately it never cam out on DVD but they do come up on VHS,and those with kids older than ten as I have will luckily still have a functioning VHS player!

Its truly inspirational,when I play well I just have an image that I am Seve around the greens.I hit my chips and pitches with a fluidity I wish I could bottle.I like his flowing body rotation,even on short pitches,hit from the middle of the stance and a lob wedge,you get third bounce check and the ball rolls nicely to the hole.The Seve VHS makes you feel invincible,the Pelz book just fills you head with technical angles and that sort of stuff.

🔥 Latest posts