• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Dear God help me... I searched and found a Scotty Cameron again

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
Years ago, I fell in love with the Cameron Napa putters. Beautiful heel shafted blade with a big, almost square, toe. Wanted one bad. I have had a Ping Anser 2 in the bag since 1987.... yep... Eighty-Seven. I used a Bulls-Eye heel shafted beauty for one summer (it looks a lot like a Napa or a Wilson 8802).

But, from what my admittedly limited Cameron knowledge, the Napas have not been made since 1999 (except for a limited edition run in 2006, Napa Valley) and they are expensive as hell... roughly the size of a house payment for a house with about 50 birdhouses out back. :laugh:

So I began courting the other heel shafted, blade style Cameron putters. Each time I go online and search for auctions, etc. I carefully make sure my Ping Anser 2 is not looking, lest it get pissed and let me down next time I tee it up. So far it is none the wiser.

But I'm back searching (daily, I admit it) for Cameron Napas, then I quickly move on to the Coronado, the Coronado Two Oil Cans (perhaps my favorite) and the Circa 62 #1 and the Studio #1.

And damn do I want one.... regardless of the fact that I firmly believe that putting is 95% talent. I have had my current putter in the bag for 20 years, so I'm no ho by any stretch of the imagination. If/when I get one of the above Cameron's I'm good for a LONG time. We have a house for sale, and plenty of cash in the bank, not to mention a stimulus check, and profits coming from the sale of the house if it ever freaking sells (nice little first house, only 7 years old, suburban neighborhood with pool, shopping close by, easy access to interstate, best school system in the Indy suburbs, but all I have in my backyard is another guy's backyard. :( ) Bottom line is I have the $ now.... and might not care to spend it down the road, when moving expenses, the need for new furniture pops up after we move, etc....

So... all you Cameron experts (you know who you are) point me in the right direction, and make any corrections to the following.

Point A - Custom Shop Restoration is sweet as hell... but I'm looking for something to game right now, and don't want the thing to be all rusty and have the surface/finish look like business section of grannies underpants. Sure, the rustly old thing might roll the ball just fine, but I'm looking for a 7 out of 10 or better.

Point B - Napas are too freaking expensive. Will they ever come back at $300 retail in any shop, pro shop, or high end golf store? For the love of God, John Daly was nice and sober the last time Napas were readily available.

Point C - Circa and Studio #1's, and the Coronados...... any other heel shafted models out there? Newports, slant-neck Coronados, etc. can suck an egg in my opinion... I have a Ping Anser 2 and want a hell shafted putter I can "swing."

Point D - Finishes... are they really that tough to maintain? How does th Oil Can compare to the others? Tougher, easier to maintain? Is the Gun Blue the toughest to keep looking good?

Point E - Non-Cameron refinishing. For a guy like me, who will game this putter, is it really that big of a deal if done well?

Point F - I know they are overpriced, I know they won't necessarily make me a better putter, and I know that there are other custom models out there... don't really need to hear about any of that stuff from the haters... but hate and post if you would like! No bother to me at all, have at it.

Cameron Napa Oil Can.jpg Cameron Napa Gun Metal.jpg

Cameron Coronado Oil Can.jpg Cameron Circa 61 Charcoal Mist.jpg

My prior moments of weakness is here

http://www.shottalk.com/forum/equipment-talk/14739-question-scotty-experts.html

After I wised up... I even had to start a thread announcing I was not getting a Cameron, if only to pacify my own mind for a while. That feeling has expired and I'm back ON the wagon!!!

http://www.shottalk.com/forum/equipment-talk/15337-i-ve-decided-i-will-not-getting-scotty.html

Cheers,
Bryan in Indy
Cameron Napa Oil Can.jpg
Cameron Napa Gun Metal.jpg
Cameron Coronado Oil Can.jpg
Cameron Circa 61 Charcoal Mist.jpg

OP
usa1950

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
I asking questions of ebay sellers....... getting closer and closer....... :emot-ange

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
A - Yeah it is, you'll get it back looking better than new with face remilled, new grip, shaft & hc. The gb and oilcans are spectacular after resto. Count on about $180 (including tax & shipping bothways) for stock offerings. Custom grips & HC's can add up.

B - Don't count on a $300 napa. I've seen some pretty nice one's for $350. That seems to be the price point. Scotty restos go around $550. Prices seem to fluctuate, but Napa's have been pretty consistent.

C - DelMar 3.5 models are a heel shafted half-mallet. The have a very similar feel to a napa. Cameron Mizunos, also have that blade style similar to a Coronado.

Don't forget to look at the American Classic VII napa style putter. The stock leather grips are usually pulled by the sellers before sale, read descriptions. Here's an example from E-Bay (caveat - I don't know the seller).
Scotty Cameron Classic VII Napa putter - eBay (item 300230614509 end time Jun-08-08 17:15:22 PDT)

D - Oilcan is the toughest to maintain, followed closely by the gun blue. The putter needs to be wiped after play & kept oiled with baby-oil. Use a headcover.

E - Aftermarket refinishing is good from the right sources. It's a refinish & not a full restore, but from the right source the finish is pretty much the same. Also, if you need the face milled, then buy a new grip, shaft & hc, the price isn't too great of a discount from Scotty.

F - Overpriced? depends on how you look at it. If you don't beat it up, you'll probably be able to get what you paid for it if you sell at a later date.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
I have never owned one of the maintainable finished Scotties, but I know that it would not work out too well for me. A friend had one of the oil cans and maintained it religously and still ended up with spots on it from fertilizer. All of my Camerons have the Pro Platinum style finish and I have been happy with that. A once over with a towel if wet and back into the head cover, no issues.

The Charcoal mist finish of the Circa's looks cool and I believe is maintainance free. I would lean toward that finish if you can find it aftermarket or you get a Circa.

Finding a good deal on a Napa? Good luck with that. I know Eracer score 2 Napas on a steal, but that is the only success story I have heard regarding Napas.

wirehair

Apr 29, 2005
I have never owned one of the maintainable finished Scotties, but I know that it would not work out too well for me. A friend had one of the oil cans and maintained it religously and still ended up with spots on it from fertilizer. All of my Camerons have the Pro Platinum style finish and I have been happy with that. A once over with a towel if wet and back into the head cover, no issues.

Let me put a +1 on that. I collect Oilcan & gunblue, but play stainless & pro-plat. Look seriously at that ACVII.

Another thought, see if you can find a genuine 8802. They'll be a little beat up, but a decent gamer won't cost more than a Napa. Some of the later re-issues can be downright reasonable. Do an e-bay search for 8802.

Another one you might consider is this Bettinardi BB2.
Nice!!! Bettinardi Milled BB2 Napa 8802 Putter - eBay (item 350067513484 end time Jun-10-08 08:56:10 PDT)

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Another thought, see if you can find a genuine 8802. They'll be a little beat up, but a decent gamer won't cost more than a Napa. Some of the later re-issues can be downright reasonable. Do an e-bay search for 8802.

Yes, a Wilson 8802 can be had fairly cheaply. I ended up getting a Wilson 8813 (an 8802 with a horizontal and vertical alignment stripe) for under $50 in great condition on the bay a few years ago. The original 8802's can get up there in price, but the re-issues are relatively cheap and fairly easy to find in good condition.

OP
usa1950

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007

titleistnut

Jun 5, 2008
i have a friend of mine who does a lot of used club sales on ebay . he has a napa oil can up for bid right now. a little more than 2 days on it. bid is at 107.51. here is the item #350067517164 to the putter. hope this helps in your decision.

OP
usa1950

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
titleistnut.... thanks. The 33 inches scares me a bit, (I'm 6'0" and built like Calcavechia rather than like Tiger) but I truly love the look of the Oil Can Napa and am "watching this item in myebay" as I type this.

titleistnut

Jun 5, 2008
i know exactly what you mean. i 6'2" and built like craig stadler. i personally like short putters. i guess cause i like to bend over enough to keep my gut out of the way of my arms during my stroke. anyway, good luck in your search, and i'm glad you at least took a look at that putter. i hit a few putts with it, and it feels great. also it sets up beautifully setting up for your putt.:smilie_ti:smilie_ti:smilie_ti

wirehair

Apr 29, 2005

Golfer4life

May 11, 2008
Yikes! I agree with the fellow members, Napas are hard to score at a good price and the finishes you like are the hardest to maintain.

My gamer is a GSS Cameron & Co. so I don't have to worry about the finish that much.

American Classics are super cool putters and you can find some for better price than Napas at this point.

Good luck!

OP
usa1950

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
I have spent perhaps the least amount of $ of any poster on ST in the last 20 years.

I used to work on hte PGA and Senior tour, and got a free set of irons from a Tommy Armour Rep, and traded them in for a set of Wilson Staff Forged Cavities. I had to throw in $25 for the 2 iron! Free WS Sand Wedge still in the bag. Ping Anser 2 Putter from 1987 or 1988, so long ago I cannot remember. $35 for a new Ping back then. I was still rocking the old TM Burner Bubble (with about a 250 CC head) as recently as two years ago. Got that for free at a Tour event back in the day. I could go 275+ when I really pounded it, and got it out there pretty good most swings. But in the summer of 05 I broke down an bought a year old model MacGregor V-Foil 8.5 degree and love it... still use it. It's a 420 CC that was on sale for $99, but I had a $25 gift card from my daughers softball team, and a 15% off coupon for Dicks, so it's, what, a $65 driver for me. The Ping 1 iron in my bag was given to me, the guy could not hit it. Bought a TM Rescue off the bay a month ago for $45 new. It's the "mid" model, the ones right before the duals and the draw and all that nonsense. Love it, crush it, straight as hell and high as I would want. The half-staff (about half size of a staff bag) golf bag that I have in leather, with Michelob on the side, came from a previous job, and was had for nothing.

I had about $175 invested in my entire bag. But when I dip into the 70's for most of the summer when I play most, why change much?

But I just pulled the trigger on a 35 inch Scotty Cameron Studio Design Model #2 with the Gun Blue finish (good Lord, should a putter have a name that long?) for $157. The same model (maybe in slightly better shape, a 9.5 instead of my 9) but with a crappy plain white headcover went for $190 yesterday, so I'm feeling good!

A nice little heel blade style putter with an interesting sight line running across the flange. It is not as heel shafted as the Napas or the Coronados, but the design of the hosel makes it appear more heel shafted than it is, which I like. It comes with the headcover and that little divot tool thingy, which will come in handy when I need to poke/prod one of the kids to go get me a beer while I watch TV.

When one nearly DOUBLES the value/investment of his or her bag with the purchase of ONE club, do you become a SUPER HO, win some award, or am I just plain stupid???? Better start using this little guy. :scotty:

SD #2 face.jpg

SD #2 sight line.jpg

SD #2 sole.jpg

I abhor lining up the logo/compression markings on the ball with my intended target line, or drawing lines on the ball with a sharpie and using it to aim when marking my ball. In fact, I place the ball down in such a way so at address, I see NO logos or nothing, just a plain white top. I'm looking forward to seeing a line on my putter parallell to the target line, rather than on the target line. That is... I think so. I often fiddle with my target line while address ing the ball, making little adjustments to my intended line (half a ball more one way or the other based on what I see when I'm over the ball) so I think this model might be great for me.
SD #2 face.jpg
SD #2 sight line.jpg
SD #2 sole.jpg

🔥 Latest posts