• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Death of Moe Norman

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
IrishGolfer said:
Thanks Bravo

I've spent a bit of time reading about this Dude, Moe Norman. It does seems that he could have been a major champion, but for personal reasons, which is a pity, but I would have loved to have seen this guy hit shots. He sounds like a fascinating guy.

I found a good article. Here's a few snippits that I liked...

Moe's words...
"Be your own best friend -- have a good attitude,"
"Golf isn't supposed to be work. It's to have fun. So have fun!" ;)

On the course, Moe was certainly a sight to see. With a limited and mismatched wardrobe, he often played with his pants up over his ankles and a stained shirt hanging out of his trousers.
GOD, I'LL BET HE WOULD HAVE SIGNED TO THE GOLF SANDALS PEOPLE!!

http://www.failuremag.com/arch_sports_moenorman.html
I saw footage of him on the range. He was amazing. It was also fun to listen to him. He would hit a shot and then start blurting... "This is too easy." Hit a ball... "How do you make this hard?" Hit a ball... Drop the club... "This is too easy. Give me a hard game to try. This is just too easy."

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Give me a hard game to try

bdcrowe said:
I saw footage of him on the range. He was amazing. It was also fun to listen to him. He would hit a shot and then start blurting... "This is too easy." Hit a ball... "How do you make this hard?" Hit a ball... Drop the club... "This is too easy. Give me a hard game to try. This is just too easy."

BD
That's how I sound out on the course, usually on the 1st tee. Then within 5 minutes (or 6 swipes) you can here me sobbing, on my kness, a quivering wreck after a Lord of the Shank exhibition, followed by a top, thin, sclaff etc.

Sounds like Moe walked the walk. I stagger, stumble and trip in between my high levels of BS. But hey, who doesn't? :eek:

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
IrishGolfer said:
BD
That's how I sound out on the course, usually on the 1st tee. Then within 5 minutes (or 6 swipes) you can here me sobbing, on my kness, a quivering wreck after a Lord of the Shank exhibition, followed by a top, thin, sclaff etc.

Sounds like Moe walked the walk. I stagger, stumble and trip in between my high levels of BS. But hey, who doesn't? :eek:
I feel better now, after your sobbing comment. I'm not the Lone Ranger!

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
OK - let's all go the Golf Psychiatry business...

We'd make a mint.

I am still suffering from breaking the shaft on my Sonartec two weeks back.

Don't like the new shaft as much as the stock.

Probably need to write Sonartec and get a stock shaft from them and have it replaced.

what a mess.

I could have taken a page from the Book of Moe.

Chapter 1, Verse 1

He WAS an interesting character wasn't he??

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Sonartec

Bravo said:
OK - let's all go the Golf Psychiatry business...

We'd make a mint.

I am still suffering from breaking the shaft on my Sonartec two weeks back.

Don't like the new shaft as much as the stock.

Probably need to write Sonartec and get a stock shaft from them and have it replaced.

what a mess.

I could have taken a page from the Book of Moe.

Chapter 1, Verse 1

He WAS an interesting character wasn't he??

Bravo

I have a friend here in Ireland that used to caddy on the US Tour for Mariyama?? He commuted to Tokyo between events (can you belive that???!!)He's now back here (with Japanese wife and kids) and settled in Dublin. He's recently signed up (among other golf related things) as the sole agent for Sonartec. I'm kinda hoping that he'll chuck me a few samples. I love my VSteel but I'll prostitute myself for anything, if it's going for free.

I was chatting to him the other week. Word is that Todd Hamilton used a Sonartec (with a TM headcover) en route to winning the British Open. He used it a lot to chip with. TH was a drinking buddy of Jude, as they both lived in Japan. Anyway if the freebies are a comin' have you any recommendations on those Sonartec hybrids.

I've been known to carry a 7 wood from time to time. (most of my elite golfing buddies think it's a ladies club, as they crack their 1 and 2 irons down the pipe). It's a Mizuno Blue Rage. Although I'm a fan of a 7 wood, I don't find this the easiest to hit or judge distance with. So I'd be game to try something a bit different.

I still carry and use a 3 iron and 4 iron. The hybrid would be something for the occasional bad lie, or when I want to put a bit of snow on the ball coming into a hard green. Thoughts?

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
IG:

I don't have their hybrids. I have their fairway metals - the SS-03 14* and 19*.

I am going to try out a Sonartec hybrid in the next couple of weeks though.

I love the clubs - have only played them since the Springtime. They are characterized by a mid-height - boring - flight. They do *not* balloon. Gets up about halfway, hits the fairway and rolls a mile.... When I bought the 3 wood, I thought that I would use it from the fairway primarily.

Our windy season here is the Springtime and I found that the club was absolutely superior into the wind from the tee. Much better than my TM R540 which bombs it out high. So what I found is that the Sonartec 14* is a perfect complement to todays drivers which hit the ball so high...

I use the club from the tee now about 30 - 50% of the time - depending upon wind conditions, hole length and fairway width. It's my "second driver" -that is why I am so sick about the new shaft...This is not the most forgiving club and I do not recommend it for beginners or strugglers. It can help mid and low handicappers tremendously if they like it.

BTW - I have hit several shots with the club in the 250-260 range. This on soft fairways. I marked off one in particular that went 268 off a tight lie. I can only imagine what you might get on a links with the club...

In this regard, you may want to consider one of these for windy play.

BTW - Hamilton did use the club in the Open. Sonartec had large ads in Golfweek but could not mention him by name bc he is uncompensated. They would say,, "The Open Champion used Sonartec in his victory" etc. and "Secret weapon in 2004 Open Championship used by Champion".

It IS well documented that Sonartec is #3 in the bag on the US Tour and they pay only two players - Nick Price and somebody else I cant remember.

Guys are taking their Callaway headcovers off the Sonartec and blasting away with it....

Staff online

Members online