• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Definitive Hogan Article

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
www.golfinternationalmag.com and click on the hogan article by luther blacklock, this has been serialised in the last few issues of the magazine and has made for great reading from one of the premier coaches in the UK

One for the Hogan purists and also to help people understand the five fundamentals as well.

benk

Ben
Dec 4, 2006
afsdf

I have been really busy lately, so I only got to skim through it. My former teaching pro actualy is good friends with luthar, having met him at the Vegas summit [ with the Harmons ], and actually helped Luthar present his presentation. I am going to ask more about him, but when we had our discussion about Jim Hardy and what Hogan did, he showed pictures of Luthar swinging the club and how he said Hogan did it. Sadly, what Luthar did was not very close to what Hogan did, but obviously, these are 3 pictures that I saw 3 months ago, so don't take that to heart. I'm going to ask him about this when I see him next[ our club is closed right now ], and I'll post what he says.

But to the article, going through it, I found something that almost made me laugh.

I believe that Hogan (like most great players) did shift plane in the downswing – but he did so with one vital amendment: HOGAN SHIFTED TO THE PLANE AT IMPACT AND NOT BELOW IT.
Hogan swung the clubhead back a little above his Optimum Biomechanical Swing Plane (OBSP – i.e. a line drawn from the ball up through the sternum, as you see above) and then shifted to the OBSP as he reversed the gears into the downswing to strike the ball. As is so often the case in golf, what Hogan felt he did and what he actually did were two different things.

He went above the plane that Luthar specifies? Are you joking? I thought this was a very interesting comment, maybe I didn't understand it correctly. Is he saying that [ It shows a pic with a red line showing going above the shoulder plane ] that hogan took the plane Luthar specified?

I did really like the grip segment though, and that the Tiger/Jack thing was very educational.

Anyway, will post when I get more info on Luthar.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
In his book Hogan states clearly the plane will shift,not as a deliberate action but simply because the right shoulder comes round slightly under the posture plane,its a natural move.

OP
charnockpro

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
But to the article, going through it, I found something that almost made me laugh.

I believe that Hogan (like most great players) did shift plane in the downswing – but he did so with one vital amendment: HOGAN SHIFTED TO THE PLANE AT IMPACT AND NOT BELOW IT.
Hogan swung the clubhead back a little above his Optimum Biomechanical Swing Plane (OBSP – i.e. a line drawn from the ball up through the sternum, as you see above) and then shifted to the OBSP as he reversed the gears into the downswing to strike the ball. As is so often the case in golf, what Hogan felt he did and what he actually did were two different things.

He went above the plane that Luthar specifies? Are you joking? I thought this was a very interesting comment, maybe I didn't understand it correctly. Is he saying that [ It shows a pic with a red line showing going above the shoulder plane ] that hogan took the plane Luthar specified?

Thats what he is suggesting was that hogan may not have taken that direct route it was maybe a little flatter, but he moved from OBSP to impact on a slightly lower plane

OP
charnockpro

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
Still no feedback? 83 views!! must have some people who read the article

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Good article, the question i have is about the grip though. Havent we been told time and time again that the griip needs to be more in the fingers than the palm? Thats probably the single biggest tip I hear about the grip. In this article you see the grip go all the way up into the palm...am I wrong? Whats the deal?

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I wilkl give feedback,but it need some time to post it! bit busy at the mo

🔥 Latest posts