• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Demo Day!

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Love these things - get to skip out of work for a few hours and pound balls for free :D

OEMs available today were: Titleist, Cobra, PING, Cleveland and Mizuno.

My original menu plan was:

Irons: MP-58, MP-52, MX-300, AP-2
Driver: ZL

Irons -

MX-300

I warmed up with the MX-300 shafted with DG S300.

Looks - I really liked the way they look and set-up, these do not look like game improvement irons at all A++ for looks.

Feel - Not as soft as I was expecting - oh wait, that was because my swing isn't worth shit right now. I pured a few and they felt good tho. B

Forgiveness - Which brings me to forgiveness. I've read a ton of reviews proclaiming how forgiving these are. Now I could feel every mishit, and I had plenty. The ball still stayed relatively on line and distance, but the shock you get up your spine just turns me off. So forgiving yes - if you don't mind super harsh feedback. I hated this. C-

Overall - B. I'd need to feel better about my game before I would game these if you can believe that coming from a guy who still shoots around 80 on a 6800 yard track.

The rest...

AP-2, MP-58, MP-52

Too punishing - by this I mean specifically the feedback on non pured shots. Distance, and trajectory was similar for all irons I tested, but for the amount of time I get out there, I'm not going to get to enjoy the feeling of the perfectly pured shot like I used to - so I'm sticking with the eye-2 for now.

Although I did like the MX-200, not sure if my ego would allow me to play them tho ;)

Drivers -

Cobra ZL - Hated it, hated the look the feel, the weight and I pull sky hooked everything. It had some shaft I have never heard of in it, javelin something or other.

PING G15 - Nice driver, seemed very long, I hit it really high and had a tendency to draw a little too much. I would like to try this one again.

PING i15 - Every year when I go to these things I plan on looking at irons and none really do it for me - and I always make my way over to the drivers and one just gives me pure joy ball after ball. 4 years ago it was the 905R, 2 years ago the FT-i. This year is this beast from PING. If you haven't seen the i15 in person you need to. It's an absolutely gorgeous golf club. This is PING's low launch, low spin, open tour style head. It fits my eye perfectly, and for a guy like me who hits moon balls, this thing launches perfectly.

I'll be surprised if there isn't one in my bag by June 1.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
You should have tried the Ping i15 driver. I hit that much better then the G15 at the Demo Day Saturday. And the Cobra S2 driver set 2º open was the longest driver (and straightest) I've ever hit. 9.5º loft and regular flex. See my post in the shot talk forum on "great day" that everyone's ignored so far, LOL.

http://www.shottalk.com/forum/shot-talk/30432-what-great-day.html

OP
VtDivot

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Did you not read my post?

The i15 driver was the driver I loved the most.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
And once more senility sets in.... I have no explanation for not seeing that other then DUH....

Anyway. Did you try the S2 Cobra driver?

OP
VtDivot

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I did not try the S2 - but I do have a new driver on the way!

bryguy

May 15, 2008
Glad you like the i15. I like the way it looks, but it is pure crap for me off the tee. I have tried just about every shaft ping offers and I just can not get anyhting to work. Oh well, I do like the way it looks. I tried one of the new Miuno drivers the other day, have to say I am impressed with it,. I think it was the 630(non fast track version) with the Fubuki in it. Not bad at all. If the Ft-Iq and I have a falling out, I may thorw one of those in the bag. Not a bad driver at all.

OP
VtDivot

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
My I15 will have the Axivcore Red 69. It should be here on Thurs :D

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I was watching one guy after another hit that i15 and they all crushed it. And it HAS to be the prettiest metal driver ever made.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online