• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Demo Fun

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I went to the range with 2fast today and after a crapload of balls (3 1/2hrs. worth) we went to the Golfer's Warehouse. They had a swingspeed radar out and we tested different drivers. I'm assuming this thing was pretty close since 2fast was just on a doppler radar monitor last week and had pretty much the same results.

For me, I hit the Burner since there are no TP's out for demo, swing speed got up to 106-107. I hit the Nike Sasquatch and got up to 108-109. Then the one I almost didn't want to try. The Callaway FTi with the Speeder 686. Uh, oh, bad news TM, I was hitting this thing at 108-109 every time and got up to 110, then 112, then fired the hips for 113. Killing this thing.

Twofast is a freak of nature. He hit the FTi 115mph almost every time except for a couple at 116. I put a Burner with a 50g shaft in his hands... 117, little futher back... 119, then he takes it back low, slow and wide and unleashes the fastest swing I've ever seen... 121mph. !!! Thats just insane.

I learned a lot today. When I take the club back straight and wide, slow with pause at the top, bump the hips and just let it drop in, then fire through, I was hitting it with less effort and 5-6 mph. more swing speed. I also think an FTi may be on the horizon.

Also, drivers that sucked. The Cobra L4v was not all that great. I got it up around 104-106 and it sounded like crap. The CGB Max? Bar none the worst driver I've ever hit in my life. I got to the top and had no idea where the clubhead was. Twofast agreed. The 45g shaft must be some sort of abortion of swingweight, he swung 3 times with it and only got 105mph with it.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Will not even hit a CGB max:laugh:

Nice to hear about the FTi, ive hit it also and it is a great driver, just not for me.

What shaft you thinking for the FTi? Will it even make it to spring?

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Will not even hit a CGB max:laugh:

Nice to hear about the FTi, ive hit it also and it is a great driver, just not for me.

What shaft you thinking for the FTi? Will it even make it to spring?

That's the thing. The stock Speeder 686 felt great. I had impact tape on this thing and hit it 108-111 with the same ballmark 4 times in a row. Now for the tough decision, demo one or just ho one and worry about it later. Not like the BurnerTP is going to get more expensive as time goes on and that's the only other driver I'd go with right now.

So what did the Ping G10 do? :D :D

Didn't even look. After I hit the Crapture last year I wouldn't even bother. I hit my 5wood futher than the Crapture and my 5iron with draw would have given it a run.
icon10.gif
Just one of those clubs I didn't get along with at all. If it's any consolation though, if I had carry a drive over 225 or get shot in the head I'd take the Crapture over the CGB Max. lol.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
I tried both the crapture and g some other number against my 905R when I got it reshafted, neither felt anywhere near as solid as either my 905R or R510.

They feel too weak off the face imo. Doesnt have a solid feel hitting it.

Dannykos

Sep 20, 2006
EZ, get an FT-i.

they're just stupid cheap on ebay right now - and it's just cheating off the tee :)

If it's good enough for Ernie, it's good enough for me!

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007
Wow I love this forum because I don't hear a lot about the Nike drivers and stuff. My friend hit one and told me how bad it sucked so I've never given any thought about it.

justagolfer

Aug 14, 2006
Also, drivers that sucked. The Cobra L4v was not all that great. I got it up around 104-106 and it sounded like crap.

Sure does sound like crap! Hate it! Bought it too!

A big steaming pile sitting in the middle of the fairway!

Hard to argue results. I would have NEVER NEVER NEVER bought this thing if I didn't get to try it outdoors, off a tee, hitting to known distances.

Never.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Sure does sound like crap! Hate it! Bought it too!

A big steaming pile sitting in the middle of the fairway!

Hard to argue results. I would have NEVER NEVER NEVER bought this thing if I didn't get to try it outdoors, off a tee, hitting to known distances.

Never.

What some like, other's don't. I just didn't like it. I hit a Speed Pro and that felt pretty good, but the LV4 did not. JMO so don't take it personal... at least it's better than the CGB Max.
icon10.gif
That driver is god awful.

Also take into consideration I kind of suck and have a very sloppy backswing. If a driver is made for a smoother swing, I usually can't hit it very well at all. So it could have been a lot in the shaft, I don't hit very many lighter weight shafts good.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
What loft and setup on the FTi?

I've been wanting a Tour 8.5* for about a year now. Just waiting in the weeds for prices to fall a little further.

R35

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I'd be looking at the 9.5* tour nuetral with the Speeder 686. I'm getting torn here also though. I got a "special price" for the DVS and it's looking real good as well. Why can't I just have an extra grand kicking around to buy them all?
icon10.gif

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007
What some like, other's don't. I just didn't like it. I hit a Speed Pro and that felt pretty good, but the LV4 did not. JMO so don't take it personal... at least it's better than the CGB Max.
icon10.gif
That driver is god awful.

Also take into consideration I kind of suck and have a very sloppy backswing. If a driver is made for a smoother swing, I usually can't hit it very well at all. So it could have been a lot in the shaft, I don't hit very many lighter weight shafts good.

I've read reviews of the CGB Max and the other people just love it. They say that you don't have to kill it to make it go far. I'd like to see it in the hands of Tiger Wood, Bubba Watson, John Daly or Jim Furyk and see what they think of it.

🔥 Latest posts