• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Did a little experiment today

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
So I went to the range this afternoon and brought nothing but drivers. Five of them to be precise. They were:

1 - Taylor made r5tp - fuji MW54 X flex 44 inches

2 - r7425tp - creation 65 Stiff 44 inches

3 - Ping G2 - V2 reg 44 inches

4 - Quadratic - pure energy reg 44 inches

5 - golfsmith titanium 260 - TTDG lite S300 43 inches

So I hit 2 buckets of balls rotating back and through the various. It is early in the year and my swing is rusty but felt pretty consistent. After hitting each driver at least 40 times I have come to some conclusions, that both surprised me and pissed me off. The best driver of the bunch for accuracy was the small 260cc head with the steel shaft, it wasnt even close. I hit 30 balls within a 10 yard circle. The worst was the Creation 65. This shaft is way to tip stiff for me and is nothing like the 80 I like. The thing that pissed me off and surprised me was that the small headed steel shafted club was second in terms of distance. Only the Quad/PE combo was longer but that was because of the draw/hook it gave me. So I have spent about 3.4 million on drivers over the last 5 years only to find the one I hit best is the one I had all along.

Fuk me!

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
You're going to be banned from the equipment forum now. :p

OP
LyleG

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
No way you bag the Golfsmith. No freaking way...

I hope to Play tomorrow as 1 track is open here. I am bagging the Golfsmith. I see no loss in distance, and it was like having a big driving iron. Nice small head, god do I miss that. I can honestly see myself becoming a throwback play. I just ordered 2 more shafts for my fairways. I am going all steel.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I hope to Play tomorrow as 1 track is open here. I am bagging the Golfsmith. I see no loss in distance, and it was like having a big driving iron. Nice small head, god do I miss that. I can honestly see myself becoming a throwback play. I just ordered 2 more shafts for my fairways. I am going all steel.
I wish I had the swingspeed. I once played a persimmon 3-wood with a TT Lite shaft, and it was the best club I've ever hit. God, I miss that club. I've tried a couple of steel shafted drivers, and they just don't work for me - not enough swingspeed. I know what you mean about the smaller head - that's why I've given serious thought to picking up a Wishon 525 F/D. If I wasn't loving my Renegade I'd probably try one. I may still, since I've got a slot in the bag open.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
I know what you mean about the smaller head - that's why I've given serious thought to picking up a Wishon 525 F/D. If I wasn't loving my Renegade I'd probably try one. I may still, since I've got a slot in the bag open.

I took my "tree wedge" out to add the 525FD - the 200 CC head looks great - just like an old driver. - hoping I won't need to chip out of the woods if I can hit it straight

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I took my "tree wedge" out to add the 525FD - the 200 CC head looks great - just like an old driver. - hoping I won't need to chip out of the woods if I can hit it straight
Let's hear a review as soon as you get the chance!

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006

I've struggled finding a fairway wood I like for a few years now. In the end I've ended up with two Cobra Baffler Pro's instead. I'm not a fan of the low profile headed fairways these days so the Bafflers fit my eye better but more importantly the S300 shafts are so much better they're weighter & feel much more solid throughout my swing weather I'm loading one or playing a nice smooth cut. Steel shafts are the future!!! :)

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Put a real shaft in the 425. I feel you though. In my case I've found mine off the used rack for $74 while having 6 times as much $$ in heads and shafts put together in the shop. I've only ever hit one driver as well as the QuadTP and that was the original Quad I had with the MAS2 high kick, firm tip stock. I'm all about a center strike and a square face now.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
'Choo say suntheen? 'Choo say suntheen to me?!?
scarface coke.jpg

OP
LyleG

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Put a real shaft in the 425. I feel you though. In my case I've found mine off the used rack for $74 while having 6 times as much $$ in heads and shafts put together in the shop. I've only ever hit one driver as well as the QuadTP and that was the original Quad I had with the MAS2 high kick, firm tip stock. I'm all about a center strike and a square face now.

I have. I have tried everything from speeders to creations to $30 wallmart specials. I really think I swing my best with heavy shafts. Heavy like in 110g and up in woods. I am still hitting 95-100mph with this club at a static weight of 387g and everything is straight. Why would I want more. To gain 5mph in swing speed and miss 4-5 more fairways just aint worth it.

5iron

So I went to the range this afternoon and brought nothing but drivers. Five of them to be precise. They were:

1 - Taylor made r5tp - fuji MW54 X flex 44 inches

2 - r7425tp - creation 65 Stiff 44 inches

3 - Ping G2 - V2 reg 44 inches

4 - Quadratic - pure energy reg 44 inches

5 - golfsmith titanium 260 - TTDG lite S300 43 inches

So I hit 2 buckets of balls rotating back and through the various. It is early in the year and my swing is rusty but felt pretty consistent. After hitting each driver at least 40 times I have come to some conclusions, that both surprised me and pissed me off. The best driver of the bunch for accuracy was the small 260cc head with the steel shaft, it wasnt even close. I hit 30 balls within a 10 yard circle. The worst was the Creation 65. This shaft is way to tip stiff for me and is nothing like the 80 I like. The thing that pissed me off and surprised me was that the small headed steel shafted club was second in terms of distance. Only the Quad/PE combo was longer but that was because of the draw/hook it gave me. So I have spent about 3.4 million on drivers over the last 5 years only to find the one I hit best is the one I had all along.

Fuk me!

That stinks man.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.