• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Did a little experiment today

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
ps thats not to say I am not genuinely interested in your experiment, in fact, its one of the most intertesting thats happened in here for a while

Its just a shame you end up with that crappy result, although you haven't really tried any heavy weight graphite shafts at all, there are many at 95+, as you well know.................I think its just what happens to the Innuits when they have 9 months in igloos, they come out smacked up drinking whiskey by the bottle, that seems to have happened to you. At least let the snow melt for longer than ten minutes before you rush out to another club, next you will be hitting balatas and 1 irons.

OP
LyleG

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
ps thats not to say I am not genuinely interested in your experiment, in fact, its one of the most intertesting thats happened in here for a while

Its just a shame you end up with that crappy result, although you haven't really tried any heavy weight graphite shafts at all, there are many at 95+, as you well know.................I think its just what happens to the Innuits when they have 9 months in igloos, they come out smacked up drinking whiskey by the bottle, that seems to have happened to you. At least let the snow melt for longer than ten minutes before you rush out to another club, next you will be hitting balatas and 1 irons.

LOL, many a truth there ;)

My big problem has always been an inability to help myself. I can watch another player for 10 minutes and know what I need to help their game. In most cases I get very good results. Fitting myself is different. I think part of the problem is that the player I see in my mind and the player I really am are quite different, they may in fact be polar opposites. I know what I feel when I swing the club, what is really happening though is usually quite different. Anyone who has seen their swing on video for the first time can attest to that. This little experiment got me thinking and looking at my self from an outside perspective. I watched my swing on video swinging a 44 inch, 460cc driver with a 65g graphite shaft and compared to a video of myself using the golfsmith club at 43.5 inches, 122g steel shaft and a 260cc head. The swings were completely different. No OTT, far smoother transition, and much more lag. This came as a complete surprise to me, especially the lag. The results back it up as well.

Like I said earlier this got me thinking about my iron play. I have been a hooker of the ball with my irons for quite a while. So I stopped and though about every set of irons I have ever had and made a list. Hook or didn't hook. The sets with the most offset were the one I hooked the least or not at all. Yes, the ones with the most offset. I am not sure why this is the case. I have a few theories but I am not anywhere close to certain. So this brings us to the present and some conclusions I have come to.

1 - I hit heavy shafts the best, heavy like 120g and up in all my clubs
2 - I like the look of small wood heads as I don't like teeing the ball up high
3 - Irons with a lot of offset seem to work best for me and being a hooker this seems very bizarre to me.
4 - Shorter than standard works the best in both woods and irons. Irons being about 1/2 shorter than retail clubs, and woods no longer than 43.5

This may be the most honest assessment of my game I have ever made. What I like in a lot of cases just doesn't work and I think I have tried to hard to make it work even though I believe I always knew better. So thats it for now. I guess time will truly tell if I am correct or not.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Hmmm, very very interesting stuff. Like yourself I constantly analyse my game, partly because I love tinkering with gear, and tinkering with my swing. I know 3 pros and they all do none of that, S300s and a contract with Titleist, who supply x stiff, thats it, the rest is a few balls on the range and hours putting and chipping. But we are all different.

I also hanker for heavier shafts, hence the X100 tours, but i still cannot get over the fact I there will be a heavier graphite shaft out there with your name on it, they won't all be tip stiff. I loved the Fuji pro, and even with a 8 degree 905 I was launching it.

I was being serious though regarding the long winter you've been through, it sounds like you've just stumbled on something but really need some time to work through it. If you are still creaming that driver after another 1000 or so balls then fair enough. What about the 510TP and 110g graphite shaft?

🔥 Latest posts