• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Did I go overboard on my set for a "newbie"?

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Okay, so I've got the golf bug, and bad.

I like to play, and I'm okay at it. My swing needs a tad work off the tee box, but I've always had great irons and wedges, and the greens don't bother me.

I just grabbed a used set. It's only a year old, amazing condition, and the guy said he used it around 6 time out for 18 holes.

I slung them around a little, and liked the feel alot, and hit them well enough, and for the price, I grabbed them.

I paid $400 bucks for everything.

Driver is a Taylormade r5 Aldilla X shaft
3 & 5 woods - Taylormade r7 stiff shaft
Irons 3 - PW - Taylormade rac TP forged
58 degree - Taylormade TP black wedge
52 degree- Cleveland CG12 Wedge
Putter - TM cgb sebring3

Came with a taylormade carry/stand bag, and a bunch of other stuff with it, towel, balls and tees, and umbrella and such.

The set LOOKS great, I look like I've played for years. And the price I think was a steal.

Bottomline.. I've read these are "tour" irons, more like blades, with amazing feel, and "workability".. But are far from forgiving with someone who doesn't hit it dead nuts, every time.

Anyone have an opinion. I'm new here, and figured from lurking for a while, someone would chime in.

I have an older set of Ping ISIK red dots, that I grabbed for $40 bucks 3-PW about 6 months ago that I hit really good, if that offers any more info.

OP
FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
It was a deal, I'm just wondering if I'm in over my head with clubs now that might perhaps cause me to start having more trouble playing.

I know the basic answer is to hit the darn things more, and see what happens. I'm just worried I'll be all over the radar and regret not getting some game improvement irons, and then moving up.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Those irons are definitley less-than-forgiving, but they have their strengths too. If you hit them well, don't worry about it. A steel shafted 3W is definitely an odd thing.
That's a GREAT deal. Enjoy the game with the player's sticks!

OP
FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
That was a typo. The shaft on my fairway woods is not steel..

The r7 woods are nice, I just kinda wish the club head was a tad bigger.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
You'd be surprised. A larger head on a fairway wood makes it much harder to hit off the deck. Based on everything I've heard, this guy must've known what he was doing when he picked all those clubs.

You may want to look into getting some hybrids to replace the 3/4 iron, as that set is already pretty unforgiving. Hybrids might make it a bit easier for you. I've got a really nice hybrid I'm going to let go. You can PM me if you're interested.

OP
FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Yeah, I was actually going to look into getting a hybrid. Last time out, i used my brother, and I hated it.. I couldnt work anything out of it. However, i used a 19* rescue from TM that I guy let me hack with at the range, and loved it. if anything I felt more comfortable swinging with it, and to me, confidence goes a long way.

Now, all I have to do is find a decent score card to match my bag, eh?

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
You're actually starting with a nice advantage- you have clubs you ought to have no real reason to replace. STICK TO THAT!

Most of the young guys I've seen who can really, REALLY play, are playing with older less-WOW stuff. I honestly think it's because they're intimately acquainted with their equipment. They know what they can do.

Stick with yours. There's not really much better you can do.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Great clubs. I hope you play well enough to hit those irons decently. Otherwise, you may find yourself not loving the game so much. I think people should play with irons that are a little better than they are. But a 25 handicapper (not saying you are one) would be foolish to play RAC TP's.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
That's a good looking set-up and a major score at that price!

Like others have already mentioned, the irons may prove to be more than you want to have to handle but time will tell. I imagine you wouldn't have too hard a time moving them if that turns out to be the case.

The good news, if you feel the need to replace the irons, as a TM fan you will have no problems finding a solid more game-improvement set on the cheap.

OP
FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Thanks for the info everyone.

I'm a low 20 handicapper, maybe close the 25 mentioned, but I really don't feel like I have a hard time hitting these irons. I'm not skilled enough yet, in my opinion to knowingly "move" the ball where and when I want to. It's more of the case of it happens, or it doesn't, and I don't really have complete control of it all.

Although, I did like the fact, that I shouldn't have to upgrade, or be wanting to buy something else. Of course, that probably won't be the case.

Worst case, I've got these Ping ISI-K irons that I get extremely cheap, that I hit well, and I can toss those in the bag should I go down hill with the TP's.

I also got a Cleveland wedge with it all as well. Quite a few clubs for the price I thought. All new standard TM grips. Standard stiff shafts on the woods.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
You made out like a bandit.

Now, hit the range and learn those buggers like the back of your hand. If they look good to your eye, there's no reason why you can't hit them well.

ANd, if there's anything that doesn't fit, we have a classifieds and an appetite for golf clubs. :thumbs up:

R35

OP
FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I'll be sure to ditch 'em if I can't hit them.

I missed a nice new set of Callaway X-20's with graphite shafts with the fusion driver/woods and the like for $500 the other day from a guy.

After using the graphite shafts, I don't like them. Too light for me, and I top the ball way more than I should. Fat fat shots. Glad I missed them, I think I scored a better deal with the rac tp's.

OP
FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I played today, did a quick 9. I've played a little here and there, and did the driving range yesterday, and a little this afternoon before tee time.

For not having played a full 9 or 18 in almost a year, I shot a 90.

These clubs I felt, aside from my hot and cold chipping, were amazing. Definate keepers.

The shaft on my driver is JUST the medicine I needed to aide my driving woes.

🔥 Latest posts