• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Did some demo-ing today

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I stopped into Golf Galaxy today to pick up some clubmaking stuff. I saw they had a couple new s57 7 irons to hit. In a direct comparison between the s57 blue dot and my mp 30s, the mizunos felt tons better on a solid strike but the pings went almost 10 yards further. I'm sorry to say that I would not turn down a set of s57's if they were offered to me. My dispertion was extremely tight. Excellent irons. :unhappy:

I also brought in my ft-i to compare to some drivers.

Tour Burner tp: lots of balloons, couldn't feel the clubhead, felt like junk. The only shot I hit with this was a big block except for the last few shots. I'm not impressed.

G10: I hit this one better than the TB, but 5 yards behind my ft-i. It felt much more solid and substantial. This one was quite accurate, a 5 yard draw on every single swing.

I also found a r510tp on the used rack with a whiteboard. This was comparable to my ft-i. I would bag this club.

The ft-i was perfect. Carry numbers were around 260-265, hitting a 3 or so yard cut.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I stopped into Golf Galaxy today to pick up some clubmaking stuff. I saw they had a couple new s57 7 irons to hit. In a direct comparison between the s57 blue dot and my mp 30s, the mizunos felt tons better on a solid strike but the pings went almost 10 yards further. I'm sorry to say that I would not turn down a set of s57's if they were offered to me. My dispertion was extremely tight. Excellent irons. :unhappy:

I also brought in my ft-i to compare to some drivers.

Tour Burner tp: lots of balloons, couldn't feel the clubhead, felt like junk. The only shot I hit with this was a big block except for the last few shots. I'm not impressed.

G10: I hit this one better than the TB, but 5 yards behind my ft-i. It felt much more solid and substantial. This one was quite accurate, a 5 yard draw on every single swing.

I also found a r510tp on the used rack with a whiteboard. This was comparable to my ft-i. I would bag this club.

The ft-i was perfect. Carry numbers were around 260-265, hitting a 3 or so yard cut.

Nice work.

I won't bag Ping irons. Just not my thing.

Tour Burner has that stupid light shaft in it that ain't worth a damn. Probably why you hit it so poorly.

The G10 is a solid head. Looks weird, but it's solid.

Many guys still play the 510TP, as it's pretty renowned as the best TM offering in a driver ever.

R35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Pure curiosity, buy why not?

I'm not a fan of Ping's business practices. I also just don't find that they fit my eye.

Totally personal, as I know they deliver on the course, they just won't be in my bag.

R35

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
I'm not a fan of Ping's business practices. I also just don't find that they fit my eye.

Totally personal, as I know they deliver on the course, they just won't be in my bag.

R35
Thanks for the answer. I remember you saying that before (now).

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Honestly, the i3s are still a huge favorite of mine. They are a very nice iron, and I think Ping makes a great club.

But in the end, the best thing you can do is demo it all.

Victory

Nov 18, 2007
looks like the ft-5 is safe for now... good to bring in your own driver and compare.. when the taylor made rep was by a few weeks back.. i asked why such a light weight shaft and why 46'' length.. just a flat out waste== my view.. but all the new drivers are 45.5 to 46 .. i ordered the new R7 limited and asked for it to be 45.. it will delay the shipment a week. same with my rapture v2. made it 45'' rep goes why? "so i can pound it down the middle " agree the TM stuff is just cosmetic.. ping only changed the rapture line.. not seen the new cally stuff yet but looking..

OP
MIKE1218

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I don't get the new driver lengths the OEMs are pushing. Why does your average golfer need 46"? Sure, if he connects with one it will go farther, but how much more often does he miss the sweet spot because the club is too long?

All my drivers are 44.5". Just feels more comfortable than the standard 45", or the new standard of 46".

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
For OEM's, distance is the holy grail. Just look at iron lofts over the past 15-20 years just so one OEM can say they have the longest hitting irons over another OEM. Driver length is way to get more distance on the machines and when a customer actually connects with one. Personally, I have not played an OEM driver in the past 15 years that I have not shortened or reshafted to a shorter length. 44" is my max length on a driver if I want any kind of consistency with it. Of course, its not really the OEM's fault. If the consumer demanded more accurate drivers and did not buy the overlength drivers, the OEM's would adjust. Since the average consumer wants more distance and is willing to pay for it, we will continue to get overlength drivers.

In essence, its all your fault. :D

One of the things I like about Ping is their fitting program. In most OEM's and in the static fitting charts I am a standard length iron player (38" 5 iron.) When I got fitted for Ping's, I am now a +1/4" oversized iron player as they have not added extra length to their irons in order to try an eke out extra distance. Granted, they have played the vanishing loft game, but not as severe as some other well known OEM's who produce 44* PW's.

Victory

Nov 18, 2007
hitting the DEEP ball- FREAK ball.. going long!! what they see the public as wanting and thus lets get light weight shafts, grips and golf heads and make 'em long. funny- made a few LDA drivers this year for a few players and they all seem to be gettign back to 46 to 45'' lengths.. these guys want control!! :thumbs up:

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.