• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Die at the hole putting!

ernesttbass

Banned
Banned
Aug 10, 2020
Country
United States United States
Die at the hole putting!

most people put way too much effort into the line and not distance control.

I would say 80 percent should be distance control and 20 percent line.

practice a lot by placing an iron behind the hole and focus most of your energy on distance control, not going past the hole!

die at the back of the hole not the front.

don’t forget to read the green when chipping or anytime your ball could roll on the green.

apostle of die at the hole putting!

OP
E

ernesttbass

Banned
Banned
Aug 10, 2020
Country
No not I! I’m am the apostle of die at the hole putting but adage is as old as golf itself, and I am only a disciple of Harvey Pinick! He’s the master!

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Strange... when since, well, forever, we've been instructed by the greatest golfers to have ever played the game to put enough pace on it to roll a foot past the hole. But I'm sure you know better than they do.
My problem with die in the hole method is that 60% of all putts left short don't go in the hole. I prefer to putt the ball with intended speed of 18 inches beyond the hole, and practice 1-4 foot putts like a mad man.

OP
E

ernesttbass

Banned
Banned
Aug 10, 2020
Country
It’s all good!

what ever works for you!

when I’m on the practice green I putt 2 balls one for the line and one for distance!

good distance control takes practice

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Where do you golf, ernestT? What part of the country? Fairly flat greens, or mountain courses with lots of undulation?

OP
E

ernesttbass

Banned
Banned
Aug 10, 2020
Country
Texas is pretty flat with round greens flag in the middle!

As Columbus said to Queen Isabella “I keep telling you the world is round, your the one that’s flat“! Lol Red Buttons

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Strange... when since, well, forever, we've been instructed by the greatest golfers to have ever played the game to put enough pace on it to roll a foot past the hole. But I'm sure you know better than they do.
Are you sure it's not 6 to 8 feet past the hole? Now I know what I've been doing wrong. I'm going to try it your way at my tournament this weekend.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
We have lots of undulating greens here that can have several feet of break in them, even for mid-length putts. Tell someone around here to die the putt in the hole. They'll laugh and tell you to mind your own business, and laugh again at all of your 3-4 putts.

1--the break you pick will drastically affect the speed of the putt.
2--the speed you putt will drastically affect the line.
3--the less speed, the more break. The more break, the more chance of choosing the wrong line.

So, around here, knowing what speed will die in the hole is much harder than you seem to be preaching. And trying to putt the ball SOFTER around here makes the putt drastically harder.

You putting religion won't fly here.

And... You may find more 1-putts if you putted to make sure the ball made it to the hole, and felt confident over a 2-foot putt.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
If I am chipping or putting from above the hole, I certainly don't want another downhill putt. I will make certain if the ball misses, it rolls past. Would rather have a 2-footer back up hill than a touchy 1-footer downhill or with a break. Similarly, I will try to put an uphill putt no more than a few inches past the hole. Would rather leave a short up-hill putt for par than a screeching, downhiller with no brakes.

🔥 Latest posts