• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Difference between the r5 and r7 driver?????

matt37

Jun 24, 2005
Hello,

I am looking into getting a new driver, I keep hearing such great things about the Taylor Made r5 and r7. Which does not surprise me because i have the rac taylor made irons and have had taylor made drivers in the past and the quality was always great. But was is the difference between the r5 and r7?? I noticed the r5 is about 100 cheaper. Is the r7 worth the extra 100 bucks???

Thank You

Fuzzifus

Jun 12, 2005
Well, first of the R5 comes in at 450cc, while the R7 is at 400cc. Next, the R5 comes only in 2 configurations the R5N and R5D. N is for neutral, D is for draw. There is no LCS system on the R5 (launch control system). The R5 is a great club. The R7 has the LCS technology, which is the interchangeable weight system everyone speaks of. You can set the club up to play to your strengths, not correct problems in your swing. So if you hit a slice, you can't set the club up to draw the ball and be magically fixed. I also think you should be a rather consistent striker of the ball to play an R7, even though it is a great and reasonably forgiving club.

That being said, I own the R7 and consider the best driver I have ever played. Out of the possible configurations fo the LCS system, I choose high neutral, and the club is sheer power. I estimate I am hitting the ball 10 yards past my old driver, which is great. Go demo one if possible and get the feel for it. Keep asking questions, any info helps...........

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
If you are a weekend warrior the r5 is for you. If you are reasonably consistant the r7 will be better for you.

OP
M

matt37

Jun 24, 2005
I did a demo on both the r7 and r5. Iam by no means a scratch golfer so the whole weight system does not mean much to me. The r5 suits me alittle better just because of the price. Also with the r5 I think my demo was a 10.. Anyone got any suggestions of the type of shaft,degree,etc i should get in the r5. I dont want much loft on my ball when hit and I want the shaft to be stiff (I hate really bendable shafts)

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I've ordered the R7 TP with Fujikora 757 extra stiff after hitting one so well it was hard to ignore

OP
M

matt37

Jun 24, 2005
Mind me asking what you paid for that????

🔥 Latest posts