• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Difference between Two Clubs?

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
I have two Wishon 5 woods now, and I played the new one for the first time this past weekend. I don't understand why it feels so different from the other one, though.

One is a 17.5* 915cfe with a 73g Penley Graphite Light X, and the other is a 18* 949mc with a 70g Grafalloy Prolite Fairway stiff. Both have similar Winn grips. Both heads weigh 218g. They are the same length. I assembled both, so there's no extra weight in either.

Why does the 949 feel five pounds heavier, to the point that I have to consciously slow down my swing to prevent losing control of it? I can swing the 915 as hard or slow as I like, without that happening.

It must be the distribution of weight in the shaft, right? 'Course, I have a Prolite in my driver, and that doesn't feel like the 5 wood either. I have yet another Prolite Fairway that I'm going to put in my 3w, I think, so I guess that can be another test.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
It seems weird that the difference would be SO noticeable. You weighed these heads and such yourself?

OP
David Hillman

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
It seems weird that the difference would be SO noticeable. You weighed these heads and such yourself?

No, I didn't verify the weights myself. 218g is the spec weight, though, and each came with a sticker indicating that was the weight. From what I understand, Wishon heads are normally very close to spec. Nor did I weigh the shafts.

That said, they'd have to be _way_ off the spec weights for it to be a simple static weight issue. The heavier-spec shaft ( the Penley in the 915 ) is in the lighter-feeling club, so that's 3g the wrong way.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
No, I didn't verify the weights myself. 218g is the spec weight, though, and each came with a sticker indicating that was the weight. From what I understand, Wishon heads are normally very close to spec. Nor did I weigh the shafts.

That said, they'd have to be _way_ off the spec weights for it to be a simple static weight issue. The heavier-spec shaft ( the Penley in the 915 ) is in the lighter-feeling club, so that's 3g the wrong way.

I wish I could help you, but I know how you feel with that heavy-feeling club throwing you off. I can't swing my L4V for shit. I haven't verified the swing or total weight (no scale at home - when I'm building I creep into the chemistry lab and weigh all the pieces) but it feels like swinging a brick stick. When I get a hold of it the thing feels like a rocket launcher, but most of the time it's slices because I can't get the monster to turn over :bang:

OP
David Hillman

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
Ironically, I don't necessarily have a preference for one over the other. I hit them about the same distance, and the same accuracy. The trajectories are completely different, though. The 915/Penley launches low, ever-climbing missiles that eventually stall and fall. The 949/Prolite, contrary to my expectation and Grafalloy's specs, launches much higher with a more consistent arc.

That said, forcing me to slow my swing isn't the worst thing in the world, at least with a fairway. Wish I understood why it's like that, though.

OP
David Hillman

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
What the hell, the more clubs I try, the more confused I get. Now I have an even worse difference with two drivers.

My gamer is an 11* Wishon 919ccg. I love it, but just bought another Wishon, a 10.5* 949G/Ti to try, out of curiosity. I played the 949 for the first time last Sunday, and it was an unmitigated disaster. Ruined my whole round. Now, for the record, the last time I played the 919ccg in February, I hit seven fairways in a row on the back and they were beautiful and as long as I can hit. And the only reason I missed some on the front was because I forgot over the winter that I need to hold it 5* closed in order to hit it straight.

So I started out hitting the 949 the same way... and hit nothing but dead-left yanks. I compensated by opening up the face until I was almost as open as I normally am closed with the other Wishon. I hit one good one down the middle like that, but then lost 'em right. Tried square again, and hit a couple ugly low hooks. Nothing remotely like the high power fades I hit the other one.

Now, here we go on the differences; the 919ccg is 380cc, the 949 is 390. Both are .5* closed. The 919 head is 196g, and the 949 is 200g. There's a ProLite 3.5 regular at 62g in the 919, and a Wishon ZT stiff at 74g in the 949. Same length. So the 949 is something like 16g heavier and stiffer, but I turn on it and pull it 20* left of target? Huh?

My response to heavier shafts in general seems to be exactly opposite of what I'd expect, but I should be able to hit both of these clubs.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.