• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Different grip for different clubs?

Lamma

May 23, 2005
This is pretty premature since I only played about 7 holes this morning, alternating between grip styles.

First off, I use an interlocking grip with my irons and wedges. Basically anything that isn't considered a wood. I'm pretty accurate and my distances are consistent.

However, it wasn't so hot with my woods. After the first two holes I decided to go back to my old ten finger grip off the tee and with my fairway woods to see how it would work out. It worked out pretty well. Great distance and great accurracy.

When I use the interlocking grip with the woods, I hit a weak slice. When I use the the ten finger grip with the irons, all manner of bad things happen that are too numerous to list.

So in short, irons=interlocking. Woods=ten finger. Anyone else experiment or use this "method"? I would imagine not and that soon this attempt to improve my game will fall apart.

P_102

Jun 7, 2005
At times I will go with a slightly weaker grip w/ my woods and stronger with my irons. I never change from interlocking, though. I tried overlapping for a short while due to aching fingers (yes, I'm older) but that didn't feel right.

P_102

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
P_102 said:
At times I will go with a slightly weaker grip w/ my woods and stronger with my irons. I never change from interlocking, though. I tried overlapping for a short while due to aching fingers (yes, I'm older) but that didn't feel right.

P_102

That's what I do except I use overlap. If I don't weaken the grip on my woods they like to go waaaaayyyyyy left.

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
i think with the interlock you're having troubles closing the face, is your grip on the weak or strong side, or are you keeping it neutral? i switched from a ten finger about a year ago to an overlap and now its just second nature, although i still putt using the ten finger you probably called it when you said it was premature, you'll have to play more to find out exactly what you're doing

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
I use interlock for everything but my putter and chipping (reverse overlap - left forefinger over right pinkie - right handed). I don't think that that's what you were talking about...but technically it'd fint into your question.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Lamma said:
Thanks Dave!

Whatever works for you is ok,but I think I'm safe in suggesting you should stick with one grip and have a lesson to find out why the ball is flying all over the place.In the long term,this will be money well spent.

🔥 Latest posts