• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Digital camera buffs

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I have my monthly male gadget rush, it needs filling. I am NOT interested in how your crappy little Sony takes 'really good pictures', I just want a sexy toy. Like a Ricoh or latest Lumix. So what camera out there, 6 months old so can be blagged off Ebay, is a sexy digital camera?

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Get an SLR and be done with it.

These shots was taken @ 8pm with no flash with a crappy 200 mm lens. I will be dropping some cash on a nice lens when the boy starts hockey this season.

as127.photobucket.com_albums_p158_VTDivot_Fair_Biker1.jpg

as127.photobucket.com_albums_p158_VTDivot_Fair_Biker2.jpg

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
This is what you need. Canon does one thing and does it well and that is cameras. I bought my wife an older version of this camera and is able to catch photos of the hair on a bumblebees backside, no joke its incredible. Seriously it amazes me how good the camera and lens are....

Dell : Canon EOS 40D Black 10.1 MP Digital SLR Camera (with 28-135 mm Lens) - MSRP $1299.99 : Digital Cameras & Digital Camcorders : Home & Home Office

I thought about the 40D. I like the 6 FPS, but it was too large for the Mrs to hold/operate. Really nice camera tho.

I also like the D300 from Nikon.

15andlife

Pulaski Golf Rocks!!
May 20, 2006
My sister just bought the 40D its really not as big as you might think. If your interested in the quality I can post some pics.

OP
dave.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Lol, you FOOLS. I said COMPACT, and it needs to be under $250 second hand. Only Eracer is listening, although he still posted details of his wife's Canon

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Lol, you FOOLS. Only Eracer is listening, although he still posted details of his wife's Canon

Eracer; your married and your wife has a...ahem...weapon? :shocked:

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Dave,

Canon A720 IS. You can get it new for under $200 USD on this side of the pond, probably similar on your side. After I bought my Canon Rebel XTi SLR, I found my old point and shoot pretty much obsolete and wanted a compact camera for travel and other situations that I did not want to lug around the full kit. I ended up with the Canon A720 IS. It has a great zoom range for a compact camera, manual modes to have complete control over the image composition, and even a movie mode for video clips of the swing. I have been quite impressed by its photo quality and have used it quite a bit since purchasing it. Its low light capability is amazing for a compact and I find my self operating on the no flash mode quite a bit to avoid the common compact flash wash out effect on my images.

For a full review see:

Canon Powershot A720is Review

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I thought about the 40D. I like the 6 FPS, but it was too large for the Mrs to hold/operate. Really nice camera tho.

I also like the D300 from Nikon.

My wife has the Rebel XTi and loves it. Its not much bigger than her older Canon Rebel 35mm. She is really into photography, almost as much as I am into golf. The nice thing about the Digital Rebel was that all her lenses, with the exception of a few really older ones, from the old rebel fit the new Digital Rebel.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Dave,

Canon A720 IS. You can get it new for under $200 USD on this side of the pond, probably similar on your side. After I bought my Canon Rebel XTi SLR, I found my old point and shoot pretty much obsolete and wanted a compact camera for travel and other situations that I did not want to lug around the full kit. I ended up with the Canon A720 IS. It has a great zoom range for a compact camera, manual modes to have complete control over the image composition, and even a movie mode for video clips of the swing. I have been quite impressed by its photo quality and have used it quite a bit since purchasing it. Its low light capability is amazing for a compact and I find my self operating on the no flash mode quite a bit to avoid the common compact flash wash out effect on my images.

For a full review see:

Canon Powershot A720is Review
That is an excellent choice. I had one of the A710 IS models (previous gen) and sold it to move up to the G7. The G7 has some advantages, but TBH, I miss the 710. You're right about this one. And for $200 it's a steal.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
My wife has the Rebel XTi and loves it. Its not much bigger than her older Canon Rebel 35mm. She is really into photography, almost as much as I am into golf. The nice thing about the Digital Rebel was that all her lenses, with the exception of a few really older ones, from the old rebel fit the new Digital Rebel.

If you going SLR, the XTi is a great choice. I used to run around with a 35mm Canon EOS Elan and was able to keep all the lenses/accesories from it for use with the XTi. While I would have loved to go into the 40D, I just could not justify the expense differential for the amount of time I use the SLR. The XTi body is a bit small, but adding a battery grip really impoves its ergonomics for larger hands and increased battery life 2 fold.

Of course, if you go SLR, lens ho'ing is just as addictive as club ho'ing. :laugh:

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
If you going SLR, the XTi is a great choice. I used to run around with a 35mm Canon EOS Elan and was able to keep all the lenses/accesories from it for use with the XTi. While I would have loved to go into the 40D, I just could not justify the expense differential for the amount of time I use the SLR. The XTi body is a bit small, but adding a battery grip really impoves its ergonomics for larger hands and increased battery life 2 fold.

Of course, if you go SLR, lens ho'ing is just as addictive as club ho'ing. :laugh:

Don't tell her that! LOL

She has so many lenses now I don't know which is which. One of them, I believe it's a Macro lense, takes an incredible picture. She took a picture of a flower and you could see the grains of pollen on the flower. Simply amazing.

Me, I just use the stock lense to take really goof photos of clubs I'm selling.
icon10.gif

OP
dave.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
That A720 may take great pictures, but thats no the point is it? I want a TOY, a toy to satisfy gadget fixations, not a cheap plasticky gay toy like the Canon, COME ON.

Ricoh R8 high on the list

🔥 Latest posts

Members online