• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Digital camera buffs

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
With the hockey you have the added difficulties of needing to use a shutter speed in the 500 range and as low an aperature as possible to be able to freeze the speed AND let in enough light to do so. Impossible with a point and shoot, extremely difficult with an SLR unless you spend 2k on a lens or are shooting hockey outdoors ;)

I probably won't even post my first attempt, since I am going to use the kit lens to see if I can get away with an f4 and save about a grand over the f2.8. It will be ugly LOL

Good luck with that. You'll probably have to shell out the money for the f2.8 if your hockey rinks are lighted as well as the ones I grew up playing in. :laugh:

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
See Eracer me old mate, the Ricoh comes set with some pretty naff auto settings, as you can read

R8 in summary (final - no more correspondance will be entertained): Ricoh Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

tweek a little and the camera comes alive
This is nice:

If you wish to use spot focus and/or spot exposure metering and the moveable target for either spot EV or AF you have a very versatile combination of camera exposure and focus capability. This is more especially so when combined with the EV control and exposure bracketing and even exposure controlled by varying the ISO setting used.

But really, I don't want to have to work that hard to get good pics from a camera that is going to be used for less-than-critical photogaphy. I'll use a good SLR for that, and take advantage of the lens capabilities, and the bigger sensor.

It's like people bitching about the lack of a RAW mode on my G7. It's a glorified P&S camera, for chrissakes!

OP
dave.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
yep, good point

Its just the fashion to set these p+s cameras up for the 'average' user, soften the settinsg because noise is ALL bad, you end up with soggy mess. Panaonic learned this trick way before everyone else.

YOu can get great pics from the R8, its had a bad rep because of the stock settings, buty tweak it a little bit and you can get a great little camera for not a lot of cash.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
yep, good point

Its just the fashion to set these p+s cameras up for the 'average' user, soften the settinsg because noise is ALL bad, you end up with soggy mess. Panaonic learned this trick way before everyone else.

YOu can get great pics from the R8, its had a bad rep because of the stock settings, buty tweak it a little bit and you can get a great little camera for not a lot of cash.
Average people suck.

OP
dave.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Indeed

This semi-pro Ricoh buff on DP has discovered that Ricoh built in the ability to tweak the engine in the settings. He discovered setting the auto-hi to 1600 and the slow shutter to off meant the engine simply refused to smooth the images, they come out without this modern thing of pre-processing in the camera. He messed for hours with 100s of settings until he discovered how to tone down of Ricohs now infamous smoothing algorthym. The better known and 'advanced user' cameras the GRD and GR100 are easier to tweak.

The R8 was trying to compete with the Lumixs off the world and they cocked it up, but luckiliy stioll left excellent glass and a decent sensor buried beneath the horrid software, you just have to get it

xiphos

Sep 7, 2008
I have my monthly male gadget rush, it needs filling. I am NOT interested in how your crappy little Sony takes 'really good pictures', I just want a sexy toy. Like a Ricoh or latest Lumix. So what camera out there, 6 months old so can be blagged off Ebay, is a sexy digital camera?

I say go with the original Sonly Alpha. You should be able to get one cheep now and the lenses are Carl Zeiss.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Indeed

This semi-pro Ricoh buff on DP has discovered that Ricoh built in the ability to tweak the engine in the settings. He discovered setting the auto-hi to 1600 and the slow shutter to off meant the engine simply refused to smooth the images, they come out without this modern thing of pre-processing in the camera. He messed for hours with 100s of settings until he discovered how to tone down of Ricohs now infamous smoothing algorthym. The better known and 'advanced user' cameras the GRD and GR100 are easier to tweak.

The R8 was trying to compete with the Lumixs off the world and they cocked it up, but luckiliy stioll left excellent glass and a decent sensor buried beneath the horrid software, you just have to get it
Well, that is interesting, and I can see the attraction to a camera that doesn't apply all the processing nonsense that seems de riguer these days.

If not for the slow lens and mediocre stabilization, you might have convinced me to take a closer look. I can't use a P&S that doesn't have better than average low-light performance. Give me the Ricoh with an f2.0@33mm (which, because of the Ricoh's sensor, is an effective 28mm) and optical stabilization, and I may buy one myself.

OP
dave.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Well you wouldn't need optical stabilisers with F2! F3.3 aint bad at its widest. But anyway, the Ricoh R8 is a hidden gem, its just dug deep under the standard settings, it great this guy, who is a Ricoh nut, has bothered to figure it out, he has figured how to trick the sensor to stop smoothing the images or using in-built sharpening, and his pics as good as he can get with the pro aimed gear. It was £240 5 months ago when launched, I got one for £121. Unbelievable price and in part due to the reputation its built frrom tests done just using stock settings.

28-200 suits me though, with the famous Ricoh optics and a lurrrrrvely body because remember, this was a gadget fetish purchase

awww.ricoh.com_r_dc_r_r8_img_pop_bbla.jpg

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Wrong. That's a full two f-stops slower than the 28mm lens on my Canon. No thanks.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Dave, you could have had an A720is for less and had full manual control over all aspects of the image as well shutter and aperature priority semi-auto modes. Fool.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Dave, you could have had an A720is for less and had full manual control over all aspects of the image as well shutter and aperature priority semi-auto modes. Fool.
Give it up Tim. They drink tea over there instead of coffee, and eat black pudding instead of Haagen-Daz.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Give it up Tim. They drink tea over there instead of coffee, and eat black pudding instead of Haagen-Daz.

Nothing wrong with drinking tea, I had my Ceylon Breakfast blend this morning. :D

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Nothing wrong with drinking tea, I had my Ceylon Breakfast blend this morning. :D
Heathen! The only tea should be iced and sweet, and accompany a big plate of fried chicken, biscuits, and a hepin' helpin' of home-made mac and cheese.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Heathen! The only tea should be iced and sweet, and accompany a big plate of fried chicken, biscuits, and a hepin' helpin' of home-made mac and cheese.

I also watch EPL Football when I get a chance. :D

🔥 Latest posts