• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Digital camera buffs

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I also watch EPL Football when I get a chance. :D
Well, I'll let you slide on that one...
icon12.gif

OP
dave.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Dave, you could have had an A720is for less and had full manual control over all aspects of the image as well shutter and aperature priority semi-auto modes. Fool.

Ricoh has manual control and the lense is far superior to the crappy Canon

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Ricoh has manual control and the lense is far superior to the crappy Canon
Pshaw. Now you're splitting hairs, dave. No lens in any $300 P&S camera is worth a damn. I don't care if you paste the name Ricoh, Zeiss, Olympus, Nikon or Canon on them. They're all crap.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Speaking of lenses, Eracer, I just picked up a couple for the XTi. Tamron is running a $90 rebate on their 90mm f2.8 Macro 1:1 lens. Too good of a deal to pass up. I also upgraded from my old Canon 28-80 f3.5-5.6 to a Tamron 18-75 f2.8 with a much smaller rebate of $10 for my primary walk around lens.

I am looking forward to getting that Macro lens to see what kind of golf club shots I can get at next years show.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Speaking of lenses, Eracer, I just picked up a couple for the XTi. Tamron is running a $90 rebate on their 90mm f2.8 Macro 1:1 lens. Too good of a deal to pass up. I also upgraded from my old Canon 28-80 f3.5-5.6 to a Tamron 18-75 f2.8 with a much smaller rebate of $10 for my primary walk around lens.

I am looking forward to getting that Macro lens to see what kind of golf club shots I can get at next years show.

I shot some hockey at f5.6 LOL

Ummm I bumped ISO to 1600, and slowed down the SS to 100. Still looks like shit. I am going to be dropping some serious cash on some glass soon if I want to shoot hockey.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I shot some hockey at f5.6 LOL

Ummm I bumped ISO to 1600, and slowed down the SS to 100. Still looks like shit. I am going to be dropping some serious cash on some glass soon if I want to shoot hockey.

Your going to need to get into some faster glass for sure, if its a small rink or you can get fairly close to the ice without having to shoot through the glass you should be able to get away with a 70-200mm f2.8. Not dirt cheap, but not uber expensive either.

If you want f2.8 at focal lengths higher than 200mm, the price jumps to insane levels.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005

That 18-75 sounds nice. That's a 35-150 equivalent, right?

And the macro sounds good too.

Right now I'm anxious to pull the trigger on the new Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM. I really want a fast prime lens, and this one is getting good press. It's $500, and that would suck up some lens cash for a while.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
That 18-75 sounds nice. That's a 35-150 equivalent, right?

And the macro sounds good too.

Right now I'm anxious to pull the trigger on the new Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM. I really want a fast prime lens, and this one is getting good press. It's $500, and that would suck up some lens cash for a while.

Oops, what I ment to say was 28-75mm.......I wish they had a 18-75 f2.8.

Dude, save a boat load of cash and get the Canon EF 50 f1.8. $90

Yeah, no HSM/USM but a great lens for $90. I took a lot of shots at the show last year with that lens. Yup, its got a lot of plastic in it, but at $90 can buy 4 of them if you break'em and still come out ahead.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005

Yeah, no HSM/USM but a great lens for $90. I took a lot of shots at the show last year with that lens. Yup, its got a lot of plastic in it, but at $90 can buy 4 of them if you break'em and still come out ahead.
I had no idea they were that cheap. The extra f-stop of the f1.4 lens is attractive, but not $400 more attractive.

Thanks.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I had no idea they were that cheap. The extra f-stop of the f1.4 lens is attractive, but not $400 more attractive.

Thanks.

Its kind of crazy really, one of the few that Canon makes that is a real value. You can get a Canon f1.4 50mm as well, but pay out the nose for it. I was initially concearned about it when I read it was mostly plastic, but I have had no issues with it and since I really do not use a 50mm all too often the price made it very attractive. I just wish they would offer a wider prime such as a 10mm, 12mm, or 14mm in the same construction/price range for the few times I could use a wider lens.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Its kind of crazy really, one of the few that Canon makes that is a real value. You can get a Canon f1.4 50mm as well, but pay out the nose for it. I was initially concearned about it when I read it was mostly plastic, but I have had no issues with it and since I really do not use a 50mm all too often the price made it very attractive. I just wish they would offer a wider prime such as a 10mm, 12mm, or 14mm in the same construction/price range for the few times I could use a wider lens.
Maybe I'll just save my money and get the new Canon 50mm f1.0 lens. It's only $3,700

...lol.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Pshaw. Now you're splitting hairs, dave. No lens in any $300 P&S camera is worth a damn. I don't care if you paste the name Ricoh, Zeiss, Olympus, Nikon or Canon on them. They're all crap.
Well said. It is tough enough to even find a high quality lens for $300, let alone one with a camera attached to it.

You pay $300, you get what you pay for, convenience, small size....simplicity. On one of those I would simply go with Canon because they make great optics and great cameras, but I wouldn't expect it to provide the quality of my SLR and the reason I own both. I certain wouldn't put optics at the top of my list on a $300 P&S. Will they give you good family photos, or decent ones when you don't want to haul around your gear? Sure, that's the reason I own one when I also have the SLR.

edit 1 - personally for $300, I would likely go small and put size at the top of my list. Photo quality difference will be minimal as long as you go with a proven product line.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005

I have the nifty fifty. It's great indoors and makes a good portrait lens. While this shot of our neighbor's kid was taken outdoors, you get the idea... not bad for 90 bucks.

as127.photobucket.com_albums_p158_VTDivot_IMG_0450.jpg

OP
dave.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
nice pic!

Eracer, I have had 20 years of playing with an F1.2 lense, tbh, I am just as happy with b&w grainy pics at 1600 tbh, its nice to have a balance in the album,, who wanst to look at the samey pics all the time? And anyway, most of pics are outside in daylight. I got rid of the fast lense when my lad was big enough to go outside!

However, I admit that mnay top end compacts cannot do low light particularly well. But £120 for the R8 is just unbelievable value

🔥 Latest posts