• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Digital Camera

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I'm sure there's been about 100 threads started on this that I missed so either put links to them or give me some quick, simple hints....

As most know :D I'm extremely "digital camera challenged" and need to get a new one. But I don't want to spend that much. How much do I have to spend for a simple, easy-to-use, CHEAP camera that can take pretty darn good pics? I don't care if it doesn't last 10 years. Something really functionally good. I don't want to be a photographer. :) And can I get a used one that's better then new for cheap? Kind of like buying a used driver? :D

Looking for the TM R580XD of digital cameras!!! :D

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
The camera purists will poo-poo this but look at a C-series 6-8 Mpixel Kodak Easyshare model. Get one with image stabilization. Learn how it autofocuses :)laugh:) and how the flash works. The camera will do the rest. I have a very good Olympus digital for serious picture taking but the Kodak goes in my golf bag and pretty much follows me around. Best part is they're cheap -- around $100 or less and take great pics for point 'n shoot everyday needs. They are dirt simple to use. Most of the pics I've posted here were taken with my cheapie Kodak.

I'd also get one that uses regular AA batteries then use AA NiMH rechargeables. Cheap and readily available. See the camera site I refer to below for good recommendations on batteries and chargers. Also the easiest way to transfer pics is with a SD card on these. Get a cheap reader for your PC and forget about using a cable. Much faster and easier, IMO.

Here are some links to a couple good models:

Newegg.com - Kodak EasyShare C613 Silver 6.16 MP 1/2.5" CCD 2.4" LCD 3X Optical Zoom 5X Digital Zoom Digital Camera

KODAK EASYSHARE C-Series Digital Cameras

(This first one is the newer model equivalent to my camera).

Oh and you can get really good reviews of digital cameras and a lot of other great information at Steve's Digicams

Here are a couple quick snaps I took with my "cheapie" Kodak:

awww.webtoo.net_misc_100_0161sm.jpg

awww.webtoo.net_misc_100_0146sm.jpg

awww.webtoo.net_misc_100_0098sm.jpg

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
These sites may help for reviews
Steve's Digicams - Camera Reviews
Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ
Digital Camera Resource Page: Camera Reviews & Info Database

You probably don't need to spend a ton of money to get one that takes good pictures. Personally if you are not an avid photographer, I would take a look at something portable like one of the Canon ELPH Powershots, which come in multiple price ranges. Probably something like the Canon ELPH 600 or 700 series should be all the camera you need for a very long time if not a lifetime and can be had for under $250 new. Even the 500 series should suffice if you can still find them. You would likely just need to replace the battery every few years.

edit 1 - One thing to consider. You will see alot of advertisement on the zoom features, concentrate on the Optical Zoom capability, once you start using the digital zoom it is at the expense of the quality of photo. I usually try and stay away from the Digital zoom as much as possible and figure I can get pretty close to the same result back home with photoshop, by sticking with the optical zoom I know I have a workable picture.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I'd also get one that uses regular AA batteries then use AA NiMH rechargeables.
Good info (and some nice pics. Makes me want to buy those P2's - lovely sticks).

I don't understand the battery comment. My Canon A710IS used two AA batteries. Didn't matter if they were NiMH or alkaline, rechargable or not. My G7, on the other hand, uses an NB-2 battery, which of course requires it's own special charger. It's one of the things I like better about the A710 - being able to get batteries anywhere in a pinch.

I'm not aware that there are cameras that are sensitive to the type of AA they use.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I think he was leaning towards NiMH for their length of charge if you get a higher milliamp battery. You should be able to use either one, but the NiMH's will be cheaper in the long run and provide a longer duration of power than standard alkalines.

One of the downfalls of the Rebel XTi is the requirement of the Lithium rechargable batteries that are ultra expensive.

extremeVFT03

golfaholic
Supporting Member
Apr 22, 2007
Country
i would say any of the newer nikon one are good. you can get there 8.3 megapixal one for $199.00

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Good info (and some nice pics. Makes me want to buy those P2's - lovely sticks).

I don't understand the battery comment. My Canon A710IS used two AA batteries. Didn't matter if they were NiMH or alkaline, rechargable or not. My G7, on the other hand, uses an NB-2 battery, which of course requires it's own special charger. It's one of the things I like better about the A710 - being able to get batteries anywhere in a pinch.

I'm not aware that there are cameras that are sensitive to the type of AA they use.

Thanks on the P2's... I get a lot of compliments on them at the course. The pics on Golfsmith's website don't do them justice. Ask Tim, he's seen them in person too.

As far as the battery recommendation of AA NiMH cells -- a lot of digital cameras are real battery hogs and have brutal high current requirements for brief periods (think autofocus and lens extension/retraction). Having a rechargeable cell is a real plus as a lot of cams go through Alkalines very quickly. One other big benefit is that the internal resistance of a NiMH cell is a lot lower than an Alkaline and it can deliver lots more current without the voltage sagging. There are a lot of tales of woe about people who have their cams freeze when the lens is being extended on power-up. High capacity NiMH cells will eliminate this problem.

I think he was leaning towards NiMH for their length of charge if you get a higher milliamp battery. You should be able to use either one, but the NiMH's will be cheaper in the long run and provide a longer duration of power than standard alkalines.

One of the downfalls of the Rebel XTi is the requirement of the Lithium rechargable batteries that are ultra expensive.

Lithium batteries are nice but they have their problems too, as you point out. The manufacturers make a buttload of money on replacement batteries, these things have a very high markup. Also, Lithium cells will wear out a little with each discharge cycle. Most cells are rated for maybe 200 discharge cycles. They'll go longer if you don't deep discharge them and keep them charged fully after every use. Lighter discharge cycles will make them last a bit longer.

NiMH cells will typically go through a lot more charge/discharge cycles than Lithium cells -- 500+ cycles is not unusual. There are a lot of good NiMH cells out there. For camera useage I will almost always go for a good 2600 mAH cell. Same with chargers. Powerex batteries are very good. Maha chargers are also great for the money. All Battery also has really good, inexpensive rechargeables and decent chargers too. I put a lot of my clients on to these guys and they have all been happy so far. The Tenergy brand is a very good Chinese made battery line.

Also, the typical cheap "ultra fast" chargers for NiMH cells really shorten battery life. Look for a fast charger that recharges in 3-4 hours and terminates using a negative delta V, delta t (temperature, if possible) and maximum charge timer. Pretty much every charger will have a safety timer to cutoff the charge. A lot of cheap chargers just use a simple timer or timer and end of charge voltage and that will typically overcharge a cell and shorten it's life too. The Maha chargers are reasonably priced and well designed, they almost all use negative delta V to terminate the charge. Chargers that have individual charger circuits for each cell are good too as you can charge any number of cells at a time and they will all get charged to exectly the same level (which may not happen when you charge more than one cell in series).

I design and work with battery powered devices on a daily basis. Most of the name brand rechargeables (including Radio Shack) are junk. Think stock driver shafts. :D

MGP's suggestion is perfect and perfect price range. Thanks!! :)

I knew what you were looking for, I get that same question all the time. :laugh:

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
First off - to answer the question, digital cameras are so cheap nowadays find one that has the features you want. We travel a lot and do a lot of outdoor activities when we travel (hiking, biking etc) so I wanted something small. I got the ELPH about 5 years ago and it is still going strong.

Secondly, those irons are GORGEOUS.... how do they play? Are they your primary kit?

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Secondly, those irons are GORGEOUS.... how do they play? Are they your primary kit?

Thanks. They play absolutely great. They are about as good a comprimise between players blades with a little game improvement iron thrown in as I've found. They're cast from 431-1 stainless so they feel soft like forged clubs and can still be adjusted. Golfsmith claims you can do ±5° of bend for lie adjust on them but I haven't tried it... :laugh:

Anyway, they are a pretty compact blade with a fairly slim top line. Only a small amount of offset. Coming from forged blades with virtually no offset, I don't really notice it on these. Very workable, YG has seen me put some serious bend on a few shots this past year. :D

I know most people have their favorite wedges but I also like the matching wedges a lot too. They're cast from 304 stainless, same as Wishon's CX-micro wedges (and a bunch of others). Nice feel and the loft/bounce combos fit my game perfectly. YG said they reminded him of TM RAC wedges and I agree, they look and feel a lot like them. I built the wedges as a trial thing, they were so inexpensive to put together I figured why not? As it turns out I bagged them for the whole season this past year and plan on keeping them in this year too.

awww.webtoo.net_misc_100_0107sm.jpg

So yeah, these are my primary irons now. I love them and will probably pick up a spare set of heads this year, especially if GS discontinues them or puts them on sale again.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Playing around with mine right now, took a couple shots to see how the macro works.
100_0039.jpg
100_0042.jpg

🔥 Latest posts