• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Digital Practice Devices

DrBrown

Hack Numero Uno
Sep 2, 2005
I really want to start working seriously on my swing again and I think my range time would be more useful if I had something to log my results. I was looking at the SwingTIP gadget that works with your smart phone to show you swing speed and a bunch of other stuff. I hear its accuracy is spotty but for me the club head speed and launch angle is what I need to know. For those who have worked with something like this, can you recommend any particular device and how was your experience?

Thanks!

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
Wish I could point you in the right direction, but I can't. I'm old fashioned, I just hit balls until my hands are sore....then go do it again the next day. That really is the only secret to getting good. It all depends on how bad you want it.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Instead of paying the money on some gimmick, put the money into something proven. Lessons from a qualified professional.

That's my suggestion.

OP
DrBrown

DrBrown

Hack Numero Uno
Sep 2, 2005
I hit plenty of balls and actually "practice" but I need specific work on mechanics. Drilling 200 balls on the range may only ingrains bad habits. And while I admit a teaching pro would be good, the ones I've had lessons with in my area force you to fit their mold and are arrogant. That doesn't jive with me.

I have yet to find the right teacher so I've always relied on myself. Plus, my schedule isn't very accommodating so I may only have time to go hit balls at 8:30 on a weeknight. I have a full time job and run a part time business so having a device that tells me launch angle and swing speed immediately after a shot isn't really a "gimmick", it's a training aid. I'm not trying to be indignant, just stating the fact that I don't have the same options as everyone else.

MattyB

Not a sheep shagger.
Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2012
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I hit plenty of balls and actually "practice" but I need specific work on mechanics. Drilling 200 balls on the range may only ingrains bad habits. And while I admit a teaching pro would be good, the ones I've had lessons with in my area force you to fit their mold and are arrogant. That doesn't jive with me.

I have yet to find the right teacher so I've always relied on myself. Plus, my schedule isn't very accommodating so I may only have time to go hit balls at 8:30 on a weeknight. I have a full time job and run a part time business so having a device that tells me launch angle and swing speed immediately after a shot isn't really a "gimmick", it's a training aid. I'm not trying to be indignant, just stating the fact that I don't have the same options as everyone else.
Take a look at the ES-12. I bought one a while back, is more to do with yardage though.
Ernest Sports - ES12 | Portable Launch Monitor
When you start asking for launch angle and speed the 'gimmicks' start bumping the price up.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I'm more of a feel and ball flight kind of guy. However, I'm known to video my swing when it gets a little wonky.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country

Assuming you know what to do with those numbers and those numbers are accurate, sure. Neither of those have been proven, at least not to me. Launch angle means next to nothing by itself, as does swing speed, as does spin. Even all three of those numbers together mean little without other context.

So just because you're getting data, doesn't mean that data is useful.

OP
DrBrown

DrBrown

Hack Numero Uno
Sep 2, 2005
I agree completely, and honestly I expect a % of error on any device. My swing is pretty decent, but I cast the head just before impact and I'm really trying to work on compressing the ball better with my hands leading the impact. When I don't do this correctly the ball flight jumps up. So if I hit a good one and check the numbers I can reference those numbers on the same device later to check myself when I go off track. I expect a teacher's eyes on me would be best, but I don't have one I trust or care for within many hours drive. My old teacher I really liked is retired and lives 11 hours away now. The camera is my best friend.

🔥 Latest posts