• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Dilemma

twogreen

Aug 7, 2006
When you turn your hobby into your job, it is not a hobby anymore.

Quoted for truth!

Working on cars and car engines has been my foremost hobby since I was 14 years of age. Upon retirement from the Army, I opened my own automotive repair shop. Just imagine...pursuing your hobby full time and getting paid for it. What could go wrong there?

Without going into gruesome detail, suffice it to say that the 13 years I owned and operated the shop were the most stressful years of my life.

Of course, you wouldn't have the stress of ownership; but there is no doubt golf as a hobby isn't the same as golf as a job.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
As stated by others, they don't pay much. On another note WTF are you doing now with just B.B.A. that you are talking pay cut of 40K? I live in the highest paying area of the country and a B.B.A. barely makes 40K a year, never mind a cut of 40K. I ask because I am just shy of my assosciates by a couple classes and can get full transfer to get the B.B.A. Personally, stick with your current job. You might find you'll not be able to find a job if you want to go back, especially since you might be making triple or more what that degree avg. makes.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
The money isn't a real big issue here. 40k isn't really much of a drop, consider where I'm at right now. I'd be getting paid more than I should be to be an assistant pro. I think in the long run, where I'm at has more potential, and I did go to school to do it, so I might as well stick with it, right?

As stated by others, they don't pay much. On another note WTF are you doing now with just B.B.A. that you are talking pay cut of 40K? I live in the highest paying area of the country and a B.B.A. barely makes 40K a year, never mind a cut of 40K. I ask because I am just shy of my assosciates by a couple classes and can get full transfer to get the B.B.A. Personally, stick with your current job. You might find you'll not be able to find a job if you want to go back, especially since you might be making triple or more what that degree avg. makes.

Exactly... I think this guy is fudging the truth a little LOL

loftgolf

noob no more!
Jun 13, 2008
In 1989 I purchased a large boat dealership and never boated, so I took up golf. If I were to make a living with golf I'd have to buy a boat:laugh:! I have learned some very hard lessons about finances in my life and state you should never walk away from $40K a year. If you can afford to live on the reduced income, stay with your job, put $40K away annually and retire in 10 years and golf everyday! Good luck!

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
To look at it from another perspective here. Not taking the job and continuing to play golf probably more than you would is not going to likely limit your possibilities so much should you decide to follow up on it later.

Taking the job and getting away from what you currently do and feel you may be more successful at in the end for 5-8 year, or even 2-3 for that matter, may seriously limit your future potential. Not sure what industry you are in, but you really need to consider the effects of "Shelf Life". Unlike golf, where you can show your potential fairly easy and is obviously the case because of the offer, in your industry it is not like you can practice what you currently do with your BBA on the side and provide that practice as reference material for a job.

I guess another valid question would be whether you are prepared to open your own business or go into the private industry should the golf not pan out to your liking? As many employers would probably be less likely to take a risk on someone away from the industry for several years.

Too me it seems like an awful big gamble for an assistant position, but then I don't know if that is what you want to do for a living. And if is you goal and your passion, then you could possibly be limiting you chances by not taking the position. However, if you are willing to take that kind of risk in going in the private industry, then I can't help but think that you may have more opportunity in applying the extra 40k a year and starting your own golf related venture in the future and possibly giving yourself even more opportunity as well as giving yourself the opportunity to direct those decisions that will affect your livelyhood.

Hard to say for me, as I have made similar gambles in the past that paid off. However also made similar decisions that while educated and worked out better in the end between my wife and I, also knowingly forever limited my potential from working in an industry standpoint. Both paid off, but one seriously limited my options personally. Just as long as you are will to live with being a victim of "Shelf Life" if you decide later you like the other side better.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
In 1989 I purchased a large boat dealership and never boated, so I took up golf. If I were to make a living with golf I'd have to buy a boat:laugh:! I have learned some very hard lessons about finances in my life and state you should never walk away from $40K a year. If you can afford to live on the reduced income, stay with your job, put $40K away annually and retire in 10 years and golf everyday! Good luck!

The new guy's smart.

OP
S

Skjay101

May 1, 2008

I think perhaps a BBA in Canada is slightly different than in the states. That said, I didn't work my way up to where I am now. My dad and one of his brothers had M.B.As and started an investment advisory firm. When my uncle was ready to call 'er quits, I was just getting out of school, took a loan from the old man and bought him out. I'm essentially doing a job that should have an M.B.A, but I'm doing it with a B.B.A.

gpo

Jun 2, 2008
Well, I was all ready to post a solution, but your last post cause me to change.

I was going to say that you tell your boss that you are willing to take a 20-30K hit in pay, but only work 80% of what you do now. That way you have an extra day off to play golf. But it looks like you are an owner of some sorts.

OP
S

Skjay101

May 1, 2008
Well, I was all ready to post a solution, but your last post cause me to change.

I was going to say that you tell your boss that you are willing to take a 20-30K hit in pay, but only work 80% of what you do now. That way you have an extra day off to play golf. But it looks like you are an owner of some sorts.

Yeah, its kind of a raw deal. I'm an owner of sorts, but the only thing that changed is the extra money, I still have the same job as before I owned.

OP
S

Skjay101

May 1, 2008
What's a raw deal?

A raw deal, a bad deal, a deal which sucks. When I bought into the company, I just got additional bonuses and income from the business. I'm still doing the same job with same base pay and little to no managerial influence.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
A raw deal, a bad deal, a deal which sucks. When I bought into the company, I just got additional bonuses and income from the business. I'm still doing the same job with same base pay and little to no managerial influence.

Yuck, sucks. Well, if you want to be a golf pro, do it. Will you play golf as much? Not likely. You're choice though.

Regret is a funny thing. Some regret doing things, and they turned out poorly. Some regret not doing things at all.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I say this in dead seriousness. I would rather be a bartender than a club pro. Keep your current job and enjoy golf. Most club pro's end up hating this game.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I say this in dead seriousness. I would rather be a bartender than a club pro. Keep your current job and enjoy golf. Most club pro's end up hating this game.

Yeah, but how many bartenders hate alcohol? :thumbs up:

He's right though.

🔥 Latest posts