• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Distance measuring

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
DrBrown said:
You dont have to tell me that the short game is more important than the full swing, I will agree with you every time. The normal PGA Professional spends 60-80% of his/her time on a practice green tweaking their technique and touch. This is why someone that never hits a fairway at Augusta can still play near the top of the leader board. :) *cough cough* PHIL MICKELSON! He did hit some pure irons on the back nine but his scrambling all week is what won him the green jacket.

But I will still try to pursue getting my extra 10mph of swing speed, I think 5mph of that is attainable just based on lower body technique in my swing because I drop the hands a bit sooner than I could. The rest I can try to get from flexibility after stretching.

Thanks for the replies gents.

Hey DrB

Kudos dude. We'll work together. Any video footage of your swing?

I reckon you and I would have an interesting match. Both play off 5 h/c and hit about the same yardages. Where do you live and I'll sort it!

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
IrishGolfer said:
Hey DrB............ Both play off 5 h/c and hit about the same yardages. Where do you live and I'll sort it!

I take it I'm dumped !! ... ya hadn't even the gumtion to ring and tell me, I haveta read it on the internet ..

Nyper

Feb 23, 2006
I can understand if you want to hit it a little farther, but I disagree with your belief that 270 isn't enough to play competitive golf. If I had the choice of 270 down the middle 95% of the time or 300 down teh middle 80% of the time, I'm choosing 270. Not every course is going to play 7400 yards like Augusta this weekend.

As for that Club Distance Calculator page, that was right on for me also.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Dave Ireland said:
I take it I'm dumped !! ... ya hadn't even the gumtion to ring and tell me, I haveta read it on the internet ..

Dear Dave,

You'll always have a special place in my heart. It all started with the 983K! The 460Ti caught my eye and ever since I've been on a slippy slope.

It's not you, it's me......

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
IrishGolfer said:
Dear Dave,

You'll always have a special place in my heart. It all started with the 983K! The 460Ti caught my eye and ever since I've been on a slippy slope.

It's not you, it's me......

LOL... it's all about self worth IG , btw did you read Augster review of the TE Exotic could add that to your wish list ..ahem... it's actually the 460 Comp I have ... you say you care but you just don't listen to me ...

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Dave Ireland said:
LOL... it's all about self worth IG , btw did you read Augster review of the TE Exotic could add that to your wish list ..ahem... it's actually the 460 Comp I have ... you say you care but you just don't listen to me ...

I wasn't talking about yer "sooo last year" Comp.

No, I've made my bed, the 2006 460Ti has been ho'ed and will be in my bag soon. I shall not look any another driver again.

TE Exotic, you say? Hey, check it out!! Look at the sole on that baby! Hoooowwwlllllllllllll!!

OP
DrBrown

DrBrown

Hack Numero Uno
Sep 2, 2005
You guys are funny.

I just realized today that Im a giant pussball. I played my home course and this was my first outting of the year. I was 15+ yards short of where I was last year on the same holes. I was even swinging pretty good but it was just pathetic. My swing is so much better than it was last year and somehow I've lost loads of distance. When I walked off where my drives usually were last year I was actually hitting it around 285-290 on average. So now I really do have a reason to complain about 270 when I know for a fact last year I was hitting it farther with a worse swing. This game flat out tortures your mind!

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
If you have made a lot of changes it is normal for distances to drop at first until the new swing is more comfortable.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
obagain said:
If you have made a lot of changes it is normal for distances to drop at first until the new swing is more comfortable.

While that may be true and in fact be great advice, I think it's funnier that he's just a giant pussball. :p

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
IrishGolfer said:
I wasn't talking about yer "sooo last year" Comp.

No, I've made my bed, the 2006 460Ti has been ho'ed and will be in my bag soon. I shall not look any another driver again.

TE Exotic, you say? Hey, check it out!! Look at the sole on that baby! Hoooowwwlllllllllllll!!

You Biatch !! ..... 460 Ti ?, do tell more, is it the offset one ?, stock shaft or are ya gonna plug and play it with the Fujikura 757 that you scored stateside. Did ya give the Hi-Bore a thought at all ?

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Dave Ireland said:
You Biatch !! ..... 460 Ti ?, do tell more, is it the offset one ?, stock shaft or are ya gonna plug and play it with the Fujikura 757 that you scored stateside. Did ya give the Hi-Bore a thought at all ?

I allowed myself to be talked into this. It's a standard 8.5 degree in stiff stock (Fujikura). It's a 9.5 outa 10 on eBay special. There's a few in our Pro Shop, but unfortunately no demo models so I have undertaken a first for me, buying it untried. I do like the set up though, not too busy and it doesn't seem that big. I do it it fairly low so I am a wee bit concerned about the 8.5 but sure I can always recycle if it doesn't work out.

The 983K moved out at the weekend, back to her Mothers.

I haven't seen the HiBore yet. I don't think I would like it, similar to the Cobra, with a caved in crown. All head jam stuff really.

If it doesn't work out, I'm catching the next flight to Saskatchewan to kick Rock's ass!

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
IrishGolfer said:
I allowed myself to be talked into this. ......If it doesn't work out, I'm catching the next flight to Saskatchewan to kick Rock's ass!

Who talked ya into it ? - wasn't yer missus was it ?, "oh dear I was just thinking how that new Ti460 would suit your game, you've had that old driver of yours nearly 6 months now. You've told me so often how you are trying for a lower ball flight, with a draw bias - *purse opens* .... there ya are love £300 quid, don't worry about the change - oh and when ya come home this evening I'll have the god forbids in bed early *wink*.

Btw if yer off ta Saskatchewan, give him a kick for me aswell .. no reason, just making the journey worthwhile for ya :)

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Dave Ireland said:
Who talked ya into it ? - wasn't yer missus was it ?, "oh dear I was just thinking how that new Ti460 would suit your game, you've had that old driver of yours nearly 6 months now. You've told me so often how you are trying for a lower ball flight, with a draw bias - *purse opens* .... there ya are love £300 quid, don't worry about the change - oh and when ya come home this evening I'll have the god forbids in bed early *wink*.

Btw if yer off ta Saskatchewan, give him a kick for me aswell .. no reason, just making the journey worthwhile for ya :)

LOL Dave. It's kinda funny as herself has taken a shine to the golf this year, which I think is great. She now plays every Wednesday. But she must be clicking on, as the other day she was giving out about her putting. "I think I need a new putter" says she.

She gave me that look that says, "Didn't you just score a new Scotty recently?" I had to hold the look of a seasoned gambler with a ropey hand.

I replied in true bluffer's fashion "It's not the putter, it's the putter!" and swiftly changed the subject. I'm going to have to clean out my collection toute suite! My "Spiders are crawling all round the shed" story is wearing a bit thin. Before I know it she'll be knee high in all my ho'ed discards.

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
LOL... funnily enough herself sez to me on Sunday, - "I'm gonna take up golf myself and go off for 7 hours a day.. blah blah ... so what do you think of that ?" ... to which the answer should've been " So long as it's not with me" ... but turned into "yeah love you need something to get you out of the house also" .... this has to be put into context ... as previously she wanted me to go to Salsa Dancing lessons with her ... so it was the act of a desperate man....

I'm half hoping she does take up golf .... just so as I can return the " a game of golf doesn't take 8 hours" ... "playin in the dark were ya" ..."yer not wearing that" .."forget where ya lived did ya" jibes..... the alternative of course is the frilly shirts and a tight pair of trousers up da crack of yer arse.. step, step , bend and cha cha cha ... put that's enough about my putting routine ;)

Members online