• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Divot in front of ball

Cobra guy

May 8, 2008
How do you do it? I either take one a little behind or right under it. But how do you get it in front of the ball?

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Not sure there is a simpler way to say it but that you hit the ball first, as you should.

Wait, there is another way I remember. "Hit the little ball before the big ball." :D

OP
C

Cobra guy

May 8, 2008
I do, but when i do that i usually just sweep the ground

nixdad

Mar 4, 2008
Make a divot without hitting a ball. Put the ball directly behind that divot. Re-create the swing you had making that first divot. Let the ball get in the way of making that divot. Try to remember to let the ball get in the way of the club before making the divot.

RoughedgesMR

Jul 14, 2008
Make a divot without hitting a ball. Put the ball directly behind that divot. Re-create the swing you had making that first divot. Let the ball get in the way of making that divot. Try to remember to let the ball get in the way of the club before making the divot.

hows that 7.5 hit?

nixdad

Mar 4, 2008
It's perfect for me. Has a boring trajectory. I'm 5'08" and 168. I average 285 off the tee and if I step it up a little, I can get 295+ yards out of it. The G10 for me is money. I've gone as far as getting a TM 425 TP driver with a 9.5 degree loft and fuji speeder shaft and still launched it too high. The G10 with the 7.5 is great.

I'll tell you though, I used to play a draw relig I used to hit all the time.ously with my driver. With the G10, I play a baby fade and it is amazing. I think I have more control and get a little more than the draw

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Break out that net you have and hit off the grass. Stick a broken tee in the ground barely sticking up about an inch in front of the ball. Hit the ball and rip the tee out of the ground.

To explain how it's done is easier to explain with setup. I've switched my setup to a "reverse K". Meaning my lead hip is kicked forward after adressing the ball, naturally putting my hands ahead of the ball and creating a forward shaft lean. From there it's just a rotational swing. The club should return to that same position, hitting the ball before the bottom of the swing arc.

Striking an iron is the same as chipping. Hands stay ahead and it's "hinge and hold". So by practicing chips and pitches, you are also grooving the proper iron strike. If you have enough room to hit some short pitch shots in your yard, go for it. Twofast would agree with me, hitting 20-30yd. ptiches with a SW for a half hour gets us striking irons ridiculously well for a few weeks it seems.

RoughedgesMR

Jul 14, 2008
It's perfect for me. Has a boring trajectory. I'm 5'08" and 168. I average 285 off the tee and if I step it up a little, I can get 295+ yards out of it. The G10 for me is money. I've gone as far as getting a TM 425 TP driver with a 9.5 degree loft and fuji speeder shaft and still launched it too high. The G10 with the 7.5 is great.

I'll tell you though, I used to play a draw relig I used to hit all the time.ously with my driver. With the G10, I play a baby fade and it is amazing. I think I have more control and get a little more than the draw

ok. i am hitting the tm tour burner with a 78gram graphite design ys7 plus. the shaft brought the height down but still would like it lower and more penatrating. I will try demoing that if i can find it which is not likely lol

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
If you are new to golf I would suggest two books.

Hogan's 5 lessons-Great book, easy read, its good for building your swing fundamentals.

Bobby Clampett's Impact Zone-He talks about fundamentals but his main 2 points are lag and getting your swing bottom (the deepest part of the divot) 4" in front of the ball. His drills and swing thoughts are helpful. I always knew that you want to hit down on the ball then take the divot but never thought it needed to 4-5" infront of the ball. I just started working on some of the things in his book at the range moving my swing bottom further ahead of the ball and my ball striking has improved this year.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
If you are new to golf I would suggest two books.

Hogan's 5 lessons-Great book, easy read, its good for building your swing fundamentals.

Bobby Clampett's Impact Zone-He talks about fundamentals but his main 2 points are lag and getting your swing bottom (the deepest part of the divot) 4" in front of the ball. His drills and swing thoughts are helpful. I always knew that you want to hit down on the ball then take the divot but never thought it needed to 4-5" infront of the ball. I just started working on some of the things in his book at the range moving my swing bottom further ahead of the ball and my ball striking has improved this year.

I'm assuming he's the same Bobby Clampett who is on the Nationwide Tour now? He's a TGM guy, (golf machine).

RCI

Jul 26, 2008
There was a beautiful slo-mo today during the Ryder Cup... it was a close up of and iron shot from the side. You saw the club head, the ball and just the lower part of the shaft. The divot was huge -- looked to be six inches long and pretty deep, but the grass under the ball was barely touched at all. The divot started just a touch forward of the bottom of the ball. It was a video I would love to have to show new people how the swing bottoms out forward of the ball position.

rubber314chicken

Thats what she said
Dec 27, 2007
if you hit down on the ball the divot will come. don't worry about making the divot, just hit the ball into a cup 6 inches below ground 2 feet infront of you.

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
Striking an iron is the same as chipping. Hands stay ahead and it's "hinge and hold". So by practicing chips and pitches, you are also grooving the proper iron strike. If you have enough room to hit some short pitch shots in your yard, go for it. Twofast would agree with me, hitting 20-30yd. ptiches with a SW for a half hour gets us striking irons ridiculously well for a few weeks it seems.

Totally agree..I have been telling this to anybody that would listen.

niblick

Jun 13, 2007
When I tee up an iron shot on a par three, I actually like to see the tee undisturbed and the divot start an inch in front of it. That might be a little excessive, but it's better than the alternative to me. I can't stand hitting shots fat... drives me nuts.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
There was a beautiful slo-mo today during the Ryder Cup... it was a close up of and iron shot from the side. You saw the club head, the ball and just the lower part of the shaft. The divot was huge -- looked to be six inches long and pretty deep, but the grass under the ball was barely touched at all. The divot started just a touch forward of the bottom of the ball. It was a video I would love to have to show new people how the swing bottoms out forward of the ball position.
Was that the one of Furyk's shot? His ball was in a divot, and he hit the ball perfectly. I was amazed at how far in front of the ball his club hit the turf. Shallow path on the proper plane, with lots of lag and good weight transfer = awesome iron play. Yes?

🔥 Latest posts