• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Divot in front of ball

RCI

Jul 26, 2008
Furyk's shot out of the side of the divot was a perfect example, but there was another one as well -- I forgot who it was. Good example, and I had forgotten that one.

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
I'm assuming he's the same Bobby Clampett who is on the Nationwide Tour now? He's a TGM guy, (golf machine).

I think so he might be trying to get back into competition, he was on tour back in the 80's early 90's? I'm not sure but I think he might be considered an underachiever. He had a good amateur career but only won once on tour, and I think he had a big blow up in a major?. He also worked for CBS as an on course guy.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
I think so he might be trying to get back into competition, he was on tour back in the 80's early 90's? I'm not sure but I think he might be considered an underachiever. He had a good amateur career but only won once on tour, and I think he had a big blow up in a major?. He also worked for CBS as an on course guy.

It is the Bobby Clampett that is a CBS announcer. It is a great book about irons. A little off the mark on drivers IMO.

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
Proper ball compression and divot location depends a lot on feel for some players, including myself.

To get that feeling, try hitting some wedges on the range, but with one HUGE adjustment.

Hit them with the ball placed way... and I mean WAY back in your stance. All the way back to your right toe if you'd like. Left foot in it's normal position, middle of you stance right there, and your right foot in its normal position, but with the ball directly in front of the right foot/big toe.

Take 1/2 or 3/4 swings and concentrate on solid contact, hitting the sweet spot the best you can. Don't think or worry about divots on these swings, as you speed is not 100%. You will probalby take some small divots anyway, but they should be after the ball/closer to the target that you are seeking.

Gradually move the ball position from way back there towards your normal location for a wedge (middle of the stance for me). By the time you get back to normal, after hitting 20 or so balls along the way, you will at least have a feeling for the downward, descending action needed to make full swings on par with what you are looking for.

Good luck, work on it, get a ball that spins a ton, and suck them back to the pin!! It's great fun.

GameDayDog

Jul 3, 2009
Wow, I just wanted to thank the folks on this forum that mentioned Bobby Clampett's book - The Impact Zone ... I was hesitant, but ordered it and haven't been able to put it down... except to practice the drills ... I'm striking the ball much better and have a more consistent swing.. Greatest golf book ever... Thanks for the positive reviews that helped me make the plunge..

Peace..~G

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Wow, I just wanted to thank the folks on this forum that mentioned Bobby Clampett's book - The Impact Zone ... I was hesitant, but ordered it and haven't been able to put it down... except to practice the drills ... I'm striking the ball much better and have a more consistent swing.. Greatest golf book ever... Thanks for the positive reviews that helped me make the plunge..

Peace..~G

You're welcome.

Now if we could just get Bobby C to stop with the Tiger manlove on TV..

:D

🔥 Latest posts