• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

DIY Groove Sharpening

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
regionals are monday, we played a practice round yesterday and i found that this course sets up better for me when i carry 4 rather than 3 wedges. i'm going to drop my 3w to make room for another wedge.

i'm hoping to drop my two Dyna-Powers and go back to my Tom Watson 3 wedge set, only problem is that the grooves are a little worn and i was hoping to maybe touch them up if its doable without having to buy one of those groove sharpeners because it wouldn't arrive in time. i have a rather sizeable tool collection at my disposal, just was wondering if there's anything i can do.

i'm on a limb here, but any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated

thanks.

-YG

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Since grooves are one of the things that the USGA regulates, and you are playing in a real tourney, I would suggest using a real tool designed for that purpose, or leaving them alone, or buying new wedges.

You would hate to be DQed for a groove violation, wouldn't you?

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
The DIY groove sharpeners are garbage. Buy new wedges, it really is the only option.

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
The DIY groove sharpeners are garbage. Buy new wedges, it really is the only option.
dangit lyle... why did you have to break my hope??:laugh:

seriously though, i ordered one from a guy off golfwrx on the 2nd of may... it should be here in a week maybe... im hoping to sharpen up the grooves on all my wedges...

according to him, they dont deepen the grooves, but sharpen the edges of them, where the metal is bent around...

im hoping it works... but somehow i figure it might not... well there is always the chance i will be surprised!!:)

Dannykos

Sep 20, 2006
i got one - and they do work, although, it can be a bit tricky to us effectively. Also, i don't think the resulting sharpened groove stays sharp as long...

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
i got one - and they do work, although, it can be a bit tricky to us effectively. Also, i don't think the resulting sharpened groove stays sharp as long...

whew... thats good to hear...

and i am very meticulous about my grooves, so i would probably sharpen them after every round...

🔥 Latest posts

Members online