• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

DIY Weighted Club?

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
At the risk of sounding foolish (yeah, right IG!) can one make one's own weighted club? I have an old beaten up sandwedge that I swing from time to time in the back garden.

I figured if I filled the shaft with sand / lead and taped the top it would do the same thing as the Momentus.

Here's the question. Am I likely to do damage to my property, my neighbour's property or myself by attempting to swing this? Will the head fly off, the shaft shatter etc.?

I can see the headlines now "Freak golfing accident sees mad Irishman disembowelled by vintage Hogan sandwedge".

Also how does one correctly use a weighted club? Slow, exagerated movements to build muscle memory I guess?

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
I've heard many stories of old clubs filled with BBs and taped/regripped with no adverse effects.

A slower, natural swing is the only way to use it, as trying full-on can injure you and tends to really screw with your tempo when a normal club comes back into the picture. The weighted club is a GREAT way to loosen up pre-round, a SUPER way to improve/maintain tempo between rounds, and it pretty much forces things onto correct plane. It forces you to use the correct muscles (the big ones) and is a general antiviral to the swing bugs that creep in.

I say go for it.

Big Brother Dunk

Aug 29, 2005
KevinTPA said:
I found this the other day.

http://www.humangolf.com/info/training/momentus.html

One thing to note. Don't use the cat litter method like suggested. If you add water it will only clump up and get very messy (I tried it). The BB method should work fine.

Good link, thanks.
Here's another: http://www.thegolfinformant.com/weighted_club.htm

I picked up a weighted club at a local Walmart for about 14.95 and it helped increase my SS by close to 10mph.

I came across this drill in the Globe and Mail for using a weighted club:

" Use a weighted golf club and hold the address position for one minute. Then move to the top of the backswing and hold that for one minute. With a full turn, you will work all the core muscles in your torso, your balance, upper back and arms. "You'll start shaking, but this will help create muscle memory and teach you the right position," Burns says.

The third position is a minute at the follow-through. "The key to this is to follow-through to the end. It will help counterbalance your muscles. This is just a great drill.""

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
From the Momentus DVD, they recommend starting your swing by moving the club 18 inches forward then starting your backswing. This helps with the plane alignment. They also recommended holding still for a few seconds at the top of the backswing a few times to get the feel for the proper postioning. After that, normal swings (with the 18 inch forward movement.)

boxerdogs

Apr 25, 2005
i have a 7 iron would it be ok to melt lead and pour that in to add wieght or will it knack club cheers

KevinTPA

Aug 12, 2005
I finally finished making one of these and I don't think it's heavy enough when compared to the Momentus or the Wal-Mart special.

I found a Titleist DCI 762 6-iron at Play-it-again sports for $5.99. It has a stiff graphite shaft which may explain why it's not that heavy. At first I used bb's and found that no matter what I did they continued to rattle around inside the shaft. I could never get them packed very well. Then I tried the cat-litter method without the water. Using the water makes the litter cake up inside the shaft prohibiting it from filling up completely. So I just poured it in dry and shook it down occasionally. I used candle wax to seal it which worked well.

But like I said it still does not seem that heavy. I may just get the Wal-Mart special for $25.00 and call it a day. The only problem with the Wal-Mart club is that it is a 35" 8-iron. That's very short for an 8-iron.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
The Momentus clubs are short, too. You do not hit balls with them, you just swing them.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
What does 'slow exaggerated movements to build muscle memory' mean? I hope I am not being to rude,I don't mean to be,but I have no idea how that concept can help a swing.How does slowing everything down with a club that weighs more than a normal club help you? And how does this aid any 'memory' in the muscles,thats if muscle memory exists,and I don't believe it does.Seriously,if this works,wouldn't it be a well documented technique?

So basically,I just would like to know how this is better than actually practising properly with your own clubs. As I say,I don't mean to challenge aggressively,just putting in my own 2p.I am genuinelky interested in this concept,because I can't fathom it at all.

DrBrown

Hack Numero Uno
Sep 2, 2005
There has to be something else out there to pour into the shaft. I'm anti BB's because I just think the rattle would annoy me to no end. What about sand?? I dont think it would be heavy enough but its a thought. If it takes an hour to build this thing and $5-10 to do it I would rather just buy the $25 walmart thing because I dont have that much patience or time in the day to do it. I still say there has to be antoher material or something to use other than BB's. If you wanted to spend a few bucks you could get a steel rod from home depot and pour liquid nails or some kind of hardenner into the shaft to hold it in place inside the iron shaft. Dunno just throwing out ideas.

longiron

May 2, 2005
ualtim said:
The Momentus clubs are short, too. You do not hit balls with them, you just swing them.
They are the same length as a 8 iron and you can hit balls with them its just REAL slow. LOL

P_102

Jun 7, 2005
Yup, use bird shot. #9 will give you the most weight and least rattle since it's the smallest (smallest usually available, anyway) and will have less space between pellets.

P_102

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.