• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Django Unchained: Review

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
Yesterday the Mrs and I did our 13th annual Christmas day at the movies and saw "Django: Unchained"

I went with some trepidation because my wife has only moderately liked the Tarantino she's seen in the past mainly due to the often violent scenes.

But since she picked last years film, this was my turn and since I love Tarantino films and westerns, I was sticking to my guns (no pun intended).

This movie was probably the best film I have seen in I have no idea how long.... baring in mind I see a new movie almost weekly these days, that says alot.

Brief synopsis (without giving and spoilers) is Django (The "D" is silent') is a slave and is purchased by a bounty hunter to assist him in a search for some no-good-nicks. As they begin the quest, they learn more about each other and make a pact to work together as partners and try to find Django's wife who was separated from Django awhile back.

When judging a film, there are so many attributes to take in: story line, pace, content, photography, scenery, soundtrack and this I felt excelled in everything.

This movie was a no holds barred in your face fun.....Jamie Foxx played Django, and while he was Tarantino's second choice (after Will Smith declined), Jamie filled in perfectly...turned out Foxx actually used his OWN horse in the film, but also wrote one of the many original songs ("100 Black Graves") which was also unusual for a Tarantino film.

While Fox was the leading star of the film, I can say that Leo DiCaprio, Samuel Jackson and Christopher Walz took turns stealing scenes. With devilishly delivered witty one liners and stellar performances.

Witty was not what I expected when I went to see this film...but it was....there was so many funny scenes and banter between not just these, but ALL performers were excellent and often needed to offset some over the top action scenes (I think the Bag head scene will be historically remembered like the campfire scene in Blazing Saddles)...it had the audience in tears from laughing so hard. This movie was a roller-coaster ride, going from one extreme to another.

It was mentioned in an interview with Tarantino that he did this movie for fun... and that was very evident in this case... Actually the packed house not only laughed, gasped and the occasional "Whoa" moments...but there were a couple times during the movie where people applauded...and of course afterwards, most of us applauded...a very unusual occurrence at the end of the film.

Now this was a long movie...almost 3 hours (beers) long, but didn't seem anywhere near it....matter of fact, after the film was over, my wife said she liked it so much, she could see buying it when it is released on Blu-Ray to watch again!

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I too love westerns and Tarantino flicks! I may have to pony up ( no pun intended) and go see this one!

Great review!

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I love westerns also. I wanted to go see this, but my buddy wanted to see Jack Reacher instead. I don't recommend that one.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I love westerns also. I wanted to go see this, but my buddy wanted to see Jack Reacher instead. I don't recommend that one.
I have not seen a Tom Cruise movie that I have liked in awhile.

Can't wait to see django, LOVE westerns!

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I have not seen a Tom Cruise movie that I have liked in awhile.

Can't wait to see django, LOVE westerns!
Rock of Ages was great if you were born between 72 and 80. Cruise is actually really good. When we have pool parties here in the summer all the ladies want the Def Leppard pandora channel once the kiddies are in bed :)

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
I have heard from a few people that Jack Reacher was pretty good and I loved Cruise in "Knight and Day". He played the super agent character so over the top that it was hilarious as it was supposed to be.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
I went and seen Django last night. It's very graphic, super exciting and funny as hell...with just a touch of cheesiness. I've never heard the N word used so much in a movie. It's definitely not a family flick. It was damn good though. I highly recommend it.

Frank

Jan 29, 2013
Country
Australia Australia
I'm looking forward to seeing it. Probably next week.
Saw Zero Dark Thirty and Flight this week.
Both pretty enjoyable, John Goodman steals the show in Flight. He's only in about 3 scenes but was really funny.
Also want to see Lincoln.

🔥 Latest posts