• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Do bad players cause you to play badly?

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Everyone figured that Shirley Picard had produced that amazing round. He did, but we used twelve of his shots and thirteen of mine! For example, I drove the short par-four 3rd hole and sunk the thirty-foot eagle putt myself.

CP

Keep in mind, his name is Shirley.

Awesome story, btw

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
The skill of the player I'm with doesn't affect me as long as they move along and don't take 35 practice swings etc.

For some reason the excessive practice swings piss me off big time, I don't take practice swings because I really don't understand exactly wtf you are supposed to be figuring out by doing it.

Probably the 1 thing that messes me up more than anything else though is being pushed...or at least what I may assume as being pushed. I play pretty fast...usually 75 minutes for 9 holes & sometimes justa little over 2 hrs if the course is empty to play 18. But if I get some asshat in a cart who can't even wait until I have putted before they are driving for the green & then hurries the hell up so they can get behind me on the next tee box, really pisses me off & throws off my entire game.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Does your game echo the games of your playing partners? Seems to... Went out yesterday afternoon. Hooked up with a young flat-belly. We zinged around the course, hitting the ball fairly well. He was driving the cart and keeping score. I knew he was shootin' lights out and I was just zippin' along, enjoying the day and the game. Finished and added up the card. He shot a 74... 37, 37... 2 over. As I was complimenting him on his game, he added mine and I had a 78. As I went back over each individual hole, the 78 was correct. We both played well... we both played fairway and greens... and we both scored well.

This morning, my regular group was out of town. Was invited to play with a three that I have seen around the course. Nice guys. We had a blast, talking politics, etc. But... None of the three held a candle to the young man of yesterday. One would take 5 or 6 practice swings and just drove me nuts with his odd pre-shot routine. Another was a beginner... a lefty (you know how those lefties are :laugh::laugh:) and, simply, could not chip. He would skull one over the green and then skull one back. Again, great conversation, but not good for concentrating on the game. Added 'em up after 18 and shot an 85. They were estatic about my game. But, relative to yesterday, the game sucked... big time. Same course, same clubs, same body, same pin locations, and 7 strokes difference.

The feelings was different also. Today, the 7 strokes different could have been 17. Got some really good bounces and had some great up and downs. Yesterday, it just seemed so easy as two similar games lined up with each other.

Yes, I do believe it can make quite a difference in your game depending on the skill of those who accompany you around the course.

twogreen

Aug 7, 2006
I seem to cause good players to play bad... :laugh::laugh:

Actually, I play better with those less skilled then I since I don't feel intimidated at all or pressured to do good. :)

lol...I can agree with your first statement. It usually takes me about three holes to cause a better golfer to drop back toward my level of incompetence.

As far as the second comment, I tend to play a little better when playing with more skilled golfers. I don't really get intimidated; because I know I can't make the shots they do. All I try to do is not hit embarrassing shots, so I will forgo trying to make the "hero" swings...my score usually ends up the better for it.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.