• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Do I need a "stiff" shaft?

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I've been playing alot lately with the Cleveland Launcher 460 Comp I bought in May (10.5 reg. "Cleveland" shaft) and have been hitting them straight down the middle "except" when I try to put a little more swing speed on it. I gives me so much confidence I can do this. Problem is when I do I get this high, long shot that goes out about 200 yds and then takes a sharp right turn!! I am not cutting across (outside to in) on my swing so I'm assuming the shaft might be too mushy. Is the standard regular flex shaft on the Launcher "less" then regular flex? I have a shorter backswing then most. I always did best with a graphite shaft somewhere between regular and stiff. I had a Yonex ADX 200 regular shaft that was perfect and wish I could get that same flex.

15andlife

Pulaski Golf Rocks!!
May 20, 2006
well it depends if you only go all out 3 times or so a round then i'd say stick with the regular flex but if you go all out every time go with stifff flex.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
First off, here's my question to you. Why swing harder if it goes straight when you don't?

My guess is your getting fast hands and you're leaving the clubhead behind causing that power fade. Swinging smoother makes the ball go farther. Putting a better swing on the ball will result in good distance - and straight.

Is it the shaft? Probably not. If you hit it on the button when you swing normally, and it goes straight all the time, it's the right shaft for you. You'd really have to up your SS in order to merit a stiffer shaft.

Plus, how many times a round are you "really gonna go for it" over the time when you pump one out there 240 down the pipe?

R35

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Well, basically because I was getting as much distance out of my cheapo TM R580 as I am with this $300 Launcher. I figured maybe a few more yards.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.