• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Do Short Guys/Gals Have a Golf Advantage?

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
You ever notice the majority of golf pros are short. I think it's alot like gymnasts and some sports where a smaller person can control his/her body better? I know Tiger is not short and Furyk, Ernie and Phail are tall but after a few of those guys the majority seem shorter. Look on the Champion Tour especially. How tall are you and what's your handicap? I'm about 6'0-6'1" and around a 10 handicap.

Bama Duffer

Mar 14, 2005
I've never computed a handicap, but I'm short (5'6") and I play like crap, usually in the low to mid 90's. I'm capable of playing in the 80's (like last week), but I always follow it up with a 90's next time (like last week).

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I don't know about this one WBL. Taller players have a definite distance advantage. Most of the pro's I like are right around or over 6ft. tall. Tiger, Vijay, Furyk, Ogilvy, Mickelson, Sergio, Scott, LoveIII, all right at or over 6ft. I am 6'1" and this is my 3rd year playing. I am down to a 10cap and hit a decent driver and iron distance equal to the pro average. I see a distance on TV and they almost always use the same club I would.

Just checked, of the top 10 in the world rankings, 2 guys are under 6ft. Sergio at 5'10" and Luke Donald at 5'9". I didn't know Furyk was so tall, 6'2".

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
WBL is just trying to grab onto something here, but taller helps bud.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I was bored so threw this out for fun. Remember Woosnam? He's a little guy and could hit right along with the tall guys.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
WBL is just trying to grab onto something here, but taller helps bud.
Yeah, I can think of very few, if any cases where being relatively tall would be a disadvantage. I can think of many where it may help.

atlgolfer

Aug 9, 2006
I"m one of those short guys, around 5'6"~5'7" and because my swing arc is limited by my height, I would love to be around 6ft. I can't hit anything longer than 45" driver so no, having a longer driver does not help. I do ok as I shoot in the 80s on regular basis but sometimes I wonder what it would be like to have a bigger swing and just rip one...

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
i dont know but ive stood next to Daly and he definately is not tall (what maybe 5`8")and he is one of the longest on tour.also he is not among the top ranked so i guess he would be a mixture of your theory.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Daly isn't nearly as big as they portray him to be, yet Els is a big guy, his hands look like a bears.

On another note, I can just sere WBL sitting down in front of the computer trying to figure out an advantage, "think...think...think..." On a good note you're swing is smaller so trees aren't as big of concern.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Interesting. I always thought Daly was fairly tall, like at least 5'10.

Hey Jeff, is that you in your avatar?

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Dang, you may be skinnier than me. I thought I was Mr. lanky longballer, a swingspeed pushing 115 at a solid 6'1" 155.
icon10.gif
I'm all fast-twitch muscle though.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.