• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

do you have a buddy like this?

DaGris

Bears fan in Georgia
Dec 8, 2007
I have a buddy that can just kill his driver....flat out bomb it every time.......290-300 every time, and usually right down the fairway....but cant hit a iron to save his life...cant putt or chip either. shoots mid to high 90's every time.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I was at that point myself at one time.

Not quite that long obviously, but after the first year i could hit driver quite well because thats all i ever worked on was getting that slice straightened out...so after i figured that out, i could drive the ball fairly well, still inconsistent for the most part but my irons were absolute crap and putting was even worse.

The guy i am trying to help get into the game of golf right now as soon as he is within 30yards of the green he usually does really well. Its getting to that point where he loses tons of shots. So we usually play best ball for the sake of time untill we get close to the green then he shows me how its done on the green.

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
A friend of mine I play with 5 or 6 times a year hits it a mile off the tee. His problem with irons is he may hit a PW 100 yards on one hole and 140 on the next. When he makes solid contact he hits it a long way but normally he has got to much club or something.

I would hate to have his problems with consistent yardages.....that sucks.....I know how far I hit everything.....of course doing it everytime is a different srory.

Jason

OP
DaGris

DaGris

Bears fan in Georgia
Dec 8, 2007
A friend of mine I play with 5 or 6 times a year hits it a mile off the tee. His problem with irons is he may hit a PW 100 yards on one hole and 140 on the next. When he makes solid contact he hits it a long way but normally he has got to much club or something.

I would hate to have his problems with consistent yardages.....that sucks.....I know how far I hit everything.....of course doing it everytime is a different srory.

Jason
he's like that too.....he'll hit 2 less clubs than me sometimes......if we are both 150 out, I'm hitting a 7, he's hitting a 9...sometimes comes up short, and sometimes he'll fly the green.

fisher

Nov 16, 2008

Jason

That was me up till three years ago. Drives beyond 300 and hitting fairways. Won a number of long drive contests. Irons no clue how to control yardages. I basically hooded every iron. I was playing a pitching wedge as my 150 yard club but I was hooding it so much that it was in effect a 7-iron. I was also chunking a lot of my iron shots and taking huge divots. A friend showed me what I was doing wrong and it took a lot of work to break the bad habbits I had formed.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
I play with a bunch of retired guys. They drive maybe 200, then hit a 3 wood or 5 wood onto the green from 180 out.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Twofast bombs it but he's decent with everything else as well. If anything, I might be "that guy" when I use my driver a lot. Except they they are down the middle of the next fairway to the right or left.
icon10.gif

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I play with a bunch of retired guys. They drive maybe 200, then hit a 3 wood or 5 wood onto the green from 180 out.

I am not always hitting the driver long & on the 420+ yd par 4's I often will be using 3 or 5w to go for the green.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005

You forgot to mention what they do next:

Hit the green
two putt
collect money
repeat

I hate retired guys.;)

niblick

Jun 13, 2007
I play with a guy occasionally who's kinda like that. Easily the longest guy I've played with. I've watched him get within a chip shot on many par 4 holes. 300 in the air routinely. But he's wild as hell, and his short game sucks.

He hit a 340 blast on a 400 yard hole at Riverbend. Right down the middle. Duffed the pitch short of the green, chipped on and 3 jacked it for double. He does that all the time.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
I play with couple of guys like that in my tourneys. They are almost always in D flight. :)

In one tourney, "Bob" we'll call him, used driver on every non par-3 hole, and he hammered it......every which way. Lost at least 6 balls, with resulting max-triple-bogey. Steady drinking beer, too.

Finally we get to the 15th, a relatively short par 4, 320 yards, with a big pond all down the left side. He connects, and MIRACLE! it goes straight, and he is pin high, just off the green. Terrible chip, ended up with a par, but nearly driving the green made his day.

Helping him look for lost balls on nearly every hole ruined everyone elses.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online