• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

do you have a hole that just gets you every time?

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
There's a couple of a holes where I play that get to me. Not every time, but once in a while.

Kevin

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
#9, 170-something yard par 3. No real trouble to speak of.

I cannot explain it. It's an anomoly, a mental failure, a psychological defect.

I will make a double or worse for every par I make here easily. I probably average 4.3 on this hole. Twice I've come into this hole at +1 or better and made a triple. A TRIPLE.

Nemesis...

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
At my home course, #8 is my nemesis. Its only a 9 hole course, so I have to play this hole twice every time I play here. Its a par 4, 485 yard hole with a slight dogleg right. However, there are woods that are OB on the right, and a long thin meandering pond that has fingers that poke out exactly where my balls tend to land. Between the woods and the pond you have a maybe 20yard strip of fairway in which you are supposed to land the ball. Either that or play it like a par 5 and lay up, something I'm not really good at doing btw !

I have definitely bogey'ed and double bogey'ed this hole far more times than I have par'ed or birdie'd it.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
#17 at my home course, Shawnee Golf & CC is probably one of the hardest par 4's I've ever played. I'm guessing YG would second me on this one too. Par is an excellent score there and if I have a tap-in bogey I am not unhappy. It's usually a struggle to make bogey there.

It's about 400 yards, dogleg right. The fairway is very narrow all the way through the dogleg which is about at 225 yds. or so off the tee. On the far side of the fairway at the dogleg there is a huge bunker that you are dead in. Left of the fairway is dense trees and no man's land. Protecting the corner on the right is a massive tree lined hillside -- the trees are way too tall to carry over for mere mortals. The fairway is so shallow at the dogleg that it's really difficult to hit a fade around the corner off the tee. If you do happen to fade it around the corner you will be flirting with a grassy creek that runs up the left side of the fairway. If you end up there it's almost always a lost ball.

If you do manage to hit your tee shot in the fairway on the corner you are just beginning the fun. You'll be about 175-185 yards out and the green is a three tiered job that slopes severely from back to front and is incredibly narrow. Oh, it's also about 50 ft. in elevation above you so go up a couple more clubs because the shot is all carry.

To the right of the green is what they call the "cave" -- basically it's a limestone sinkhole that funnels anything to the right of the green. It's a lateral hazard and is no place to be -- brush and tall grass. Nasty stuff. The left side of the green falls off steeply to a tree lined hillside that will leave you a shot to the green that you can't even see from there.

Once you are successfully on the green the fun is just beginning. You better hope you were lucky enough to be on the same level as the pin and underneath it too. I've seen guys 6 ft. above the pin on the 2nd or third tier literally just start their putt so it's barely rolling at all... creep past the pin, down the slope(s) and all the way to the front edge or off the green entirely and have a 50+ ft. putt back up the green and up a tier (or god forbid, two of them).

If you are on the tier below the pin you have to absolutely bash the putt just to get it over the tier and onto the right level. Everyone I've ever played with who was playing the course for the first time has been on the tier below the pin and not made it up to the next tier. Your second putt will probably be 10-15 ft. longer than your first one... and probably dodging your ball as it rolls back to you and past you. :laugh:

Absolutely brutal but a great hole nonetheless. Par is a great score and bogey is respectable. It takes 4 excellent shots to make par there and not much of a slip-up to make a big number.

It's the only hole I've ever seen that YG even has to struggle to make par. He's been working over the club slot in his bag for the 2nd shot in. It's just a killer because it's all carry and you are aiming at a green about 25 ft. wide. but with a realistic landing area about half that. He's probably made almost as many doubles there as I have and he's a much much better player than I am.

Me, I usually play it as a par 5... the trouble you can get in with a long approach miss can turn a bogey into a double or worse in a hearbeat.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
The god-damn f*#%ing 15th!!! This one:

15th.jpg

Only 178 metres (close enough to 200 yards) but it just gets me every time. Doesn't matter how far left I try to bail out the 'valley of sin' on the right about 5 yards off the green just eats my ball. pretty much an instant bogey from down there. Double is easy if your in a bad lie...

:unhappy:
15th.jpg

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
YES... #18 Petrifying Springs. I got a F'n 10 on it today. I repeatedly tried to hit miracle save shots out of the trees only to watch my 5'th go in the water. Nuff said. I'm still pissed.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
The V***na, :D

Actually not so much anymore, I used to, but not anymore.

johnny

Dec 22, 2008
I We've got a par 3 that's like an hourglass shape and the middle is like 4ft. wide.. When they put the pin dead in the middle, if you hit one "pin high" on the green it'll be a hole in one or within inches. .

wi golfer: "And the green is only about 15-20' across"

lol, you guys gotta be exagerating!

regardless, that par3 running along the water looks VERY difficult.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States

Not exagerating at all, this course has ridiculously small greens. Not every single one of them but the majority are tiny & i'm not kidding when I say a few are 15-20' across.

Crossfire

PGA Apprentice
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2006
Hole number 9, home course. 465 from the tips. Downhill dogleg left, tight teeshot untill the creek at 270. Laying up leaves you 220+ into a small protected green. Going for it requires a hell of a drive and turns this monster into a birdie hole. Who wants to bet if I lay up? Many a birdie and many double.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006

I'm not. I'll take a picture of it one of these days. The course has extremely small greens and that's for RI, which already has super-small greens. I'm sure a lot of you guys have played Donald Ross courses? Well he's known for his small greens and my course probably has greens about half the total square footage of one of his. It makes me better though. Have to control distance very well because 150 is 150. 145 is short and 155 is over the back.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.