• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Do you have a swing thought?

sandwedge

Oct 19, 2006
How many of you use a specific swing thought? I used to have so many different things going through my head before a swing and now I just started using one swing thought on the last couple of rounds and range sessions. Before I swing I say to myself "slow and low". This helped me promote a more smooth tempo and a one piece takeaway. I have definitely been making better swings since using this.

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
Usually I tell myself not to screw it up, but when I relax and just swing equals much better shot. I would like to have that confidence every shot.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
My only thought regarding my swing is "grip pressure". I have it written on my glove even. Reminds me to keep a nice soft grip even when the heat is on.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
I think "Stay behind the ball and pull through with the left side". New swing thought for this year, and it has paid some dividends so far...:thumbs up:

artfulgolfer

Jan 8, 2007
I focus on the target and visualize the intended flight path and try to maintain a connection to the target throughout the swing. The more precise the target and better the focus, the better the shot. I try to play golf like I play other sports. I don't have pre-shot routines or thoughts to throw a ball, shoot a basket, hit a ball, etc.

Jun 24, 2006
My only though is " keep the hands close to me through the ball".

I have been hooking everything pretty bad latley and I find if I keep my hands close to my body coming through the ball It goes straight or a little fade. It's easy for me to do and makes a world of dirrerance.

I was following through to the left ( im a lefty) of the target and my hands were getting away from me and I would hook it pretty bad.

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
when I took lessons...my pro made a point of teaching the fact that swing thoughts are for the range.....basically he said when on the course think about your target and nothing about your swing....this works for me and was even reinforced in the book Fearless Golf.

I address the ball, ask myself what my target is, to myself I say "center of green, fairway or cup" whatever it is and that triggers my swing. Keeps my mind from wandering and I can play one shot at a time..one hole at a time. I really started working on this during the winter, shortened my pre-shot routine and other than a disastrous round I played with Siberian I have hit the ball really well.

Jason

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
If you tell yourself NOT to do something you WILL do it. Always use a positive thought. I don't think about anything or use any swing thoughts. :)

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
i always think smooth and easy,then one last peek at the target and fire.

My thought is along the same line as goatster. I tell myself not to overswing. When I overswing, it's not smooth and easy and leads to many bad things.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I completely clear my mind when I swing unless it is a shot that I am working the ball

ol-crank

Oct 28, 2006
It is hard to trust my swing. I changed so much and

I am usually going through the list when I get ready to swing. My timing and rythm are fine when I don't think about it. My release and shoulder turn are starting to work without thinking about them. It is hard though to set things up correctly and then just cock it and let it go. When I can do that it works really well.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
other than a disastrous round I played with Siberian I have hit the ball really well.

Jason

That's right, blame it on me!

:D

Unfotunately, no matter what swing thought II have, the last thing that usually goes through my mind is "Please, God, don't let me f*** this up."

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
when I took lessons...my pro made a point of teaching the fact that swing thoughts are for the range.....basically he said when on the course think about your target and nothing about your swing....this works for me and was even reinforced in the book Fearless Golf.

I address the ball, ask myself what my target is, to myself I say "center of green, fairway or cup" whatever it is and that triggers my swing. Keeps my mind from wandering and I can play one shot at a time..one hole at a time. I really started working on this during the winter, shortened my pre-shot routine and other than a disastrous round I played with Siberian I have hit the ball really well.

Jason

I have too many potential swing faults that creep in if I don't have mental swing key. By focusing on pulling through with the left side I keep my swing on plane and my weight shift coordinated, and everything just seems to flow. When I don't think about that, all sorts of things can go wrong.

So what your pro teaches may be right for you, but it isn't necessarily the only way. I know that Jack Nickalus always had a swing thought that was just as natural a part of his swing as the take-away, and he occasionally played some pretty good golf. One great thing about golf is that there is more than one way to get the job done...:)

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.