• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Do you match your wedges?

Do you use matching wedges?

• Yes, It's a must.

Votes: 23 51.1%
  • No, Mix & match.

Votes: 22 48.9%

• Total voters

fore142

Oct 22, 2006
I dont, but it more out of coincidence. I wear our a lob wedge because of the sand faster than a sand wedge, and that before a gap wedge.

Also if they were the same, i would grab the wring club sometimes, like the lob wedge, instead of the sand wedge. I know you will all think this is rediculous, but it happens.

extremeVFT03

golfaholic
Supporting Member
Apr 22, 2007
Country
United States United States
i say i like them to match my irons right along with each other. I've always been that way. even when i had my fusion irons i had the matching sand and lob just because they feel the same. I'm sure its really like anything else if you have confidence in what ever it seems to work. :)

clemsonhacker

uncle sam's slave
Aug 15, 2006
i dont think it is a must but its nice to have the same feel in all my wedges. right now my 52,56,60 are all Nakashima and if they made a PW 48* id have it too...

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Interesting.
I hate having to bend way over when using my sw or 58º. Going to have to look into this.

Make perfect sense. Zero intangibles. You grab a wedge, it's the same swingweight throughout your trio, just with a different loft. With heavy lofted irons, you're not losing or gaining much distance either way, so it's pretty much a no brainer, especially for those that don't use a full swing with a wedge like myself.

Rock

The PW matches the full set, it needs to as its really a 10 iron at 47*, the SW has to have the right grind and bounce, and length and re-weighted properly, the lob wedge is a specialsist club to get the ball up quickly, so the most important club for me is just one wedge, the gap, its the club designed to hit many part-power shots under 100 yards, so it has to feel right ON ITS OWN, matching something else is irrelevant, its the scoring club and therefore its been picked for feel alone, nothing esle. IfI could have found 4 wedges from the same company that did all that I would have bought them, but its impossible. Pros are different, they can can just walk into a van and get them specced exactly how they want.

Same length wedges don't work for me, the logic doesn't work either because there will always be one or two wedges used for half shots and more so around the green, so it makes sense to cut them down and also to increase the swingweight.

How do you justify spin, sole grind, headweight, etc with three different wedges then? The Ram might spin more than the Cleveland, or vice versa.

And being close to the green....i'm willing to bet that for some shots, you're choking up, right? You're essentially throwing your swingweight and balance point out the window for that scenario.

While it's personal preference, and there's no right answer, logic would tell you that having the same head with different lofts and the same shafts eliminates plenty of variables.

R35

CoolChris909

Jan 2, 2008
I just made a purchase (12-31-07).... 56* TM Rac TP Black & 60* Cleveland 588 DSG rtg....

I wanted to keep them the same but a few differences made me choose otherwise:

1) TM TP feels so sticky/coarse on the face and it matches my set ( in Black... OOOOOOhhhh !!!!)
2) Old 588 was my $$ club.... still is, imma re-groove it watch... The new one w/ the DSG was right up my alley, even better !

I like the difference in feel, i use them for different shots. Plus, I play a mixed set anyways.... see sig. Don't worry so much about the name on the club, just how it hits. :laugh:

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
"How do you justify spin, sole grind, headweight"

I don't need to justify these at all, becuase they are all irrelevant.

Spin is mostly a result of technique, sole grind I have already explained is specific to the use, ie I have specced what I wanted in the gap and the sand iron, the others are standard, and 6 degrees is degrees, Mizunos 6 degrees aint any different to Hogans. And headweight is totally irrelevant, swingwieght however is crucial.

Yes its pers pref, but these intangibles you speak off are only relevant in your mind, which in itself may make a difference.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online