• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Do you match your wedges?

Do you use matching wedges?

• Yes, It's a must.

Votes: 23 51.1%
  • No, Mix & match.

Votes: 22 48.9%

• Total voters

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Nope, makes no difference at all because each wedge has its own use so its simply down to personal pref. No one made a 55 wedge so I had to get an older one and I love the MP-T wedges, so its my gap. The 60 is a Cleveland and few shots are ever hit full so you can't really tell any difference. But the shafts are all TT, and all the same flex and all swingweighted the same. These things matter a lot imho, not the brand of the head.

Swingweight, length of shaft, ie cut down, flex of shaft, the correct lie angle, the right bounce and of course offset if you need it, far more important things than brand. These things are where the variables will be, not the head.

WelshGolfer

aka Grand-Master-Duff
Jun 7, 2005
My personal preference is towards matched sets, but....
I like the matched look and feel of my 54 and 58 Cleveland 900s, though I have no desire to get a 50 as my Mizzy TP-9 wedge is 50 degs(old school and sweet to hit!).

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
I voted yes as I have a matched set, but I would not go as far as saying its a must. Each wedge has a different roll in my game, so if you find certain wedges perform better at each roll I would definitely break up the matched set. It all comes down to performance. If you perform better with a matched set, do it. If a mixed wedge set takes strokes of your game, keep your wedges mixed. Its not rocket surgery here. :laugh:

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Nope, makes no difference at all because each wedge has its own use so its simply down to personal pref. No one made a 55 wedge so I had to get an older one and I love the MP-T wedges, so its my gap. The 60 is a Cleveland and few shots are ever hit full so you can't really tell any difference. But the shafts are all TT, and all the same flex and all swingweighted the same. These things matter a lot imho, not the brand of the head.

Swingweight, length of shaft, ie cut down, flex of shaft, the correct lie angle, the right bounce and of course offset if you need it, far more important things than brand. These things are where the variables will be, not the head.

So, if you played all Cleveland wedges with the same specs as above, you'd be pooched?

Explain to me your logic. Personal preference is one thing, but I think it begs to say that having the same head design for your specific specs with the same shaft is going to leave alot of intangables out of the equation.

For the record, I play my wedges at all the same length and it works wonders. I've just adjusted the swingweight accordingly.

R35

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
well,....my PW and LW are Master grip and my SW matching the rest of my irons. My PW that matched my set broke one day:emot-ange.....so I order a PW and LW from Mastergrip........

Hmmmmm, wonder how that happened? Luggage handlers at the airport?:laugh: I hear you DaGris, been tempted to do that myself a few times, ok, lots of times.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
For me, I believe it is advantageous to have matching wedges...but many people seem to do just fine with unmatched....what ever the person wants, is right.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I sort of match with mine. I like a similar head design, weight, feel and especially sole grind and leading edge. It seems to matter less as I get better, I could play any wedge, just prefer the Vokey's playability.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Voted yes. Although I really liked the Mizuno Black OX that I put in between the a Ping Tour and a Ping i3+ GW, I could just never get a consistent distance Gap and it had a different feel. I just think the club was less forgiving, even though it may have had a better feel. At that point I decided they needed to match up, so since I had since picked up a Ping Tour 52* and still feel the Black OX cost me a shot at playing for a Club Championship, it was the one to go. Although I do not feel the same about finish, and have no problem with having a 52* and 56* Black Chrome Ni, and 60* Brushed/Polished chrome. Although it probably doesn't hurt that the 60* is on the far side, and I don't use it for full swings

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
i have 3 different wedge brand/styles across 4 wedges and voted no,

doesn't matter to me one way or another. all my wedges work for me, i could care less whether they match or not

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Looking at this thread, I think there are two different questions going on.

1. Do you match YOUR wedges?

&

2. Do your wedges have to match?

Two entirely different questions.

Your wedges don't have to match, obviously. But, is it better to have a matching set? Probably pretty tough to answer.

R35

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
For the record, I play my wedges at all the same length and it works wonders. I've just adjusted the swingweight accordingly.

R35

Interesting.
I hate having to bend way over when using my sw or 58º. Going to have to look into this.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Another mix & match; mine are brand matched but not style.

This past year I changed my wedge set-up a bit as I was tired of getting around the green and trying to decide which wedge to use. I skipped the i5 PW @ 46* and bent an i5 UW strong 2* to 48*. This is my last full swing club so I matched it to the rest of my irons but it does share chipping duties with the Tour-W 58*. The iWedge isn't identical to the i5 but it is very similar in appearance and set-up.

West Coast Duffer

Orange County California
Oct 12, 2007
The only wedge that is different is my 60* the rest are part of my iron set. I used to be really anal about having alll the same manufacture.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Rock

What intangibles do you want me to explain? The only ones that matter I already have, swingweight, length, shaft flex, bounce, loft, these all need to be right, the brand is irrelevant so I don't know what these intangibles are you refer to, maybe I am missing something? The PW matches the full set, it needs to as its really a 10 iron at 47*, the SW has to have the right grind and bounce, and length and re-weighted properly, the lob wedge is a specialsist club to get the ball up quickly, so the most important club for me is just one wedge, the gap, its the club designed to hit many part-power shots under 100 yards, so it has to feel right ON ITS OWN, matching something else is irrelevant, its the scoring club and therefore its been picked for feel alone, nothing esle. IfI could have found 4 wedges from the same company that did all that I would have bought them, but its impossible. Pros are different, they can can just walk into a van and get them specced exactly how they want.

Same length wedges don't work for me, the logic doesn't work either because there will always be one or two wedges used for half shots and more so around the green, so it makes sense to cut them down and also to increase the swingweight.

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
I just have my PW with the iron set, and a 56º 10º bounce Vokey SM sand wedge. When I started golfing 100 years ago, there were no good teaching pros around my little town, so I learned from tapes..........Nicklaus, etc. The short game by John Jacobs (not the John Jacobs on the Champions tour at present) taught how to use the PW for many shots and distances, and I practiced that in the back yard for hours a day, so while I don't have a wedge set, my short game is the strongest part of my game. I can do lots of things with a PW and have alot of confidence in that fact. :)

🔥 Latest posts