• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Do you play a cut, draw or a straight ball

Flag dead center of the green 160 out, no wind

• do you play a fade

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • a draw

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • or straight at the pin

Votes: 15 50.0%

• Total voters

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
I can usually work the ball both ways if I have to, call me a ***** but my go to shot is a little cut, depending on how far away the pin is I aim about 5-10 yards left of the pin and just try to fade the ball in there. I only play a draw if I have to, like going to a back left pin or when in-between clubs and I need a little more distance or when I have to work it around trees ext... I just cant trust my draw I over cook it easy or it lands very hot and I can never judge how far it will roll.

Is it just me or do guys that play a draw have big egos.

Fitzpatrick

Good Walk Spoiler
Supporting Member
Dec 19, 2006
I draw it, but can cut it if I have to (actually, "cut" is the wrong way to put it: if I have to work the ball left to right, it is almost invariably a contortion of arms and shoulders to get the result that I am looking for). I just have always released the club in a way to get a draw, and I don't see any good reason to change it.

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
I usually play a little baby fade. I have it to the point where if I can set up consistently, I can swing as hard as I want, and it'll be straight to a little fade. But for some reason on the last driving hole today, I hit a huge draw. It was one of my nicer shots though, sailed high over a tree, drew to a few inches from the left rough.

JasonMacIsaac

Titleist and Cleveland
Feb 23, 2005
I didn't read the question...with the driver I play a draw....from 160 out pretty much straight.

keithpbz

Nov 18, 2007
Off the tee i play either a fade or a draw, i almost always play a fade into a green, and from 8 iron thru wedges they go almost dead straight with about a yard of fade.

Dusty90

Another Canuck
May 6, 2007
Depends on what part of the year. At the start of the year, I could do noting but draw the ball, and I liked it that way. Now I can't turn the ball that way for the life of me and am forced to play the fade that occasionally is turning into a slice. And it is not that I feel that I am better if I play a draw, it is just that my home course is much more forgiving to the draw/hook then it is to the fade/slice.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
When I am striking the ball well, it will leak a little on way or the other but not enough to call it a draw or a fade. It goes pretty straight. If I am not striking the ball well, I am hitting a nasty "quail hook" that with the driver goes about 180 yards straight about 12 feet off the ground and then after landing another 40 or 50 yards dead left into the trees. Looks just like a quail when it hits the ground running.

It is by far one of the ugliest shots in golf and makes me consider buying a bass boat eventhough I don't enjoy fishing much at all.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
I can usually work the ball both ways if I have to, call me a ***** but my go to shot is a little cut, depending on how far away the pin is I aim about 5-10 yards left of the pin and just try to fade the ball in there. I only play a draw if I have to, like going to a back left pin or when in-between clubs and I need a little more distance or when I have to work it around trees ext... I just cant trust my draw I over cook it easy or it lands very hot and I can never judge how far it will roll.

Is it just me or do guys that play a draw have big egos.

Jack Nicklaus played a fade during his entire career. Nothing wrong with playing a fade.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Straight at the pin.
I am not good enough yet to "work" the ball. I can put a bit of fade into a shot with my 5 or 6 iron & have used that a couple times.

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
FADERS UNITE!!!! DOWN WITH THE DRAW!!!!

The shape of my left to righters bein at about the 6 iron (short irons are straight) and is pretty small with the 6, growing progressivley larger as I move up to the long irons. Biggest cut is with the driver or course.

I have not seen the left side of golf course in YEARS, but I have a;ways wondered what it is like over there. Do they have grass there? Do little nymphs hide in the woods looking for handome guys who draw the ball, etc. Are your bathrooms cleaner over there? Lots of questions.....

I gave up trying to hit the draw a long time ago... my left wrist position at the top of the backswing makes it tough for me, but the fade I hit is so damn repeatable and predictable, why change? If it's just for looks, I can be a cool looking "player" with my Cameron.

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
We all know you don't have a big ego;) Have you closed any tourneys lately:)

The avatar of his lovely new wife is gone, so maybe he's been knocked down a peg or two? :D Let's' just hope she's not in the "members section"... never been there myslef byut I've heard stories!

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
I try to hit straight, but usually have a fade....Driver I like to hit a huge banana baller...adds a good 50yds to every hole....lol

OP
gunning4u

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
Jack Nicklaus played a fade during his entire career. Nothing wrong with playing a fade.

Yes he did. I read his book a few years ago and the way he described how he played his iron shots made a lot of sense. He set up for a little fade almost every time he would aim about 15-20 ft left, if he pulled off the shot it would be right at the pin, if his ball went straight he would have about a 15-20 ft putt, if he over cooked his fade and it moved 30-40 ft off line he would still have a 15-20ft putt.

He felt the hardest shot to play in golf is a straight shot. He said when people play right at the pin and pull it off its great but usually they will miss a little right or a little left giving themselves a short lets say 15-20ft putt. He said they run into problems with their big misses, if they are aiming right at the pin and miss left or right by lets say 30-40ft they are going to have a 30-40 ft putt. He always felt he had an advantage in competition over someone that always tried to hit a straight shot because over a round on average he would have shorter putts.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online