• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Do you practice?

Libre

Jul 29, 2007
Country
United States United States
The pros practice more than they play, I'd expect. But do you practice? I don't mean a 15 minute warm up before the round. I mean hours of working on structured exercises and specific things. I've done so. I usually prefer to just go play, but I have spent significant time, practicing on the range and the practice greens and sand bunkers. And in practice I do seem to accomplish better contact and consistency. But no matter what I do, when I face that same shot on the course during a round - I still fear that I might (and often do) muff it. If I'm playing alone, when I blow a shot (and if the round is shot to hell anyway), sometimes I'll throw down a ball in disgust, and often make an excellent shot. So that gives me a smidgen of hope. It's clear that it's a mental thing, but it's not clear how to solve it.
So do you have a practice routine? Does you find it leads to greater success on the course, or like me, find that no matter how much you practice, every shot you play is an unique experience, whose outcome is completely unknown until the ball finally comes to rest. Somewhere.

Last edited:

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
The Good Lord put a certain number of swings in each of these bodies. We don't know what that number is and when they will be used up. Why waste them on the driving range or with practice swings? Go play!!

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I play every day it's not raining or below zero. One old gent once told me "don't waste all your best swings on practice swings" and he was right. When I quit taken practice swings I improved because then you have to find a way to make it work the first time. So without getting too long winded and carrying on forever I guess limp and I agree. Which is nice.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Do I practice? Yes. Enough to get better? Doesn't seem like it.

When I go to the range, generally, it's a reason to get together with the guys from work and have some beers. I play golf socially. I"m there to have fun.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
giphy.gif

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
I’ve also been practicing more than I play. I don’t have too much time to play after work, so I go to the range hit two buckets and do some short game workouts for another half hour ish. I do that like 2 or three times a week and then I mostly only play on the weekends. The range i frequent is really nice, all natural turf and wide wide open, no nets no B.S. the short game area they have is really nice too, great putting green and chipping/bunker range. I think it helps me stay fresh and makes me think way less about my actual swing when I’m on the course. I’m not thinking about how to hit it, because it’s automatic. The only thought I have is the type of shot I’m trying to hit. It also helps me stay dialed in with my distance and exactly how far I’m hitting the ball and how I’m carrying it. By practicing a lot it allows me to keep my game more consistent from round to round and especially helps when I don’t always play an actual round every week.

🔥 Latest posts