• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Do You Put a Line on your GOLF ball?

Line or No Line

• Yes - I put a line on the ball and use it

Votes: 18 31.0%
  • No - Doesn't make any difference

Votes: 40 69.0%

• Total voters

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
The way I "mark my Titleist", in my case a Srixon, is 2 orange dots on opposite sides of the number, then I trace over the built in line with the orange sharpie. I use this as a stare point on my drives and putts, but don't really use it as a alignment aide.

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
No line. I'm a total "feel" putter.

Lately though, I have been toying with the pre-printed line on my Titleists. Haven't noticed a difference yet.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Okay, here's my take. I've seen player after player spend a ridiculous (in my opinion) time to line up a sharpie mark, logo, cart path gnarl... line up something until it is "perfect". Once the ball is lined up with in a half degree of what THEY perceive is their line... they still miss the putt. Then, we have to watch the same exercise again.

Professionals have the experience and the eyes to know exactly where they want to hit the putt... EXACTLY!!!! Most weekend players do not. So often I see the people lining up the line or logo with the center of the hole... not with the line they need to putt on. The key... is properly reading the green and, then, being able to hit the putt on the line at the speed that is required.

Line up the putt with the proper read... and hit it too hard or not hard enough, it's not going into the hole. Line up the putt with an improper read... hit it a little too hard, and your "mistake" may still see the ball go into the hole.

Personally, I think a line on the ball takes a person's focus off the real requirements to becoming a good putter... line AND speed. You will not be successful until both are the traits you employ while putting. I have found much more success, concentrating of perfecting the speed required for the greens. We are "dew sweepers". Some greens can still be quite wet, even though freshly mowed, early in the round. As the round progresses, we can see the speed of the greens change dramatically. Many playing later in the day have much more consistent speed. The changing speed we encounter makes us much more cognisant of how speed effects the success of your putting stroke.

Sorry, I got long winded. No... I don't see where a line on the ball makes much difference to most mid to high handicap players. (Just my opinion!)

While I agree with about 90% of what you wrote in this post, I will say that when I am practicing I like to have a line on my ball so I know if it was a square, flush strike. When I play the line on the ball makes no difference to me. When I am putting in the living room or practice green I line up the line on the ball and if it goes end over end to the hole, it was a square strike.

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
No i dont put an extra line on my ball, but i line my putts up using the given alignment aid. I usually use prov1's and i like their alignment mark. Unless its a tap in or a gimme i can guarantee you that i will line it up.

People say i putt slow, but they are always the ones who refuse to play ready golf and take 50 practice swings. I take my practice swings at other times, and when its my turn i make sure that i am ready.

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
i dont put a line on my balls.but ido sometimes use the lines on the balls.it just depends on how i am putting that day.

DrivetheGreen66

College Golfer
Jun 29, 2008
I used to use the line me up system based on swing coach's advice but now since titleist came out with the alignment line on the side of my Pro v i don't anymore

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Spent an hour on the course putting green yesterday playing with this idea.... result?

No advantage (for me) with a line on the ball. Putted just as well or better without one. But now I know.... :D

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
While I agree with about 90% of what you wrote in this post, I will say that when I am practicing I like to have a line on my ball so I know if it was a square, flush strike. When I play the line on the ball makes no difference to me. When I am putting in the living room or practice green I line up the line on the ball and if it goes end over end to the hole, it was a square strike.

Excellent point!! I have a half dozen, or so, old Ping two-color golf balls that I use for "carpet putting" in the basement. Those give excellent visual feedback as to how the ball rolls off the putter face.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I line my ball, but while I use it when I am putting, I find it more beneficial for alignment on tee shots and for easily identifying my ball. On the green, I just line it up roughly towards my line I initially percieve, then adjust my aim based on what I read and how it correlates to the line.

edit 1 - ... for those who think a line is time consuming, for me I find it much more annoying watching someone walk to both sides of the hole, take 3 practice strokes and miss the putt, when I can make the same putt with only viewing the line from behind and never taking a practice stroke. I guess it is all in the process, but if anyone ever says anything about me taking two seconds to turn my ball on line, you can bet the rest of their day is going to be miserable when they do their 45 second to 2 minute routine to make sure they are in their zone. While they take about 5 times as long to miss their putt, I usually refrain from saying anything.

For those with alignment issues off the tee, I further try and refrain when they spend 45 second making sure they are in line with their target (putting the club on their shoulders, looking at their feet then walking back behind their ball when it is really their heels that should be in line with the target, or shanking a ball in the woods and putting a club at their feet because it had to be their alignment that caused them to hit it off the hosel) on the tee when they could accomplish the same by taking 2 seconds to line the ball with the target when they put it on the tee.

Spending 20 seconds to figure out how to pick up their ball to identify it without being perceived as having improved their lie, when I can see my line from about 20 yards, or ten feet in the rough. :)

edit 2 - ... also provides good feedback on the course to where you are striking the ball on the clubface.

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
You can't look like a "player" unless you arrange the ball some way on the green and on the tee. Whether it is lining up a line or logo or setting it so there is only white showing, doesn't matter. They are the only situations when you can exactly control your lie, why wouldn't you make them as perfect as possible?

IMO you look like a chop if you just drop it and play it regardless of how good you are.

Said the guy telling us in his sig he has a Rattler grip on his Scotty, and has NAMES for his hybrid and 7 wood? Not poking fun, just find it amusing! :ugly25:

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
You can't look like a "player" unless you arrange the ball some way on the green and on the tee. Whether it is lining up a line or logo or setting it so there is only white showing, doesn't matter. They are the only situations when you can exactly control your lie, why wouldn't you make them as perfect as possible?

IMO you look like a chop if you just drop it and play it regardless of how good you are.

You have to be kidding. When I'm hitting, no matter that it's tee shot, approach, or putt, all I see is the ball. I shut out any other distinctions. I don't line up anything when I replace my ball for putting. I don't care in the least what is or isn't showing because that has nothing to do with where the ball is going. The only things that affect the roll of the ball are my read and the speed I hit it with. I'm a spot putter, have been for 30 years and I've never much bought into fads (which is how I view the whole line issue). And I don't really care what it looks like to you.

Bottom line is.... no line. :biglol:

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
voted no for making a line.....i just use whatever is on the ball....i like to see that i am lined up square to my line. i line up the "mark" towards something beyond the hole....like a leaf or tree or something the i am using as my "target". kinda weird but i found playing pool that i made more cut shots when i lined the shot up and looked at something past the table on the wall or bar...so use this same technique on long or hard breaking putts, since you aren't looking at anything like you do in pool, i use the alignment mark and aim it at my target.

Jason

Members online

No members online now.