• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Do You Put a Line on your GOLF ball?

Line or No Line

• Yes - I put a line on the ball and use it

Votes: 18 31.0%
  • No - Doesn't make any difference

Votes: 40 69.0%

• Total voters

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Since I've got my driver going and my irons going I've got to get my short game better. I've never drawn a line on my golf balls nor played around lining it up but I've come to the conclusion it might help me at least get my putt going on my chosen "path". I never did it before because I didn't want to be slow but everyone I golf with does it so why should my score suffer for being the only one who worries about moving fast? I added 10 gr. weights to my Spider putter and it seems to really keep my stroke right. I want to getting my putting to the point where the only error would be in reading the green. If I pick a line I want that putt on that line, correct or wrong... :) How many of you guys put a line on your ball and line it up before hitting the putt? :)

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I don't draw a line nor do I use the small on that some balls come with. Wherever & however the ball comes to rest on the green is how I play it. In my own opinion it's all about reading the break properly & getting the proper speed. A small line isn't going to make 1 bit of difference to me one way or the other.

Jerry, 1 thing I do which really seems to help & I for some reason manage to make my share of 20'+ putts, is I pick out my line & then I pick a small spot on the green right in the line that's maybe 2' in front of my ball & that's what I aim at. Aiming at a hole 15-20' away is kind of hard to do but a spot only 2' away is easy.

clemsonhacker

uncle sam's slave
Aug 15, 2006
i like how you typed golf in all caps b/c you knew this thread would turn gay quick... anyhoo, no lines on my GOLF balls

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Okay, here's my take. I've seen player after player spend a ridiculous (in my opinion) time to line up a sharpie mark, logo, cart path gnarl... line up something until it is "perfect". Once the ball is lined up with in a half degree of what THEY perceive is their line... they still miss the putt. Then, we have to watch the same exercise again.

Professionals have the experience and the eyes to know exactly where they want to hit the putt... EXACTLY!!!! Most weekend players do not. So often I see the people lining up the line or logo with the center of the hole... not with the line they need to putt on. The key... is properly reading the green and, then, being able to hit the putt on the line at the speed that is required.

Line up the putt with the proper read... and hit it too hard or not hard enough, it's not going into the hole. Line up the putt with an improper read... hit it a little too hard, and your "mistake" may still see the ball go into the hole.

Personally, I think a line on the ball takes a person's focus off the real requirements to becoming a good putter... line AND speed. You will not be successful until both are the traits you employ while putting. I have found much more success, concentrating of perfecting the speed required for the greens. We are "dew sweepers". Some greens can still be quite wet, even though freshly mowed, early in the round. As the round progresses, we can see the speed of the greens change dramatically. Many playing later in the day have much more consistent speed. The changing speed we encounter makes us much more cognisant of how speed effects the success of your putting stroke.

Sorry, I got long winded. No... I don't see where a line on the ball makes much difference to most mid to high handicap players. (Just my opinion!)

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I put a line on my ball, but don't normally take much care lining it up for putts. Today I did (based on an instructor's recommendation) and I didn't like it. I felt very mechanical, and I felt like I was fighting my natural stroke, pulling and pushing putts, just to keep the line rolling properly, instead of rolling the ball to the hole. I'm going to keep trying it, since my goal would be to trust that I've lined the ball up properly. Then I can simply align my stance and putter properly, and focus on keeping my head down.

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
I just look out of the corner of my eye when I'm putting. It helped me a lot. I was draining a lot of 10-15 footers. A ton of lip outs.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I use a line for putting and ball identification. Some moron still hit my ball last week with the line on it. Fortunately he duffed it 20ft. so I picked it up and said, "try checking your ball next time, this is mine". He said "What!?" like he was all offended. I said "don't worry about it man, just check please".

Anyway. I mark, clean, read, put it back and hit the putt. I think it's faster since the routine is simple and I don't sit over the putt for a minute.

Dusty90

Another Canuck
May 6, 2007
If I mark my ball, then I will put it down so that there is only white showing. But normally I wont even do that and just play it how it is sitting after my approach shot.

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
Hate lines... I don't even use the line the manufacturers put on the ball. Only white showing for me.

So many hacks line up the ball using an alignment aid.... and then hit the ball with speed (either too much spped or too little) that does NOT allow the ball to go in based on the intended line they lined up with in the first place.

Hate it, and them. I usually split their skull with my Sand Wedge after a few holes of this. My father won't play with me anymore. Pansy.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Hate lines... I don't even use the line the manufacturers put on the ball. Only white showing for me.

So many hacks line up the ball using an alignment aid.... and then hit the ball with speed (either too much spped or too little) that does NOT allow the ball to go in based on the intended line they lined up with in the first place.

Hate it, and them. I usually split their skull with my Sand Wedge after a few holes of this. My father won't play with me anymore. Pansy.

Don't worry, I'll make up for it by being far enough up for you to hit driver right after I get to my ball since I can outdrive you with a 6iron.
icon12.gif

West Coast Duffer

Orange County California
Oct 12, 2007
I use a line, it really has helped my putting and really hasnt taken me any longer to putt, It does look awkward standing over it since it looks like its lined up wrong.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
The little sign which comes with most balls is enough for "alignment" I think...

🔥 Latest posts