• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Do You Put a Line on your GOLF ball?

Line or No Line

• Yes - I put a line on the ball and use it

Votes: 18 31.0%
  • No - Doesn't make any difference

Votes: 40 69.0%

• Total voters

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
I did a little experiment last evening on the practice putting green.....

Made twice as many 10'+ putts using the line. On shorter putts it didn't matter.

Making two 10 footers out of 10 instead of one 10 footer out of ten is indeed twice as much! :eek:

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
Making two 10 footers out of 10 instead of one 10 footer out of ten is indeed twice as much! :eek:

that.was.awesome.

cheesy.gif

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
If my ball has a line on it, either the manufacturer put it there or the cart path/a tree did.

gregfletch

Aug 20, 2006
Try This!

For putting, I position the ball so that there's only white on the top. So no line.

I agree completely. This is what I do. This really helps you make a smooth stroke. Putting can NOT be mechanical - which is what happens when you start trying to use a line on the ball....

loftgolf

noob no more!
Jun 13, 2008
I don't have room for a line on my golf ball. Once you write your address and affix a stamp, there's not much room left. The good news is there are always a few balls in my mailbox :thumbs up:

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
I agree completely. This is what I do. This really helps you make a smooth stroke. Putting can NOT be mechanical - which is what happens when you start trying to use a line on the ball....

The next time I see Tiger, I'll be sure to pass this along. His putting has sucked lately.

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
I found something at the range tonight. I line up my putts but I sometimes have problems when I get over the ball and it feels like the line is pointing right or left of the spot it was aimed at. I always thought it was an optical illusion or something.

Tonight I was working on the putting green and my stance, I lined up a 10ft putt that I read as right edge. I got over the ball took my stance and the line looked like it was pointing left of the hole. I took a ball out of my pocket took my stance again put the ball in-between my eyes on the bridge of my nose and let it fall. It landed just on the far side of the ball, I was standing to close to the ball I moved back a bit and the line on the ball moved right back to the right edge of the hole. It was a no $hit moment for me, all those times I couldn't figure out why the line didn't look like it was pointing at my target was because I was standing to close or too far away from the ball.

With my putter if I set up correctly with my eyes over the middle of the ball the line will look like it is pointing at the spot I picked when standing behind the ball. Then I use the line to square up my feet, hips and shoulders then all I need to worry about is pace. After I figured this out tonight I started putting lights out, it was crazy.

DrivetheGreen66

College Golfer
Jun 29, 2008
gunningforu..... u need the eyeline putting system. it worked miracles for my alingment when my teacher gave me one. the mirror system is awesome where it shows you where your eyes are as well as your shoulders

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
gunningforu..... u need the eyeline putting system. it worked miracles for my alingment when my teacher gave me one. the mirror system is awesome where it shows you where your eyes are as well as your shoulders
I've been thinking seriously about getting this product. I've noticed huge differences in my putting when I get my eyes properly positioned. Garbage in-garbage out.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online