• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Do you really do Hogan?

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Pic 1,arms in the Hogan position,insides of elbows pointing to the sky

Pic 2,exacty the same,yo ahve just turned your hands in to grip the club,as in the elastic around the arms pic in his book.Right arm slightly bent,elbow pointing to right hip

Try it,with square hips and shoulders and providing you turn the body as well as the arms,you should maintain loft going back and be on perfect plane,making sure you don't lift to upright.Then start down with the hips and DON'T USE THE HANDS,let the whip of the lag do the work,or you will go left or slice f the face is open at impact.

I just wonder how many players read his book but never fully get their arms right to start off with.I posted this after a guy today told me Hogan is his bible,yet his address position was akin to Eamonn Darcy,who had no choice how he addressed the ball.The guy had no concept of what Hogan was saying at all.

001.JPG

003.JPG

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I'll give this some thought at the range today, thanks Dave. I really hope you didn't take that pic in your boxers either.
icon10.gif

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Im guna try that tonight at the range, although i think im already pretty close to that.

How come im the only person I know who wears his trion:z on his left wrist?

The master

Oct 24, 2004
Are they any use those things, dude ? Was thinking of getting one as I lost my Rayma. Endosed by Leadbetter, yeah..?

At £19 a go I'm not to sure if they are worth it mate, I have one and haven't noticed anything from it. Think it is endorsed by Harmon.

Bignose

Oct 23, 2006
Left hand grip seems too far weak to me......

I agree with this. You have to remember how often Hogan fought a hook in his career, and his grip was deliberately weak to try to prevent that hook as much as possible. The man was very analytic and would explore all the options to figure out what he could do to prevent errors, and that included changing the grip if needed. For most people, that grip is probably too weak. But, that doesn't mean you shouldn't try.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I let my arms find their natural position. My hands hang down and my elbows point wherever they want to. It so happens that my natural address position has the insides of my elbows pointing mostly up, a la Hogan, but that's purely coincidental. I want no tension in my arms, and thus won't force them into any position.

I have been watching some modern pros, and have noticed that their left arm is turned so that the outside of the left elbow points down the target line. Watch this clip of Sergio to see what I mean. I tried it, and it seems to make getting on plane easier, and facilitate hitting with the big muscles of the back and torso, but I feel too stiff when I try it.

Loosey-Goosey. That's my mantra.

YouTube - Sergio Garcia Swing Vision

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
I like it and my back feels better in the mornings than it does when I dont wear it.

It may be in my head, but if it helps my head then its worth the couple bucks paid for it no?:)

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
I agree with this. You have to remember how often Hogan fought a hook in his career, and his grip was deliberately weak to try to prevent that hook as much as possible. The man was very analytic and would explore all the options to figure out what he could do to prevent errors, and that included changing the grip if needed. For most people, that grip is probably too weak. But, that doesn't mean you shouldn't try.

Now, you're just trying to confuse me..... :)

My left hand grip is strong... stronger than most, and I fade the ball to the extent that I have not seen the left rough since the Reagan administration......

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Now, you're just trying to confuse me..... :)

My left hand grip is strong... stronger than most, and I fade the ball to the extent that I have not seen the left rough since the Reagan administration......

Weak grip....will promote a fade.
weak grip.jpg

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005

I can still hook the snot out of the ball even with this weak of a grip if I don't keep rotating my body through the shot. I can flip with the best of them.

OP
dave.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Ok,a few things.Forget the grip,I wasnt holding a club so its irrelevant,however I agree that Hogans was slightly to weak for many players,the left thumb needs to be over the right for a fraction,but nowhere near as much as many think.In my opinion far to many beginners have grips that are way to strong and as a result they deloft and then build in corrections.

A key to great ball striking is maintaining loft nd using the body to power the club down and through,not the hands,they do nothing,so the grip is crucial in bringing the club down square,and imho Hogan's grip and a small fade is infinitly better than swing corrections from a strong grip and using the hands and timing to correct the mistakes.It may be to weak for most,but we need some perspective,its a tiny amount,not much

And Hogans grip was not just about fighting a hook,it was a superb grip in many many ways and yet its just reduced to 'just designed to fight a hook',which a total injustice to a superb grip from many technical viewpoints.The left thumb is perhaps 3 millimeteres to weak for most golfers,which is my point,people think they use Hogan's book but they don't.Oh its to weak,so they totally chnge the grip thinking they are still using his advice.You aren't,the right hand will most likely have moved when it shouldn't.THE RIGHT HAND IS STILL PERFECT WITH HOGAN,ONLY THE LEFT THUMB NEED STRENGHTEN.

And the next point,about losey losey arms.You can still get into Hogan's arm position without tension,you will some athleticism there,but no tension,but it takes real practice and efort to work at it.Nothing in Hogan's book is easy.You have to rally work at getting in these positions and takes months of hard work to bed them in.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.