• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Does anyone meet their goals in golf?

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
Last year about this time I shot 92 once. I thought and wanted to be able to hit 95 consistantly and I shall suffice w/ my game til i can't swing anymore. Since then, i've been knocking on 70's several times (low 80s), and now my desire to break 80 has been growing so much.

the goal is to at least break 80 once this year and i'm gonna try to see if i can do this.

so i want to ask fellow golfers if you had specific goal that you wanted to achieve and actually reaching or reaching beyond their goals?

(my minor goal is to avoid those dreaded 3 putts more than i do now.. LOL)

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
My main goal right now is to consistantly, or semi-consistantly, get into 60s.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Due to a ratty short game, I haven't met any goals this year. Stinks.

BTW, I'm confident you'd be in the seventies all the time if you got rid of the blades. Just sayin'.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
I just wanted to make contact with the ball.
Never worried about a score since I figured that getting down the fundamentals & just hitting the ball well along with lot's of practice would bring the scores down.

Right now I really really need to work on short game. I am ok with my driving & my irons have the usual hot & cold days....helps if I take my time, go thru my routine & don't get nervous.

To sum it all up, yes I have surpassed any goals I may have had 5 months ago.

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
I have two goals in golf, and I have not achieved either one yet. The first is to shoot a 54 (I know it is almost impossible, but you have to set those goals high) and the second is to hit every fairway and green in regulation in the same round, been close a few times.

OP
twofast2s

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
Due to a ratty short game, I haven't met any goals this year. Stinks.

BTW, I'm confident you'd be in the seventies all the time if you got rid of the blades. Just sayin'.

haha.. i should've mentioned, w/o hoing any equipments. i know what you're saying and i'm sure i'll save around 3 strokes per round, but i'll consider that cheating for me.

I have two goals in golf, and I have not achieved either one yet. The first is to shoot a 54 (I know it is almost impossible, but you have to set those goals high) and the second is to hit every fairway and green in regulation in the same round, been close a few times.

that's also a good goal. i hope to be good enough to make it realistic goal for me though. as of right now, i only get one or two birdies in a round.. hehe..

i guess once you break 70, most people have jeff's goal? to be in 60's more consistnatly?

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
Breaking 80 is not out of reach at all. I have a decent short game and have 5 handicap while only hitting about 8 greens on average a round.

That said, take an honest look at your game, figure out what is costing you the most strokes, and work on that.

Also, be sure to set smaller goals that are related to your goal of breaking 80. Just having breaking 80 as a goal isn't specfic enough.

For example, I want to get the last 5 strokes off of my handicap and be scratch. For me, this means that I need to have several other goals linked to this one big goal. I need to hit at least 2/3 of greens instead of 43% or whatever 8 per round works out to. In other words, I need to be hitting about 12 instead of not quite 8. I need to get up and down from around the green 2/3 of the time when I miss instead of the 50% that I average now. I need to make 1 birdie per every 3 greens hit. I need to hit 2/3 of the fairways instead of the almost 7 I average now. I need to hit around 10.

All of these goals can be whittled down even further for me. I need to improve my ball striking. Video has shown me that I have trouble keeping my spine angle on the backswing and stand up a bit. This makes consistent ballstriking next to impossible and my long game suffers because of it. My primary goal for the moment is to fix this swing fault and the others will begin to take care of themselves.

Bottom line, break your big goals down into smaller goals so that you can stay focused on what it is you are trying to accomplish.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Yep Goal was to get up and down 50% of the time when 30 yards and in. I think I'm there.

Next goal is to learn a consistent knock down shot

I've set my goals pretty easy as in this stage of my golf life (I'm 54) I want to spend more time on the course and less time on the range.

Lil_Huth

Sep 14, 2007
I had a goal to just get better overall. I consider that I accomplished it. Last year was my 2nd year golfing and I was close to a 30 cap. Now this year im down to a 9 and still dropping as the year goes on. We will see what happens. I am usually low 80's player this year and my putting keeps me from the 70s consistently. Yesterday though I wasnt putting that bad and posted a 78.

5iron

Id like to get under 60 on nine lol... And i wanna get a birdie.:)

RustyL

Sep 20, 2007
At 5 months playing for me. I don't know if I should have any. I just want to hit the ball straight. I have been playing quite often and have shot anywhere from 85 to 110. I'm probably averaging low to mid 90's and it is driving me nuts. From what some have posted in here that I should be satified with that as of this moment. I'm my worst critic. Some days the first 4 holes I par or birdie then I blow up. That being said, I guess my goal would be not to get dissatified. Just keep stroking.

5iron

At 5 months playing for me. I don't know if I should have any. I just want to hit the ball straight. I have been playing quite often and have shot anywhere from 85 to 110. I'm probably averaging low to mid 90's and it is driving me nuts. From what some have posted in here that I should be satified with that as of this moment. I'm my worst critic. Some days the first 4 holes I par or birdie then I blow up. That being said, I guess my goal would be not to get dissatified. Just keep stroking.

Ive been playing since April, and you can read my post lol, your doing good man, but itotally understand what u mean about being your own worst critic.:laugh:

Lil_Huth

Sep 14, 2007
Same here, when I play in a golf match for my H.S. I get pissed if I don't shoot in the 30s. If Im playing half decent that is.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Missed my goals this year...

A win (2 more runner up finishes, wont have another chance at it this year)
Break 70 (shot 70 5 times and counting, still time though)
Hit every green/fw in a round (was 1 fw and 1 green away though, still time)

Then next season is to get into the 60s a few times in competition, cuz I have complete confidence the way im playing i'll have broken 70 by the time tourneys start in the spring.

To add though, I had an extremely tough year this year with lots of problems, so Im happy to have come through it the way I have and have my game where it is righ tnow.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
My goal is to beat you in match play. :laugh: No, really, my goal has to be to par every hole. I scored a better last year when I played more conservative.

You'll be under 80 in no time. To tell you the truth, I think you could break it no sweat now if you played the same course for a month or so and didn't take quite so many risks with the driver. That's how I did it several times, although it was an easy course. I simply said, "ok, these are the holes I keep f'ing up so I'll hit an iron off the tee" I parred those holes and didn't put up the doubles. I remember the 1st 9, 1st time I broke 80. I went into the par 5 9th and realized I had all 4's on the card. :)

It's not like we've been playing easy courses either. Even I can break 80 on 118 slope off the whites on a decent day. When you continue to play off the tips of the toughest courses around it's not going to be easy. We should go tear up an easy track one day just for a confidence booster.

🔥 Latest posts