• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Does anyone meet their goals in golf?

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
BTW- the new avatar is purty.... but I think you'd best get that ball back in the stance a little more.
icon12.gif

OP
twofast2s

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
Breaking 80 is not out of reach at all. I have a decent short game and have 5 handicap while only hitting about 8 greens on average a round.

That said, take an honest look at your game, figure out what is costing you the most strokes, and work on that.

Also, be sure to set smaller goals that are related to your goal of breaking 80. Just having breaking 80 as a goal isn't specfic enough.

For example, I want to get the last 5 strokes off of my handicap and be scratch. For me, this means that I need to have several other goals linked to this one big goal. I need to hit at least 2/3 of greens instead of 43% or whatever 8 per round works out to. In other words, I need to be hitting about 12 instead of not quite 8. I need to get up and down from around the green 2/3 of the time when I miss instead of the 50% that I average now. I need to make 1 birdie per every 3 greens hit. I need to hit 2/3 of the fairways instead of the almost 7 I average now. I need to hit around 10.

All of these goals can be whittled down even further for me. I need to improve my ball striking. Video has shown me that I have trouble keeping my spine angle on the backswing and stand up a bit. This makes consistent ballstriking next to impossible and my long game suffers because of it. My primary goal for the moment is to fix this swing fault and the others will begin to take care of themselves.

Bottom line, break your big goals down into smaller goals so that you can stay focused on what it is you are trying to accomplish.

i know what you mean. my putting stats are pretty bad right now. i'm avg about 36.4 putts per round. 3.2 3-putts/round and i regularly miss putts that are w/in 5 ft. this is what really kills me as far as the scoring goes. my misses for long games are 90% (guestimating) recoverable. driver not on the fairway is on the rough few feet away, approach shots are pretty close to the pin, although not necessarily on the green.

BTW- the new avatar is purty.... but I think you'd best get that ball back in the stance a little more.
icon12.gif

haha.. i like to have my balls little forward to reduce spin. last time i had it back in my stance my ball either ballooned or zipped back off the green. i might try it since my swing has changed a bit.

Irish

May 9, 2007
my goal is to enjoy my golf as much as possible and to get some serious sledging in while on the course with my buddies...I succeed on both counts...

in our regular game I would estimate that we cost each other as much as five shots a round by means on constant sledging just before we swing....

I always shot much better when playing with work collegues or people from the club but won't have a much fun as when we discuss peoples mothers favourite positions mid backswing :laugh:

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
My goals for the year were to win a tournament and to break 80 consistently.

I've won my flight twice, and broken 80 4 times, so I've almost gotten there. :D

My goal for next year will be to move up a flight and win there, break 80 90% of the time, and learn to hit my driver the way I was hitting it 2 days ago.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
What did you do to hit your driver better? I didn't see any additions to your other thread.. :)

That's the problem: I don't know and I can't duplicate it consistently. :) I know it's in there, because I was bombing high straight shots on Sunday, but last night at the range I was pathetic.

5iron

Good job to every1 if you broke your goal or not you had fun right !!! :D

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
i did make one of my goals-not having any 50`s or higher during league play(48 twice was my highest).

the second one i came up a .5 stroke shy wanted to get to 44 or lower ended up at 44.5.

justsomeguythatgolfs

Apr 8, 2006
my goal this year was to consistently shoot in the mid to hight 70s and make sectionals in high school golf and i got to both of them. ill shoot mid 70s when i just play to practice and high 70s to low 80s in tournaments

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
My goals were to break 90 and to get my handicap below 20.

I broke 90 a couple of months back, although that lead to a terrible run of scores to follow it! Seems to be back on track now though, and I'm back around the low 90s every time out it seems.

Got my 'cap down to 22.1 right now and had it down to 21.6 at one point, but I'm happy with that as it's a pretty genuine figure that represents what I'm likely to score more times out.

Pretty happy with my goals for this year, all in all...

OP
twofast2s

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
cool. so most people are getting there. once i broke 90, i consistantly broke 90.

i'd imagine it'll be tougher to break 80 for me, but i hope to change that soon.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
i know what you mean. my putting stats are pretty bad right now. i'm avg about 36.4 putts per round. 3.2 3-putts/round and i regularly miss putts that are w/in 5 ft. this is what really kills me as far as the scoring goes.

On the current revision, my handicap has gone up to 5.3. Your handicap is 11.9. I average 30.14 putts per round to your 36.4. Do the math. If you putted like I do, you would have almost the same handicap as me.

I would practice straight 5 footers until I could consistently make 12 or so in a row. I have made as many as 30 in row.

emc

What would the Joker do?
Feb 4, 2006
My goals were to break 70 (not done), break par in a tournament (agonizingly close, made 6 on an easy par 5 18th, and had 3 doubles in last 5 holes to shoot 2 over in another) and get down to a GUI handicap of 3 (not done). So I didn't fulfil my goals, but they were a little results oriented instead of me making a plan to practice for 4 hours a week outside of 'real' golf, which is what I have done now. To see if I can stick it is a different matter entirely

🔥 Latest posts