• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Does it Rock???

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Initial thoughts on the Cobra L4V. Picked it up this morning and to be honest it looks ok. It's by no means a thing of beauty but there are a lot worse looking sticks out there. It sits nice & square and looks huge behind the ball.

I managed to play 18 holes after work and to be perfectly honest after 9 holes I was composing an Ebay listing in my head for the L4V and I was feeling gutted. :( I just couldn't get it up in the air. The few I hit ok went about 250 but very low, would have plenty of run in the dry weather though.

I use a silver Castle tee which is a set height of 2" and I just couldn't help think it wasn't high enough. The face of the L4V is a lot taller than my Pro S it measures 6cm. I normally like having the whole ball above the face of the club. I didn't have any pro length tee's & the longest I had were only 6cm's before pushing them in the ground. I went back to hitting the Pro S (which needs a new shaft as the Speeder in it is just a POS) and hit it ok. On the 14th I had a rumage through my bag and found a rubber tee from the driving range. It was still only 2" long but the castle tee slots inside and I then had a 3" tee. Here it is the future;-

Picture.jpg

So on the 14th it was last chance saloon (I'd nealy completed my mental listing). First shot I played at the bunker on the right and went for a draw. It exploded off the face and carried the bunker about 255 yards out & plugged in the semi. I then hit another two one pretty much the same and the 3rd found a dry piece of ground and rolled another 20 yards or so. The next couple of holes I just coulkdn't hit a bad drive with it. High, slight draw and very long carry's. On the 16th I went from the plates. The hole measures 371 yards. The fairway has a massive bomb hole which to carry is about 250 yards. I hit 2 drives the 1st flew to the 100 yard marker and plugged dead centre of the fairway. The 2nd wasn't a great strike it flew quite a lot lower but was only about 10 yards back. I can't wait for the ground to firm up and the weather to warm up (it was 7*c today) so I can see what this thing can really do. I hit two great drives on 17. One was out of the bottom left of the sweet spot it flew about 250 (uphill hole). The 2nd was out of the top right of the sweet spot and it landed about 2 yards from the 1st one, they both flew with a nice tight draw. I thought with it tee'd up high it was impossable to hit a bad drive. So I hit a 3rd drive, really going after it with no control what so ever and hit a horrable low slice!!! Back to earth with a bump. :)
Picture.jpg

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
The MP600 was a great piece of kit just a shame the track catches the ground on the take away BUT it is no where near as forgiving as this thing.

Pictures;-:wow:

Picture 282.jpg

Picture 283.jpg

Picture 284.jpg

Picture 286.jpg

:idhitit:
Picture 282.jpg
Picture 283.jpg
Picture 284.jpg
Picture 286.jpg

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
one more;-

Picture 287.jpg

Picture 288.jpg

Does it Rock??? Yes but the saying 'Tee it high, watch it fly' was invented for this stick.
Picture 287.jpg
Picture 288.jpg

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I would rather perch my ball up on a pile of shit than use that god awful tee.

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I would rather perch my ball up on a pile of shit than use that god awful tee.

:horse: Well if it works!!!

I won't be using that thing again I will be purchasing some ProLength Massive Tees tomorrow.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
The MP600 was a great piece of kit just a shame the track catches the ground on the take away BUT it is no where near as forgiving as this thing.
I forgot you had that problem with the Mizzie. Don't mind me. I'm just a meddling American.

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
I played with a guy sunday that hit this driver. He hit if far and well.....but it did have a funny sound to it.

Jason

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
WBL, It's the L4V X-Speed 9 degree. The shaft is the Diamana Red Board, Exclusive design for Cobra. This particular one is great to be honest but the for Cobra shafts are very hit and miss in my experiance. I have had 2 Cobra Pro S's. The 1st was a 10.5 degree and the Speeder in it was superb. I've now got a 9.5 degree one with exactly the same Spec Speeder shaft and it plays like a noodle!?!?

EDIT;- If you sell all your drivers you could probably afford one, you only need one driver after all ;)

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
You tossing that FT-i now?

R35

Not sure yet. I really like the FTi but my distance was down with it. I could hit a great little cut with it that found most fairways so I'm gonna see how the Cobra performs fairways hit wise before I let it go or not. TBH, I think a 8.5 neutral will be on the cards if the Cobra fails. :) A ho's work is never done!!!

🔥 Latest posts