• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Does swing speed = distance??

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Bottom line is swing speed alone does not dictate distance. Ball spin rate and launch angle also are important. :D

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
I did blow a hole through the range net and through the drywall behind the cage. That was sweet. :laugh:

R35

I once hit a PW so hard that it went through the net and hit the flourecent lights in the ceiling and shattered them.

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
Swingspeed does = distance, but also like others have said you have to factor in Ballspeed, lauch angle, and spin. Most of these factors can be maximized by getting the proper shaft and loft. Way too many variable when dealing with clubs, you might hit a 905R higher than a Hibore, etc... Then if you find an optimum loft for a particular head like say a 905R then you change the shaft to a low, mid, high launch then you just changed your launch angle. Too bad you cannot demo a specific club/shaft combo before you buy.

FKA19

winter ho'in
May 21, 2006
if your ss with a 6i is 88, and you usually average 165 then you must not be hitting the centre of the face much and getting a bad smash factor, or you are getting the wrong launch angle (ie. coming too steep or flat at the ball) my 6i is my 180 club, and i swing it about the same speed as you. could also be something to do with ballooning the ball cuase of shaft flex being incorrect.

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
if your ss with a 6i is 88, and you usually average 165 then you must not be hitting the centre of the face much and getting a bad smash factor, or you are getting the wrong launch angle (ie. coming too steep or flat at the ball) my 6i is my 180 club, and i swing it about the same speed as you. could also be something to do with ballooning the ball cuase of shaft flex being incorrect.

Its because he is playing pings.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Short answer? Yes,swing speed=distance

What shafts have you got in the i3s? The CS Lites,JZ,ZZ65 and ZZ-Lites all play differently,so the comment about not middling the face could be nonsense.If you know you are middling the shots at that swing speed then it could be the shafts,you may be using CS Lites and need ZZ 65s.What shafts are they?

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
The best combination is to get a launch monitor outside. Don't pay attention to the distance, you should know if it's longer or shorter, and when it comes to irons, why does it matter?

To answer the question in the title, yes, swing speed does equal distance, but not solely swing speed. There are many many variables.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I meant swing speed by itself doesn't always mean more distance. 100 mph ss with good contact, 3000 rpm spin and 14º launch will go alot farther then a 110 mph ss with poor contact, 4000 rpm (slice) spin and 12º launch angle etc etc. Obviously, all other factors being equal ss = distance. :D

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Wow Warbird, lemme know more about this RPM bit. Never seen it, but I understand the idea behind it. So 3000 is ideal? Do they have a sort of..chart, equating RPM to degrees of slice, with the variable being your swing speed? Sounds interesting.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Wow Warbird, lemme know more about this RPM bit. Never seen it, but I understand the idea behind it. So 3000 is ideal? Do they have a sort of..chart, equating RPM to degrees of slice, with the variable being your swing speed? Sounds interesting.

JEFF4i

Just use this link and put different settings to it. Thank R35 for this link too!! :D

http://www.sonicboomgolf.com/distanceoptimizationdashboard.swf

OP
REFLOG

REFLOG

Aug 27, 2006
They are CS Lites stiff

Short answer? Yes,swing speed=distance

What shafts have you got in the i3s? The CS Lites,JZ,ZZ65 and ZZ-Lites all play differently,so the comment about not middling the face could be nonsense.If you know you are middling the shots at that swing speed then it could be the shafts,you may be using CS Lites and need ZZ 65s.What shafts are they?

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Right,they are the highest flying shafts in the Ping line up,you may need a change.Go to a Ping centre and have them check you out.the ZZ65s are the heaviest and stiffest (a bit less so than a DG s300 in imho,for comparison).The CS lites are very light,I can't use them.ZZ Lites and ZZs are somewhere in between.They are all lighter than the Dgs though,hence why I like them,but imo,you do loose a bit of distance.I am going to Project X this year for this reason.

Staff online

Members online