• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Does swing speed = distance??

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Bottom line is swing speed alone does not dictate distance. Ball spin rate and launch angle also are important. :D

Bingo.

Swing speed with every thing else being ideal can assume a distance of 2.5 of carry yards for every mph of swing speed. Ball speed is a good indicator of the solidness of your contact with the ball. There is a formula for this as well but I dont have it handy at the moment. Launch angle should be a about 14* to gain optimal carry.

solarbear88

Jan 3, 2007
Ever seen a large guy with a relatively slow swing hit it for miles? How is this possible? What role does strength play in the swing in generating distance?

Simple analaogy. My mate and I hit most of our irons about the same distance, yet he is a much faster swinger and it doesn't seem to matter what clubs we use. How is this possible?

I have my own theory but am curious what others think.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Strength is not a major factor in generating swing speed. Dont get me wrong, you cant be an 80 pound weakling or anything, but most healthy, average strength men can hit roughly the same speed with proper technique, at least with a tee'd up ball. Hitting out of rough ect, can be strength affected.

Appearance of speed and actual speed are usually very differant. Our own Ezra looks like he is swinging out of his socks and Reteif Goosen looks like he is ready for a nap. Yet goosen's swing speed in a full 10-15 mph faster.
Swing speed is a combination of many things, strength having one of the smallest roles.

solarbear88

Jan 3, 2007
Strength is not a major factor in generating swing speed. Dont get me wrong, you cant be an 80 pound weakling or anything, but most healthy, average strength men can hit roughly the same speed with proper technique, at least with a tee'd up ball. Hitting out of rough ect, can be strength affected.

Appearance of speed and actual speed are usually very differant. Our own Ezra looks like he is swinging out of his socks and Reteif Goosen looks like he is ready for a nap. Yet goosen's swing speed in a full 10-15 mph faster.
Swing speed is a combination of many things, strength having one of the smallest roles.

But that is my question. How can a guy with lower swingspeed hit it further than a guy with higher? I see it happen all the time.

solarbear88

Jan 3, 2007

But that is my question. How can a guy with lower swingspeed hit it further than a guy with higher? I see it happen all the time. And I dont mean swinging out of your shoes, I mean a generally faster transfer through the ball.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
They haven't got lower swingspeeds,you are confusing slower tempo with slower swingspeed.Els may swing slower than say Stenson,his tempo is slower,but his swing speed is identical,they hit the ball identical distances.Then look at Ross Fisher,not as tall as either or them and 11 stone dripping wet,no real muscle defintion to speak of (yet both Stenson and Els are well over 6 ft and clearly work out,Els is one mother of a big man).Yet Fisher IS LONGER than both,off the tee and irons.

SWingspeed comes from different things,and amateurs as a guide is also a mistake.Their clubs aren't fitted,wrong shaft,kick points,torque,tips,whatever,they don't have good swings and don't middle it every time,its entirely possibel to see one handicapper 7ft tall and gorilla like swing himself off his feet be out driven by a dwarf with anorexia,fopr all the reasons above.Pros are different,just don't confuse rythym and tempo for swingspeed.Goosen and Els out drive Nick Price and Darren Clarke,both faster swingers.

Swingspeed comes from waist high and technically what happened before,not how fast you swing

solarbear88

Jan 3, 2007
They haven't got lower swingspeeds,you are confusing slower tempo with slower swingspeed.Els may swing slower than say Stenson,his tempo is slower,but his swing speed is identical,they hit the ball identical distances.Then look at Ross Fisher,not as tall as either or them and 11 stone dripping wet,no real muscle defintion to speak of (yet both Stenson and Els are well over 6 ft and clearly work out,Els is one mother of a big man).Yet Fisher IS LONGER than both,off the tee and irons.

SWingspeed comes from different things,and amateurs as a guide is also a mistake.Their clubs aren't fitted,wrong shaft,kick points,torque,tips,whatever,they don't have good swings and don't middle it every time,its entirely possibel to see one handicapper 7ft tall and gorilla like swing himself off his feet be out driven by a dwarf with anorexia,fopr all the reasons above.Pros are different,just don't confuse rythym and tempo for swingspeed.Goosen and Els out drive Nick Price and Darren Clarke,both faster swingers.

Swingspeed comes from waist high and technically what happened before,not how fast you swing

Ok on a launchy my friend is about 8 mph faster than me. But we hit about the same distance with irons. We've both tried various clubs and demo'd things together but we are consistantly about the same, if anything his current set of irons seem to give him a better ballflight than mine do me. There must be some other factors involved.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
There are,as I said,flex for one,and launch angle, probably the most important as Lyle said.Blades for example spin more than game improvement irons,so moi and general spin rates will also be a huge factor

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
One thing (not yet mentioned?) that makes a HUGE difference on two golfers with equal swing speed is the one that consistently makes the best contact on the club face "sweet spot" is going to be far longer then the other. That little sweet spot is very important. I shortened my backswing many years ago and gained about 30-40 yards on my drives because now I can control my club head and hit the sweet spot. :D

solarbear88

Jan 3, 2007
I guess the thing I am getting at is what accounts for the ratio of ballspeed to swingspeed. Some guys seem to have a higher ratio and hit the ball just as far as the guys with more swingspeed but a lesser ratio.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Increased ballspeed is a result of hitting the ball closer to the sweetspot.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I've had quite a few rounds where I'm hitting the driver shorter than guys I am swinging way faster than. I've got like 3 to 4 clubs on them on the par 3's. I've had it happen several times that I'll pull a 3wood and start blowing it 20yds. past them and 30yds. past my other drives. Solid center contact is #1 on the list. When you are talking pro ballstriking, then swingspeed = distance for sure.

🔥 Latest posts